Adding a Disk to a QuTSHero Array

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jprobins
Starting out

Adding a Disk to a QuTSHero Array

Post by jprobins »

I apologize for asking a question to which I am rather afraid I already know the answer. I am setting up a new NAS (TVS-h674). It turns out one of the HDD's was DOA. Doesn't read at all. I will return it for a replacement, but it will take a bit (OK, just 5 days) to get the replacement. I would rather like to go ahead and configure the NAS (storage pools, raid level, etc.) now, mostly because I am impatient. I believe it would be possible under QTS to simply add the replacement HDD to the RAID group when it arrives. However, if I have understood what I have read, it may not be possible under QuTSHero. Is there any way to add additional HDD to an existing RAID group under QuTSHero?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Adding a Disk to a QuTSHero Array

Post by dolbyman »

You can only add pools and if that would be a single disk (in the case of a later on added disk) then this would be a single point of failure (all data killed if this disk goes)

Either wait or start again from scratch in 5 days (a good way to test your backups..AWLAYS have backups)
jprobins
Starting out

Post by jprobins »

Thanks, once again, Dolbyman
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

Are you going to set your system pool on HDDs? It's recommended you use SSDs for that (say, 2xM.2s in RAID1), and if you already have those, you can start setting up your NAS except for creating the HDD pool.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”