Rebuild RAID 1 without losing RAID 5 data

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
pinoylicious
Starting out

Rebuild RAID 1 without losing RAID 5 data

Post by pinoylicious »

Hi, may I please get some help.

I have a TVS-872XT running system/apps on 2 m.2 SSD in RAID 1 and 3 SATA drives for my data on RAID 5 (I have an extra SATA drive if that helps). I was told by support that I have to replace both M.2 drives and recreate the RAID 1 pool (both drives are bad). If you want to minimize downtime, but also not lose access to my data/apps (shared drives, plex). What's the ideal way to recover from this? I would prefer not to deal with reconfiguring my shares or plex again if at all possible.

Thank you
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Rebuild RAID 1 without losing RAID 5 data

Post by dolbyman »

If the RAID with your system volume is broken, then your have lost all your apps, if you did not make any backups of your .qpkg folder before then it is too late now.

The system (OS) is on ALL internal drives, so when you remove the M2 drives, the system would still boot up (as the RAID5 drives have copies of your OS on them)
pinoylicious
Starting out

Post by pinoylicious »

Hi dolbyman! You were helping me on the other thread regarding RAID 1 not recreating. I contacted support and it turns out that both my drives needed to be replaced. slot 2 which was the initial problem has my new drive that I had bought and tried to rebuild. according to support it's because the slot 1 drive ALSO has bad sectors. My NAS is still up and running, but i'm about to go out and pick up another m.2 drive. Why I'm asking on the best way to get everything set back up the way it was before without losing my configuration. If it's possible, I don't want to reconfigure plex again and i'm also concerned about losing my file shares/folders.

Should I migrate the apps I care about (plex) to the RAID5 pool?
If I boot up without my RAID 1 m.2 drives - will everything work as before?
- Folder shares, Plex; That's kind of all I care about.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

IF you still have access to the RAID1 data, you can either backup your .qpkg/Plex folder OR try to migrate the APP to a different volume. (Not many apps allow this, but Plex is one of them)
pinoylicious
Starting out

Post by pinoylicious »

Migrated Plex to my working pool before I removed/replaced my RAID 1 set. Shut down, then removed the m.2 Raid 1 set. Replaced both SSDs and it came back up just fine. Then just rebuilt the set and moved Plex back. All set. Thanks dolbyman, for all of your help (across multiple threads).

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”