Random restart several times a day

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
CylonCenturion

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by CylonCenturion » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:22 pm

somy1982 wrote:I encountered a serious issue: some days ago the NAS restarted by itself for unknown reason. After restart it rebuilt the RAID array (which took around 1 day) and showed the warning "The file system is not clean" and suggested to check the file system. I tried to follow the instruction to check the file system, however every time I start the check, the NAS restarts by itself. So now I'm in a loop (Restarts -> Rebuild RAID array -> Check File system -> Restarts) for several days. The attached image show what I see in the system log.
My device is TS-453mini with firmware 4.2.2. I have three 4TB drive in RAID 5 configuration.
I very much appreciate any suggestion, thank you!
2016-09-30_20-34-04.jpg


Why does the RAID array rebuilds??

My TS-220 with RAID1 encoutered several power failures, but the RAID never rebuilds

somy1982
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by somy1982 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Ok, checked the fan, spinning fine.
Switch back to original 2G memory, finger crossed.
Edit: So far everything seems to work - not tried any app yet.
Could it be due to the memory exceeds the limit (I had a pair of 8G memory installed)?
But why everything worked smoothly before?

somy1982
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by somy1982 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:22 pm

CylonCenturion wrote:
somy1982 wrote:I encountered a serious issue: some days ago the NAS restarted by itself for unknown reason. After restart it rebuilt the RAID array (which took around 1 day) and showed the warning "The file system is not clean" and suggested to check the file system. I tried to follow the instruction to check the file system, however every time I start the check, the NAS restarts by itself. So now I'm in a loop (Restarts -> Rebuild RAID array -> Check File system -> Restarts) for several days. The attached image show what I see in the system log.
My device is TS-453mini with firmware 4.2.2. I have three 4TB drive in RAID 5 configuration.
I very much appreciate any suggestion, thank you!
2016-09-30_20-34-04.jpg


Why does the RAID array rebuilds??

My TS-220 with RAID1 encoutered several power failures, but the RAID never rebuilds

Sorry I think I used the wrong term - I meant resync not rebuild.

CylonCenturion

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by CylonCenturion » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:27 pm

somy1982 wrote:Ok, checked the fan, spinning fine.
Switch back to original 2G memory, finger crossed.
Edit: So far everything seems to work - not tried any app yet.
Could it be due to the memory exceeds the limit (I had a pair of 8G memory installed)?
But why everything worked smoothly before?


I recommend to leavie it like it is now.

What memorybank did you use? Brand/Type..etc

somy1982
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by somy1982 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:04 am

CylonCenturion wrote:
somy1982 wrote:Ok, checked the fan, spinning fine.
Switch back to original 2G memory, finger crossed.
Edit: So far everything seems to work - not tried any app yet.
Could it be due to the memory exceeds the limit (I had a pair of 8G memory installed)?
But why everything worked smoothly before?


I recommend to leavie it like it is now.

What memorybank did you use? Brand/Type..etc


I use this one: Crucial CT102464BF160B 8 GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35 V 1024 Meg x 64
Maybe it is damaged... Need to verify memory but couldn't find a manual on how to do so.

User avatar
MrVideo
Experience counts
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by MrVideo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 am

The NAS models have been known to be finicky regarding the memory that is added to to them. While some my appear to be correct, it might not in fact work. Been there, done that.
QTS 4.1.n/4.2.n/4.3.n MANUAL
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
When you ask a question, please include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17 for the links)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20180525)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
===============================
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.2.3 Build 20170213 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
===============================
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos

User avatar
storageman
Ask me anything
Posts: 5403
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by storageman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:15 pm

somy1982 wrote:Ok, checked the fan, spinning fine.
Switch back to original 2G memory, finger crossed.
Edit: So far everything seems to work - not tried any app yet.
Could it be due to the memory exceeds the limit (I had a pair of 8G memory installed)?
But why everything worked smoothly before?


2GB?

Max RAM on TS-220 was 512MB DDR3 RAM

somy1982
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by somy1982 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:54 pm

An update: received a reply from support who also suggests to check RAM.
The NAS is running fine with original 2G memory. I've scanned all HDDs today with no bad sector.
Will install my RAM one by one and hopefully identify which one causes the problem.

somy1982
Easy as a breeze
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by somy1982 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:33 am

Update 2: I switched the RAM one by one and found that one of the RAM is causing the problem. Will contact the seller for replacement.
Case closed :-)

User avatar
MrVideo
Experience counts
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by MrVideo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:24 am

Glad you found it.
QTS 4.1.n/4.2.n/4.3.n MANUAL
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
When you ask a question, please include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17 for the links)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20180525)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
===============================
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.2.3 Build 20170213 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
===============================
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos

sigonuk
First post
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:09 am

Re: Random restart several times a day

Post by sigonuk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 am

I just purchased a brand new QMAP TS-453A with 2 x Western Digital RED 3TB and have exactly the same problem (although it reboots once every two or three days) and sometimes immediately after a reboot
The LCD display some times shows a corrupt IP address display and some times I can't get the display to light up at all.

Upgraded to Beta firmware, didn't fix.
Downgraded and factory reset, didn't fix.
Returning the NAS for a replacement so will see how the new one is but by the sound of it we have very similar issues.

Hopefully the new one will be ok and if not then I shall post another message here.

Post Reply

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”