Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mman3222
New here

Re: Slow transfer speed due to SSD cache acceleration

Post by mman3222 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm

P3R wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:37 pm
mman3222 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:01 pm
Lets say I have file "123.mkv" in NVMeDrive\Movies. Will it copy to my regular store or MOVE/cut it to regular storage? When Syncback runs at night, it moves the files so then my cache drive is 100% empty again.
Ah, okay. It's not really synchronizations, it's moving data.

HBS can't do moves, only backups and syncs. That's very easy to work around though as piggy-backed to the sync job you could have a job that sync an empty folder to the SSD folder and thereby delete all data on it. In addition, that would be a completely safe transfer of the data. I don't know if Syncback actually do a sync plus delete behind the scenes or if it really use the more risky approach of moving? If the latter, that would be another disadvantage with Syncback.

If you're not familiar with HBS, how do you backup the data on the NAS? Do you use Synback for that as well?
It's just easier for me to stick with Syncback then. I only have 0 - 600GB MAX in a night it needs to move. However, the average is probably 50 - 100GB.

I use Google Drive with Stablebit to backup my data. And you're correct. I use Syncback for that too. Once a day it backs up. Stablebit tricks Google Drive to making it a "local" hard drive on my computer. It's encrypted, and Syncback backs all my stuff up flawlessly. I've been using this method for around 2 years now.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:35 am

mman3222 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm
I use Google Drive with Stablebit to backup my data. And you're correct. I use Syncback for that too. Once a day it backs up. Stablebit tricks Google Drive to making it a "local" hard drive on my computer. It's encrypted, and Syncback backs all my stuff up flawlessly. I've been using this method for around 2 years now.
HBS can backup to Google drive as well, including doing client-side encryption, but if what you have work and you're happy with it I understand that you don't want to change as HBS will no doubt require some learning time.

I just wanted to inform that a good NAS-integrated backup/sync solution existed for those that wasn't aware. I do agree that Syncback is a nice Windows backup software. :)
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

pokrakam
Starting out

Post by pokrakam » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

FWIW, I have had numerous issues with HBS as it does not play nicely with S3-compatible storage. So I use Arq backup on a Mac to backup my NAS.

HiTach
Starting out

Post by HiTach » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 am

So today I checked my W/R speeds and was very surprised. :S :-0 :DD
This 872XT system has been up for 12 days. I have not flushed the cache since.
See images for surprising speeds - 1202MB/s Write 1862MB/s Read
Repeatable over several tests +/- 100 MB/s.
Most system specs in signature, using Mellanox MCX313A single port 40GB/s card on host pc but still MCX314A dual port 40GB/s card on NAS.
I use the second NAS 40GB/s port with adapters to provide 10Gbe on 10-BaseT.

I also confirmed by transfer multiple 30GB movie files at 1.3GB/s to 1.9GB/s with Windows file copy.

I have no idea what, but for months I have been lucky to see 700MB/s W/R and sometimes as low as 500 or even 400 MB/s.

I'll keep track over the coming days and hope it's sustained. I am up to date on QTS 4.4.3.1421.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Workstation DAS/NAS: TVS-872X(T) *Thunderbolt card removed due to Windows10 1909 bug
8x10TB WD Gold RAID6 54TB static volume
2x1TB Samsung 970 EVO plus R/W RAID1 cache w/EK WB M.2 heatsinks + 2x NB 12-P fans
1x40Gbe Mellanox DAS network connection, 1x10Gbe QXG-10G1T for local 10gbe virtual switch
Backup NAS: TVS-872XT
8x10TB WD Gold RAID6 54TB Thick volume w/snapshots
1x40Gbe Qnap Thunderbolt 3 card, 1x10Gbe QXG-10G1T for local 10gbe virtual switch
LAN switch 10Gbe(2)/1Gbe(8) NETGEAR Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX)

mman3222
New here

Post by mman3222 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 am

Those speeds are normal for me with my TS-672XT. I have a Samsung 1TB M.2 970 EVO SSD that I use for cache and I get 1.15GB/sec over a mixture of cat 5e / cat 6 cables.

I'm surprised you were getting such slow speeds prior to this.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”