SSD's greyed out when trying to set up cache acceleration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
j_oakley
New here

SSD's greyed out when trying to set up cache acceleration

Post by j_oakley »

I recently purchased a TS-H973AX because I would like to edit my Red footage from the drive. In order to do that I need to cache acceleration to be up and running.

I purchased 2 1 TB Wester Digital Red's for drives 3 and 4 and plan to purchase some NVMe drives in the future. When I go to set up cache acceleration, drives 3 and 4 are greyed out and it will not let me proceed.
I do believe that my system pool is set to those drives and that they are Raid 0.

I'd appreciate any help you all can provide, I'm a bit out of my depth with this stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qrusher
Know my way around

Re: SSD's greyed out when trying to set up cache acceleration

Post by qrusher »

BIOS for TS-h973AX
Q071AR10
2022-01-25
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Afaik you cant use same SSDs for a pool (data) and for cache. So if you already used this SSDs for setting up a pool, you are done.
And btw: raid0 is in most cases a bad configuration. If one disk (SSD) is lost, data is lost.
Even more: when using cache you ***should*** use raid1 for cache. If cache is not accessible, your data pool is inaccessible too.
Forum is full of threads where turns out, that cache in 99% of use cases brings more harm than good.

Not sure, if this is only valid for QTS or QuTS Hero too. Neither using cache nor Hero at my end.

Regards
j_oakley
New here

Post by j_oakley »

FSC830 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:19 am Afaik you cant use same SSDs for a pool (data) and for cache. So if you already used this SSDs for setting up a pool, you are done.
And btw: raid0 is in most cases a bad configuration. If one disk (SSD) is lost, data is lost.
Even more: when using cache you ***should*** use raid1 for cache. If cache is not accessible, your data pool is inaccessible too.
Forum is full of threads where turns out, that cache in 99% of use cases brings more harm than good.

Not sure, if this is only valid for QTS or QuTS Hero too. Neither using cache nor Hero at my end.

Regards
I read somewhere that my system pool should be the SSD's is that actually necessary? It feels like a waste to use two 1TB SSD's just for the system pool if they cannot be used as a cache accelerator and a system pool at the same time. Also, I'll look into changing to Raid 1. Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No need for cache

I have the system volume(2x NVMe RAID1) also sepperate from my fast storage volume (4x SATA SSD in RAID5)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”