swapped drives from bay 3 to bay 4

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
deathrace
New here

swapped drives from bay 3 to bay 4

Post by deathrace »

Hello, i recently purchased 8 TB drive . once i got that in mail i removed the existing drive on bay 3 and kept it aside . later i installed new 8 TB drive in bay 3 . Once i had my drive initialized and formatted, i took it out and put back the old drive which was originally in bay 3 .

so here comes the problem doesnt matter which bay i put the old drive in it wont allow me to take a look through a file browser . so now i cant find a way to access my data from the old drive :ashamed:

file os HDD system is all drive as standalone and seperate . no raid setup .
Bay-1- 2TB ( system and some space
Bay-2 - 4 TB ( media)
Bay-3 - 8TB NEW ( mix)
Bay-4 - currently empty
so i tired putting the old one in bay 3 and bay 4 . no avail .

help me retrive my data guys :roll:

Thanks in advance
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: swapped drives from bay 3 to bay 4

Post by Spider99 »

more information please

how did you remove the original bay3 drive?
did the nas complain?
do you have a backup?
what errors does the nas give when you connect the old drive 3?

etc

the more info you give the better answer you are going to get

follow guidelines in my signature

and welcome to the forums!
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

1- You should be using raid as single drives offer no data protection.
2- You should have backups if you can't afford to lose the data.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
deathrace
New here

Post by deathrace »

there is a option in the storage manager for safely eject the drive . so once i clicked that system gave notification of approval and i pulled it out

no , nas didnt gave any error on ejection

no i didnt setup riad so didnt have any backup

when i connect the old drive . it does not give any error , however its not mounting and if i try to mount it is asking me to format . which will wipe out all the existing data
Spider99 wrote:more information please

how did you remove the original bay3 drive?
did the nas complain?
do you have a backup?
what errors does the nas give when you connect the old drive 3?

etc

the more info you give the better answer you are going to get

follow guidelines in my signature

and welcome to the forums!
deathrace
New here

Post by deathrace »

Hi, Don
i know i wanted to have the backup , but thats exactly what i was doing . i was taking out old 4 TB and was in process of replacing all with 8 TB and that is what got me into this mess . :shock: :lol:

Don wrote:1- You should be using raid as single drives offer no data protection.
2- You should have backups if you can't afford to lose the data.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

That is not the way to do backups. You do backups to an external device or to the cloud or to another network connected device. You don't do it by swapping internal drives.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
RecoveryForce
Starting out

Post by RecoveryForce »

You may just want to connect the drive directly to a computer and use a data recovery program like UFS Explorer to read the data out.
TS-431 replaced with TS-453B
FW Version: 4.3.4.0569
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

deathrace wrote:there is a option in the storage manager for safely eject the drive . so once i clicked that system gave notification of approval and i pulled it out
I'm not positive about this, but when you told the system you wanted to eject the drive, it cleared the drive from its configuration. As such, the drive is no longer recognized when reinserted.

As suggested, you might be able to get the data back by using UFS.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
deathrace
New here

Post by deathrace »

Thanks for the info . Will keep that in mind next time . However currently i need to get this resolved . so let me know if you have any solution .

Don wrote:That is not the way to do backups. You do backups to an external device or to the cloud or to another network connected device. You don't do it by swapping internal drives.
deathrace
New here

Post by deathrace »

Thanks for the tip i am going to try that. will update on whatever results i get .
RecoveryForce wrote:You may just want to connect the drive directly to a computer and use a data recovery program like UFS Explorer to read the data out.
deathrace
New here

Post by deathrace »

Yes precisely . i mean system can see that physically there is a drive and it will give me an otpion to initialize . But if i do that it asks a user to format it . idk why it would do that . but yes if its inserted the system detects it and its greyed out in storage manager
MrVideo wrote:
deathrace wrote:there is a option in the storage manager for safely eject the drive . so once i clicked that system gave notification of approval and i pulled it out
I'm not positive about this, but when you told the system you wanted to eject the drive, it cleared the drive from its configuration. As such, the drive is no longer recognized when reinserted.

As suggested, you might be able to get the data back by using UFS.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

deathrace wrote:idk why it would do that . but yes if its inserted the system detects it and its greyed out in storage manager
Because, it thinks the drive is new and has never been used in your NAS. That is what happens when you "eject" a drive. You are not going to get the NAS to mount that drive with the data is hopefully is still on it.

Open a QNAP helpdesk ticket. They might be able to do it.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
(Thanks to Toxic17)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
QNAP_Daniel
Starting out

Post by QNAP_Daniel »

Hi deathrace,
when i connect the old drive . it does not give any error , however its not mounting and if i try to mount it is asking me to format . which will wipe out all the existing data
I assume you used the Remove > Safely Detach Volume button in the Volume > Manage menu.

After you safely detach a drive or set of drives containing a volume or pool, it is removed from the configuration and the NAS knows nothing about the volumes on those disks.

If you want to re-import those volumes back into the same NAS or a different NAS unit, then you should go to the Storage Manager > Disks page and click Recover > Scan all free drives (in the top-right of the disks page).

This should find your volume on disk 3 and allow you to access the data again.

Thanks
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

I'll have to remember this. Though, most of the time a user didn't safely detach a volume/disk.
QTS MANUALS
(Thanks to Toxic17)
Entware
nottooloud
Starting out

Post by nottooloud »

QNAP_Daniel wrote:I assume you used the Remove > Safely Detach Volume button in the Volume > Manage menu.

After you safely detach a drive or set of drives containing a volume or pool, it is removed from the configuration and the NAS knows nothing about the volumes on those disks.

If you want to re-import those volumes back into the same NAS or a different NAS unit, then you should go to the Storage Manager > Disks page and click Recover > Scan all free drives (in the top-right of the disks page).

This should find your volume on disk 3 and allow you to access the data again.
Is this the recommended procedure if I want to remove a drive but be able to put it back? I can't find an explanation of the difference between "Remove Volume" and "Safely Detach Volume".
TS-853A, backed up to a TS-869Pro, both full of HGST HDN724040ALE640

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”