Legacy Volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
gkelly50
Starting out

Legacy Volume

Post by gkelly50 »

Hello All

HELP is required, I am a small business operator

I had a TS420 QTS4.2 with 4 x 2 tb Seagate drives. After two years I bought a TS-932px and moved my disks to the new machine as per the instructions on Qnap.

On the TS-932PX QTS 5 it shows that I have a Legacy Volume in Raid, I also added 4 SSD into as Storage Pool 1 thin volume as Raid 5

I now find that I have a need to add larger HDDs so I propose to buy either 5 X 8TB or 12TB HDDs.

Reading through the Qnap documents it explains that I can swap/change the HDD one by one then expand the Raid to accommodate the larger disk without losing my data. OK

BUT

I do not see where I can add a the new disk (moving from 4 to 5) as it is greyed out in the manage section in QTS 5 ??

Also do I need to change the Legacy Volume to a thin or thick volume? Some posts talk about backing up the data (but to backup 4tb is not possible for me). I ask as others posts indicate that having a Legacy Volume is a no no

Your help will be appreciated
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Legacy Volume

Post by dolbyman »

Legacy volumes are limited in many ways..one is a max volume limit of 16TB..no way to solve it ..kill and restore from backups (always have backups)
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Nowadays USB drives with 14/16/+ TB are available for not so much bucks. Smaller USB drives 4/6/8 TB are even cheaper.
So there is no excuse for "not backing up 4TB".
BTW: what will you do, if your NAS fails?

Regards
gkelly50
Starting out

Post by gkelly50 »

All

Your are all correct and I have now got hold of 16tb hdd to be used for backup for now and the future but your responses did not answer the question re adding a disk to a legacy volume?

I have also read another Qnap FAQ which has really confused me as it states that you have to create a new volume/pool when removing an old legacy volume, but that wipes the drives clean?

How? as if you remove the legacy volume it also removes the system. So how can you create new volumes with no system files?

It shows that I do not fully understand NAS so I thought that I would ask yourselves
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

The OS is is always at all disks/SSD in NAS, so you can dismiss the old legacy volume, remove the disks and insert the new disks.
Create a new pool or static volume (whatever you prefer), create a volume and restore data from the USB drive back to the newly created storage object.
If you want to wipe the old drives:
1. quick'n dirty: connect each drive to a PC and remove all partition information - done (unsecure)
Well unsecure is not really true: to recover data someone needs all disks, recover all partition information and rebuild the raid in correct order. Not impossible, but time consimung
2. same as 1. but create a new partition covering whole disk space and use afterwards a progam like DBAN to erase disk in a secure way - done.

Regards
gkelly50
Starting out

Post by gkelly50 »

Many thanks

I was told that the system files are on the HDD as are all of the applications, but if I read your response its is also on the SSD so as you say I can remove the old drives and recreate from my usb backup to the new drives.

I will do this shortly and let you know

Again thank you
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

No, only the QTS is mirrored to all media, but afaik not all of the applications. A lot of application resides inside system volume (thats the first volume you have created).
So if system volume is inside the legacy volume (I am sure it is), then you need to re-install these apps and their settings.
For some applications you can choose an installation path while installing, but again: my guess is that at the old legacy volume all apps will lost.

Regards
gkelly50
Starting out

Post by gkelly50 »

Thank you all for your assistance

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”