HDD on bay 4 replaced but says "empty"

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: HDD on bay 4 replaced but says "empty"

Post by dolbyman »

take all the drives out ..clean them (e.g. diskpart with clean option) and then start the system like new
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

Hello Dolbyman, you mean connect every hdd to windows/mac/linux pc via cable, clear each one and then try to rebuild the qnap from "scratch" like new? Thank you.
Ahh one more thing... I should perform this activity using the disk that I suppose that is failing (but is not the disk, is the bay...) right?

Thank you
Last edited by jqsecofr on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes..(no idea how that would work on a mac)

Best would be a USB dock
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:40 pm Yes..(no idea how that would work on a mac)

Best would be a USB dock
Yes, I have a cable SATA --> usb, I will try with that one, and I will force the original "failing disk"... that generate all this, but aparently is the bay, no the disk...

I will let you know!
Thank you
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you think the bay is the actual issue..you might want to peek here

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:48 pm If you think the bay is the actual issue..you might want to peek here

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212
Ops... exactly same symptom, I will read the pages to see what was (if any) the solution... before to erase the disks but, I already saved the data, so I can play with the disks too...

Thank you Dolbyman!
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:34 pm take all the drives out ..clean them (e.g. diskpart with clean option) and then start the system like new
I tried that, and starting with the disk on error (disk first and then bay)... after 3 hours working, I received the message: "diskpart found an error, semaphore timeout period expired..."

So... other new error, I will try with other disks...
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

Well, I did something different...
Because I do not have any data... I marked the disk on bay 4 (initial issue) with a marker.. I put that disk on bay 1 (without plug) and powered off/on the NAS... of course, the NAS started asking for disks... so I added the disk 1 (really I moved the disk 4 to bay 1), so.. the process started... there the NAS asked me about what firmware to use (use the same one, the latest one..), the process begin... the nas restarts, then I add the disk 2, after a while the disk 3, and after that, disk 4... oki, the 4 disks in green status, ready, everything looks GOOD..

I waited a couple of hours, nothing wrong... then I decided to create a volume.. oki, the process started, everything looks good... the volume is in ready status but, synchonising.. ok, when the synchro is in 17%... is freezed on that number... for a while, for a while... until the bay 4 is off and of course, the volume status changed again to "degraded".

So, my conclusion is... if the problem is the bay... why the 4 disks are OK and green initially and if I do nothing, is everithing OK and... when I try to create/use the disks that generate the problem and the bay change to off... ??

That is not possible to be a firmware problem and not a HW problem? If the problem is the HW... the disk never could be in green/ok status... I think.

Maybe, I can start the complete process but using an older firmware version? That is a possibility... right?

I will check the qnap page or forum and try to download a previous FMW version to try a downgrade...
cs94njw
First post

Post by cs94njw »

Just upgraded to the latest firmware QTS 5.1.1.2491, on my TS-451+, and my 2 x WD Red drives have reappeared.
I then clicked on "Recover Raid Group" and it seems to be working again....
jqsecofr
Starting out

Post by jqsecofr »

Hello team.. some updates for this case.
On last September, i payed a RMA and vía the local CAS here in Argentina, qnap repaired (?) My nas.. the cost was U$S170.
The NAS was repaired, I bring the NAS back to Home, etc.. everything good.. after 3 months, last sunday December 18th, the NAS back to make lots of BEEPS.. I checked the status and.. red light and the bay 4 light powered off.. 😔😔
So, 3 months after repairs the NAS, the issue is back again.

I checked the backplane and the serial is the same than the previous one, SO the backplane was "repaired" and not changed?
The serial is 21701032011, i think that each backplane should have diferent serial, right?
What do You think?

Thank you and happy new year!!!
tux1980
First post

Post by tux1980 »

Hi,

the answers here are not very useful @jpsecofr. I think you and I, we both have a broken QNAP. I have the P431 with 4 Slots and 4 4TB disks (NAS Disks of course).

I'm running into the same issue for 4 weeks now, also with a new disks in slot 3. So I did exchange the disk already and tried several other troubleshooting measurements, without any positve results unfortunately.

Code: Select all

===============================================================================================
 Enclosure | Port | Block Dev Name | # | Status |   Last Update Time   | Events | Array State
===============================================================================================
 NAS_HOST       1        /dev/sda3   0   Active   Mar 16 10:19:37 2024   502209   AA.A                     
 NAS_HOST       2        /dev/sdb3   1   Active   Mar 16 10:19:37 2024   502209   AA.A                     
[b] ----------------------------------  2  Missing   -------------------------------------------[/b]
 NAS_HOST       4        /dev/sdc3   3   Active   Mar 16 10:19:37 2024   502209   AA.A                     
I have no Idea what only leaves the result - the NAS is maybe damaged. Same as with you, always when putting in a new disks the NAS is going to rebuild and after some time it claimes the disk slot would be empty, no disk. This is nothing about a broken disk as some answers here suggest in that thread.

If anyone have an idea.... :(

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

And you did check if the mosfets for this slot are damaged ?

If not, don't complain about the answers if you ignore them

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”