ReSync time keeps extending not shortening

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
chrisd015
New here

ReSync time keeps extending not shortening

Post by chrisd015 »

I was given a TS-431 with 4 * 2Tb drives in it, fully functioning. Updated all firmware and software to latest supported by the unit. Replaced the Barracudas with 4 * Ironwolf 8Tb NAS drives: 2 new + 2 approx 1 year old, all freshly formatted. Ran through the 'set-up from scratch' wizard and decided on RAID 6. First steps all OK and took a few hours. Then Resync started, about 18 hours ago. It began by saying 155 hours needed, then 120, next 130. I changed the priority to 'ReSync First (High speed)' and it moved to 134. Now, 8 hours later it's saying 137 hours needed. Additionally, the numbers reported by Storage Management are different from the ones reported by the upper level QTS notification panel.
Why does it require so long? Why the inconsistencies? Why did changing priority not improve things?
What am I missing??
dolbyman
Guru

Re: ReSync time keeps extending not shortening

Post by dolbyman »

The whole block storage needs to by synchronized, this can take a while

To check the current speed and projected time do a

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat
chrisd015
New here

Post by chrisd015 »

Ta. It reports: resync = 15.1% (1182232404/7804071616) finish=7150.9min speed=15433K/sec
So just under 5 days to finish.
Am I right in thinking I should wait for it before loading data because that will just slow it down?
And is the lesson here?: Don't believe anything the web interface tells you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That speed could fluctuate, it depends on the HDD performance AND CPU usage.

You can already put data on the NAS but it would slow down the sync and the transfer, up to you
chrisd015
New here

Post by chrisd015 »

Last one: Is there a command to tell me the total uptime/power cycles of the device itself? Can't find anything in the web interface (doesn't mean it isn't there, of course).
Reason: The unit was manufactured in May 2015. From a wholesaler's sticker it seems possible it was first sold to an end user less than 12 months ago. I'd like to judge/guess how much I can trust it to last a reasonable time. Unlike hard disk manufacturers, QNAP refused to tell me their MTBF or failure rate for these units.
I lied. This is the last question: Where would I find out a list of available commands from the SSH interface?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The OS is on the drives and the setup bootstrapper on the DOM ..both can be user swapped and erased, so they would not be a reliable indicator of the NAS age or usage

You can check the serial number for the manufacturing year..it starts with QXX (with XX indicating the year Q19 =2019, etc)
chrisd015
New here

Post by chrisd015 »

Yeah, S/N confirms 2015.
Thanks for your help.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”