Check File System returned "Examination failed (Cannot unmount disk)."

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rvddool@csir
First post

Re: Check File System returned "Examination failed (Cannot unmount disk)."

Post by rvddool@csir »

pombeirp wrote:Even after stopping all the services, I initially wasn't able to unmount /dev/mapper/cachedev1. In the end I fixed it by passing the -l flag to the umount command. As per the documentation:
There are several options that can be tried in the event that umount refuses to unmount a filesystem for no immediately apparent reason. Perhaps the most useful is the -l (i.e., lazy) option, which immediately detaches the filesystem from the main filesystem and then cleans up all references to the unmounted filesystem as soon as it is no longer busy. This capability requires Linux kernel 2.4.11 or later.
Hope this helps other people in the same situation.
Thanks for posting. This worked for me as well, after trying all the steps found elsewhere without success.
garniemand
New here

Post by garniemand »

Hi there,

had the same error message and support helped me to resolve the issue was mounted again (occured after switching to 4.3.2).
Still file system is not clean so I thought rather than waiting a very long time when starting the file check via the GUI.
I had this before and for my 6TB in a RAID 5 it took 3 days...
I used the support (and this thread to help unmounting) went via Putty and the e2fsck is hopefully still running.
e2fsck status since dec29.jpg
I have seen that normally it has 5 passes but since yesterday it seems stuck - is this the case or could it be that it takes that long ?

Don't want to close putty but wonder whether I can log back in via a second session to check whether its still running ?
do I need to log in via a different ip (the nas uses 4) and another user to avoid a hickup - or can I log in twice...

thanks for the help so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

garniemand wrote:Don't want to close putty but wonder whether I can log back in via a second session to check whether its still running ?
do I need to log in via a different ip (the nas uses 4) and another user to avoid a hickup - or can I log in twice...
Yes, you can have concurrent SSH sessions. :geek:

If you'd like to be able to login - run a command - then disconnect - then login again and check on it, you may want to investigate a utility called screen. I use this frequently.

First, you'll need to install the Entware-ng QPKG.

Then to install screen:

Code: Select all

opkg update; opkg install screen

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZamaGelu
New here

Post by ZamaGelu »

I had a similar type of issue with my TS453mini after I tried to expand my DataVolume following the installation of an additional hard drive in my RAID5.

When I tried to unmount, I would get the following:

[~] # umount /dev/mapper/cachedev1    
umount: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA: device is busy
umount: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA: device is busy
Based on something I read somewhere else, I ran the following command to check what was causing the "busy" status:

[~] # lsof |grep /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse file system /mnt/rf/cd
      Output information may be incomplete.
alice     17409       admin  txt       REG              252,0  1700632    1448490 /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/opt/nas_bin/alice
alice     17409 17420 admin  txt       REG              252,0  1700632    1448490 /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/opt/nas_bin/alice
alice     17409 17422 admin  txt       REG              252,0  1700632    1448490 /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/opt/nas_bin/alice
I figured it had to do something with HDStation so I stopped it:

[~] # /etc/init.d/HD_Station.sh stop  
hal_event: unrecognized option '--mem_file_swap'
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/HDPlayer.sh: line 24: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/bin/python: No such file or directory
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/HDPlayer.sh: line 16: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/bin/python: No such file or directory
rmdir: '/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/share/external': No such file or directory
Rerunning the lsof command above didn't return anything so I proceeded with the umount and e2fsck which worked successfully this time:

[~] # umount /dev/mapper/cachedev1                                 
[~] # e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/cachedev1 
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 1327109 has INDEX_FL flag set on filesystem without htree support.
Inode 119291905 has INDEX_FL flag set on filesystem without htree support.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

DataVol1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
DataVol1: 405972/320487424 files (1.1% non-contiguous), 1204222485/1281942528 blocks
2007aleksey
New here

Post by 2007aleksey »

I had the same issue and stopping Container Station from App Center helped me.
Ankhazam
Starting out

Post by Ankhazam »

On my TS239Pro it was enough to:
1) shell into the server & exectute /etc/init.d/services.sh stop
2) log in through web and click the check filesystem on my raid volume ;)

Thanks for the help!
Tiebo
First post

Post by Tiebo »

Thank you
Ankhazam
I exactly proceed like you mentionnd and it works like a charm for the first 2 disks concerned !

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”