How to add a new HDD to a RAID group and its parent storage pool

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
FireMeUp84Q
New here

How to add a new HDD to a RAID group and its parent storage pool

Post by FireMeUp84Q »

Pardon my ignorance. I'm running QNAP QTS 5.1.0.2348. I just inserted a new Seagate 20TB HDD (already formatted in Windows 10) into the QNAP. I wish to make the HDD's storage available in an existing RAID 0 group.

1) I select Storage & Snapshots, and there's single storage pool, which is highlighted. I click on Manage: Storage Pool 1 Management opens up.
Untitled.png
2) I click on Action/Expand Pool. Only Create and add a new RAID group is available. Add new disk(s) to an existing RAID group is greyed out. Why is the latter option not available?

3) With Create available, I click on Next. The new HDD shows up, with RAID type Single (other options are greyed out in the dropdown).

4) I click on Next. I'm informed a different type of RAID group could cause performance degredation.
Untitled.png
Not good. What's wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: How to add a new HDD to a RAID group and its parent storage pool

Post by FSC830 »

Referring to manual, a raid0 can not be expanded.
Raid-groups/pools capable for expansion referring to manual: RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 50 or RAID 60.

Regards

BTW: Why is new disk formatted in Windows? No need for that as NAS uses its own filesystem.
FireMeUp84Q
New here

Post by FireMeUp84Q »

OK, I didn't know RAID0 groups cannot be expanded. But what about the message that there might be a performance degradation?

About formatting in Windows: I chose to do this because I want a full format of the HDD, not a quick format. Probably it's possible to achieve this in QTS, but I didn't take the trouble to research how.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Adding a disk to a raidgroup/pool requires that data is restructered (distributed across all disks).
This usually decreases response times for host access. The priority for a rebuild can be set to low, medium, high, default is medium.

Regards
FireMeUp84Q
New here

Post by FireMeUp84Q »

Let me state what I really want.

I have a storage pool, which comprises 3 HDDs and 1 RAID0 group; the pool has 2 (thick) data volumes. One of the volumes is about 94% used. Hence I want to give that volume more capacity, in the form of the 20TB HDD I've mentioned. How shall I use the HDD to increase the size of the volume?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can add a single disk to a pool, as you already rock a RAID0 (that explodes upon single failure) you not adding much more of a full failure risk anyways (so you backup game is surely superb .. right?)

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 3B59D.html

in your case the 'RAID group' would just be a single disk
FireMeUp84Q
New here

Post by FireMeUp84Q »

Thanks. That worked.

As for backup, the QNAP is a backup for data that are on a Windows system.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Ok..so you can always restore the data from these systems (if not..then the NAS is NOT a backup)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”