"There are no available volumes" error when trying to add a public ssh key

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
donttakeanap
New here

"There are no available volumes" error when trying to add a public ssh key

Post by donttakeanap »

I can ssh into my TS-453D using my password, but I'd like to place my public ssh key on the nas so I can do without the password.

Now when I hit "Add" in Control Panel / Privilege / Users / username / Options / SSH Keys, I get the error

"There are no available volumes to save the key. Go to Storage & Snapshots to create a volume."

I do have a volume, to be precise: One "Static Volume". It is marked "Ready", and it actually works. It takes up all disk space of the 2 disks, so I couldn't even create a new volume even if I tried to. And why should I? I already have a working volume.

How can this be fixed?

Some more background information that seems related and may perhaps be helpful:
Directly after ssh-ing into the nas, I get a "Could not chdir to home directory" error. See the following session.

Code: Select all

> ssh username@qnap-ts-453d.local
username@qnap-ts-453d.local's password: 
Could not chdir to home directory /share/homes/username: No such file or directory
[username@QNAP-TS-453D /]$ ls /share/homes/     
/bin/ls: cannot access /share/homes/: No such file or directory
[username@QNAP-TS-453D /]$ ls /share/
CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/  HDB_DATA/  HDE_DATA/  HDH_DATA/  HDK_DATA/  HDN_DATA/  HDQ_DATA/  HDT_DATA/  HDW_DATA/  HDZ_DATA/    Public@
So /share exists, but /share/homes does not. Now I can create /share/homes/username/.ssh and put my public key there, but the folder will be gone after the next reboot.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "There are no available volumes" error when trying to add a public ssh key

Post by dolbyman »

If you have a volume with the default shares ('homes is "one" of them) and it does not work, open a ticket with QNAP support

Also why user keys ? Just add keys top right under the admin options.
donttakeanap
New here

Re: "There are no available volumes" error when trying to add a public ssh key

Post by donttakeanap »

Thanks dolbyman. I didn't know about "default shares", so this was very helpful.

I tried to do
Control Panel / Privilege / Shared Folders / "Others" button / Restore Default Shared Folders
but got the error "System default shares have already existed, or the disk volume is not formatted or unmounted."

Next I just tried to create a "homes" share manually. Now the funny thing was that in the folder dropdown list, there already was a /homes/username/.ssh/authorized_keys containing the keys that I had manually copied there via scp months ago, after creating the shares/homes folder manually via ssh.

Long story short, after creating the homes share manually, and setting the folder to /homes, my old manual folder reappeared (wherever it had been all those months...), and all is good now, including reboots.

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”