Ultrastar He10

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Ultrastar He10

Post by VincentM »

Does anyone out there knows if QNAP Nasses is compatible with the 10TB drive?

Thx
V
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Ultrastar He10

Post by dolbyman »

The quick facts here

https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-driv ... astar-he10

Do not mention cold storage, but seemingly always on data center, so that sounds ok for NAS use.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

Yes but with the lot of QNAP incompatible drives I looking for more precise compatibility info before investing in 2 of these for the NAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apparently other drives of the He Family have been tested

https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/news/con_s ... ne&cid=322
minotaar
Starting out

Post by minotaar »

hi, I just wanted to add that I have just installed 8 10tb HGST he10 drives in a tvs-1282 with success. I used the drives that support "power disable", and they still worked.

You can see the discussion I had with some others, including dolbyman, at this link below.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=132891
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

just some interesting info :mrgreen:

[youtube=]vKvUcV1cNI0[/youtube]

[youtube=]c0m2rf89IbE[/youtube]

[youtube=]eCorxPmmLa8[/youtube]

HGST formerly Hitachi which is now owned by Western Digital has introduced the first 10 terabyte hard disk drive. Whilst it still uses standard perpendicular magnetic recording, the high capacity can be achieved with HelioSeal. This replaces the air found inside typical hard drives with helium in a sealed chassis.

The use of helium in hard disk drives reduces ‘head flutter’. This is vibration that is caused by air turbulence and makes the heads much more stable. Stability means that densities can be reduced even further, thereby increasing capacity. With seven platters in each hard drive and more planned, let’s hope these drive are very reliable, because data recovery is going to be a tough prospect!

By sealing the hard drive, debris cannot enter inside the chassis. Standard hard disk drives have a breather hole to equalise pressure. Over time contaminants can penetrate the breather hole filter and cause catastrophic failures. With it’s reduced vibration and sealed chassis, the He10 is advertising a massive 2.5 million hour MTBF (mean time before failure). So in theory this should be extremely reliable!

But reliability and capacity are not the only welcome features. HGST uses revolutionary media cache technology, which uses DRAM as cache without the data integrity concerns. Low power consumption and increased performance will benefit users immensely. Especially hard drives in servers. The increased capacity reduces rack space, offering reduced power and cooling.

On the downside, helium filled hard disk drives are expensive. Until the price can be bought down, the primary inhibitor to market share will be the cost. However with Seagate hot on HGST heals, soon we anticipate all the manufacturers adopting this new technology.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”