Volume Error Message

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
wydchr
Starting out

Volume Error Message

Post by wydchr »

Hi all,

I just started my TS-469Pro after it being shutdown for approximately 5 months (NAS in 2nd home in France which is only used for 6 months of the year) only to see the above error message and being unable to see my data, after trawling through several topics on here I carried out a couple of commands that had heled others :

# 'md_checker' which showed my 4 disk raid 5 configuration to be OFFLINE

# 'mdadm -CfR --assume-clean /dev/md1 -l 5 -n 4 -c 64 -e 1.0 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd3' the status of my raid 5 then showed ONLINE

I tried a raid recovery but that failed and so I performed this instruction # '/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh' and now although I still have the raid 5 there is no storage pool or volume!!!

Obviously it seems I shouldn't have done that :-( but now I can't create another storage pool as when I try it shows no disks available??

So my question now is can I restore my original storage pool and volume or if not how can I create another storage pool and volume, and if I manage to do that successfully will my original data still be okay.
The data is not that important as it is mostly media i.e. music and films and I have it backed up on a second NAS in the UK but it would be handy if it could be restored.

Oh I forgot to mention that when I initially switched on the NAS there was a firmware update to perform which I completed okay, if that has any relevance to my initial problem.

Thanks for looking and any help offered in advance...
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Volume Error Message

Post by dolbyman »

unclear what happened that the RAID dismounted (a full output of the md_checker would have been great)

I say, remove the disks, test them, format them (both externally) and then start from scratch
wydchr
Starting out

Post by wydchr »

Hi dolbyman,

Thanks for your quick response...
I can provide that output data if you think it might help?
Prior to everything I did above I did see a message saying that a fatal error had occurred on disk 4 and I tried to do a rapid test which would not start. I removed all the drives and cleaned the whole housing and drives.
I then returned them but with disk 4 into disk 3 bay and tried the test again which completed okay with no drive errors. I then put the disk back into its own bay and rebooted the NAS and checked all the disks info with no errors on any of them except for S.M.A.R.T. warnings on disks 1 and 4 that have been there for many years (they appeared soon after I bought the disks from WD). That's when I read the forum posts and carried out the instructions mentioned in my first post.

Your last comment sounds like you're indicating that my chances of retrieving any data are zero and that I really I need to start again, if so should I get new disks given that I have some warnings/errors and again, if so, which ones (make and model) would you recommend for my 9 year old 4 bay TS-469P - as mentioned above I have WD Reds 4TB WD30EFRX presently.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The disk error should have been mentioned

the md_checker output would have been useful for a event counter comparison, to see if one or more drives drifted. Syncing drives together (assume clean) with drifted event counters is a way for disaster
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

wydchr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:42 pm after trawling through several topics on here I carried out a couple of commands that had heled others :
As a general recommendation, never ever run random commands that you find on internet, without having an understanding of your issue.
The md_checker output could have indications of drive failures.. as mentioned by dolbyman
But you have re-created the RAID, so..
I would suggest you to contact QNAP support, as they can remote connect to the NAS to check the issue.

-
wydchr
Starting out

Post by wydchr »

Thanks for your replies guys, I think I'll do as dolbyman had suggested earlier and re-format my disks and start again as my data is not that important. I will however take onboard your comment diwiwi and not run random commands thinking I am fixing my problems when in fact I am exacerbating them :(
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Even if no raid was set, 4 x 4TB are 16TB data (gross) capacity. Nowadays "simple" USB drives hold 20+TB, so buy one and do backups!
A NAS is for availability if one disks fails (or, depending to raid level, more). But a NAS is not a backup, as you learned now.
If your data is not so important (as you mentioned), then its up to you if you prefer to start from scratch every time such an error occurs. :wink:

Regards

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”