single drives setup

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DEViANCE
New here

single drives setup

Post by DEViANCE »

Is it possible to setup 2 drives as single drives, so I can see and use each driver seperate, say drive 1 for movies, drive 2 photos etc...I have TS-212P, thanks
pwilson
Guru

Re: single drives setup

Post by pwilson »

DEViANCE wrote:Is it possible to setup 2 drives as single drives, so I can see and use each driver seperate, say drive 1 for movies, drive 2 photos etc...I have TS-212P, thanks
Yes. Your NAS does support this short-sighted/ill-conceived setup. Check out the Volume Management section of the fine manual.

I'd strongly recommend that you also review the Backup Station section of the same fine manual, in order to protect your data. As you aren't wise enough to implement RAID1, you'll need to do very frequent Backups in order to protect your data from possible HDD failures going forward.
Volume Management[/url] section of the [url=http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/volume_management.htm]fine manual wrote:
  • Single Disk Volume: Each hard drive is used as a standalone disk. If a hard drive is damaged, all the data will be lost.
Invest in a eSATA/USB Drive Dock to make it easier to perform those Backups. I paid <$50USD for mine.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
DEViANCE
New here

Post by DEViANCE »

it isn't short sighted or ill conceived, it's personal preference, i have other backup options in play, typical ignorance from a typical canadian wiseass, I have never lost data in 10 years...
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

DEViANCE wrote:it isn't short sighted or ill conceived, it's personal preference, i have other backup options in play, typical ignorance from a typical canadian wiseass, I have never lost data in 10 years...
it is a short-sighted/ill-conceived personal preference. Use RAID1. You "paid" for RAID. Take advantage of it. When a drive fails in RAID, you simply hot-swap it and wait for the NAS to recover. When a drive fails under Single Drive volumes, your data is lost. Drives are cheap. Data isn't.

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter. Your NAS, your "personal preference". Good luck with your frequent Backups. You will eventually need them, so make them often.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

and when the first disk dies you lose all the config data

not so when using the drives in a raid 1
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dolbyman wrote:and when the first disk dies you lose all the config data

not so when using the drives in a raid 1
He doesn't understand the "short-sighted/ill-conceived" part, so we are probably wasting our time trying to help him. Some people have to learn things the hard way. It's his NAS and his choice. We tried to help, we can't do better than that.

Hopefully he'll at least take the Backup part seriously, especially doing regular Configuration Backups as well.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

DEViANCE
New here

Post by DEViANCE »

Oh I understand alright, starting your answer off the way you did would rile anyone, it just proves how arrogant canadians really are..

You can stop posting in my thread now.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

DEViANCE wrote:Oh I understand alright, starting your answer off the way you did would rile anyone, it just proves how arrogant canadians really are..

You can stop posting in my thread now.
We are arrogant? :roll: You are the person with no respect for his own data. Please leave the personal comments out of this. If you feel Single Drive volumes are a good idea, go ahead and use them. As you correctly stated, it is a "personal preference". If you'll forgive the observation, it is arrogant to make snipes at people who are attempting to protect you from yourself.

If you don't want the opinions of other people, don't post to Community Forums. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You are determined to make a poor choice. Make it, and deal with the consequences later. It is your NAS and your data, so you can endanger your data in any fashion you feel it appropriate. The worst we can do is tell you "we told you so", when disaster visits.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

DEViANCE wrote:Is it possible to setup 2 drives as single drives, so I can see and use each driver seperate, say drive 1 for movies, drive 2 photos etc...I have TS-212P, thanks
Yes that's possible but not recommended.

Recommended is to configure disks in RAID 1 (disk mirroring). RAID 1 is superior in the way that a single disk failure will not make all your data (on both disks) unavailable and force you to reinstall the whole NAS from scratch. With RAID 1 the complete cofiguration and all of your data will still be available. You only need replace the faulty disk. Remember that it's not a question of if a disk will fail, only when...

The above advantage with RAID 1 however comes at the price that you can only use the equivalent of one disk for user data storage. But since disks up to 8 TB are supported in a TS-212P, that isn't really a significant limitation. The only valid reason to not use RAID 1 is if you absolutely can't afford two disks of the necessary size and then you will pay the price with the huge inconvenience when either disk fails.

If you want your data to be separated it is better to place the different data in different shared folders instead of on different disks. This will keep the data effectively separated and will to users accessing the data appear as if they are residing on different disks. You can also for instance allow a user to access one shared folder but not the other.

By the way, I'm not Canadian but I may occassionally be a wiseass. Aren't we all sometimes... :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
HKey_Root
New here

Post by HKey_Root »

pwilson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:21 am
DEViANCE wrote:it isn't short sighted or ill conceived, it's personal preference, i have other backup options in play, typical ignorance from a typical canadian wiseass, I have never lost data in 10 years...
it is a short-sighted/ill-conceived personal preference. Use RAID1. You "paid" for RAID. Take advantage of it. When a drive fails in RAID, you simply hot-swap it and wait for the NAS to recover. When a drive fails under Single Drive volumes, your data is lost. Drives are cheap. Data isn't.

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter. Your NAS, your "personal preference". Good luck with your frequent Backups. You will eventually need them, so make them often.
Your responses are ill conceived, ignorant and rude. The possibilty that the NAS is in itself a back up of data held on other devices has escaped you. The OP said nothing about the NAS data being the only definitve data source. The question posed is a perfectly valid one save for the fact that it appears the OP didn't realise that the system files etc., will be on the first drive and can't be removed. What his/her aim is, is sound and for which they needed guidance to achieve this. All you did was to provide a lecture on the priciples of backups in an unsavory manner. As they say "Confine yourself to the question" and stop being a smart arse. Please be guided accordingly.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

HKey_Root wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:03 am As they say "Confine yourself to the question" and stop being a smart arse. Please be guided accordingly.
The person you're berating died late in 2015.

And there's not a lot of point in posting your opinion of a discussion that happened 6 years ago.

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”