TS-251 Didnt see 2nd bay harrdisk after fan 1 was failed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-251 Didnt see 2nd bay harrdisk after fan 1 was failed

Post by dolbyman »

you said you had issues ..fixed them via firmware downgrade

that should be adressed with qnap support then
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Keano16 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm But last night I saw I have the processor affected with this "bug" causing the NAS to fail.
And that is why I asked what should I do.
My device is working fine
Someone else with a still working NAS model affected by the hardware defect posted about this in another thread here (there are a handful of threads discussing this topic spread throughout this forum). I can't be bothered to locate the specific thread and post, sorry, but it went something like this. They contacted QNAP support and asked what they should do to prevent the premature death of their NAS. QNAP's response was essentially: you should use the NAS less and turn it off when not in use to prolong its life.

This may sound like an unacceptable answer, but there is really not much else they can do other than implementing a recall and repair/replacement program. Since the standard warranty of being free of defects is for 2 years, they are under no obligation to provide this service at no cost to the user.

The hardware failure occurs because of circuitry degradation over time inside an Intel chip (possibly the CPU itself, not sure), while powered on. The time of failure seems to vary between users, from 4 to 6 years, and it's not clear to me if CPU usage (higher or lower) is a factor, or simply powered-on time.

I'm in the same boat as you. My advice would be to have good backups at all times, and devise a plan to be prepared for the inevitable. Either go for the resistor soldering DYI solution, but that is only a temporary solution, which longevity is unknown at this point. Or budget for purchasing a new NAS (QNAP or other...). Or send the NAS back to QNAP for repair/replacement, probably at about the same cost as a new one, if not more. If you purchase a new QNAP NAS as replacement, it should be possible to just transfer the disks from the dead NAS to the new one and go on as if nothing happened, assuming they both have roughly the same firmware version. That seems to be the easiest path, but certainly not the cheapest.
Keano16
Starting out

Post by Keano16 »

Thanks so much on a detailed reply.

Please just confirm that this is covered by warranty?

My warranty is 5 years........ 2 years + 3 extended.
QNAP TS-251+
2 x WD40FRX RED inside (2 x 4GB).
Keano16
Starting out

Post by Keano16 »

p.s.
What is the alternative to TS-251+? I see no other alternative within 2-bay devices range.
QNAP TS-251+
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the warranty question should be asked to qnap...not a user forum
Keano16
Starting out

Post by Keano16 »

I don't agree with you. I am sure someone over here in the forums know if this is covered or not. Thank you.
QNAP TS-251+
mathr
Starting out

Post by mathr »

Keano16 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm As I said..... my device is working fine.

But last night I saw I have the processor affected with this "bug" causing the NAS to fail.

actually if it works fine, my guess is the support will likely do nothing.
Within my ticket, they were pretty active, but stick to the standard issues (firmware, and revive DOM) they just gave up by offering 20% discount to buy another one (but i didn't had extra warranty).
Do not hesitate to Open a ticket and you will see.

Regarding the 100 Ohms trick, please read posts from yujungchang , he explain very well what to do. depending on the voltage between pins 1 and 8, different resitor migth be used (pull down or up).
but this is to make the device booting properly.
At some point, the CPU is degraded enough to prevent the device to boot. this trick is a workaround. but the CPU will continue to degrade. and finally will never boot up again.

In your case, as you said it is still working fine, you can continue to use your device, provided your backup plan is strong enough : continue to backup regularly as you do.

from what i could see, when finally the board couldn't boot, don't panic, the data are still on the drives. equivalent QNAP NAS could be used to recover them (migration procedure or similar), or a simple normal linux can be used to mount the array. (i used a RAID1 array, static, it was pretty straightforward to recover the data without buying another QNAP NAS)
TS-251 - 4 Gb - 2x 4Tb Seagate ST4000DM005
Firmware : 5.0.0.2131 - HBS3 : 17.0.0512
Keano16
Starting out

Post by Keano16 »

Thank you so much
QNAP TS-251+
Cris70
Starting out

Post by Cris70 »

Keano16 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm As I said..... my device is working fine.

But last night I saw I have the processor affected with this "bug" causing the NAS to fail.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I think my NAS is affected by the same bug, and I'd like to know how do you found out that your processor was affected.
Where did you find information on this "bug"? I cannot find anything in the forums.

I have a QNAP TS-251+. Fan is blowing at max speed, system reported fan spinning at unearthly speed and 0°C temperature, HDD2 degradation.
I kept the system powered off for a couple days, now on bootup HDD2 led is off and I cannot reach the NAS via web nor via SSH.

Thank you in advance
Cris
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

thread closed for necroposting

last post in the correct thread about this very isue was posted a few hours ago

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”