Capacity - Total Size - Free Size

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
marcflo
New here

Capacity - Total Size - Free Size

Post by marcflo »

Hi all,
I have a TS-219P+ as a temporary NAS for migrating some data. I have moved data onto one drive in the NAS and now added a second drive in the event of the first disk failing.
When adding the second drive of the same size and type and preparing it for use it cannot be formatted to its capacity.
Total size 1.99Gb: Free size 1.43Gb: but its Capacity is 1863.02Gb
I also tried another drive larger in size and the same thing happened, max formatted size is only 1.99Gb
2017-03-16 22_28_13-NASC193B5.png
I did search the forum but didn't find any posts related, apologies if overlooked similar posts and thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Cheers
Marc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Capacity - Total Size - Free Size

Post by dolbyman »

one of those unsupported green drives has a SMART warning ..what is that?
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

marcflo wrote:Total size 1.99Gb: Free size 1.43Gb: but its Capacity is 1863.02Gb
Not all of the drive's available area is used to store data. There are four partitions placed onto the drive. One is for data and the other three for system stuff. The generic formula is that the data area will be .9 of the drive size.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

MrVideo wrote:
marcflo wrote:Total size 1.99Gb: Free size 1.43Gb: but its Capacity is 1863.02Gb
Not all of the drive's available area is used to store data.
I think @marcflo is highlighting that the NAS thinks the drive is only 1.99GB in size. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marcflo
New here

Post by marcflo »

Thanks for your replies.
@OneCD you are correct. A 2Tb drive has once installed has only 2Gb of space available.
@dolbyman, yes the drive has a warning on it. It was part of a raid 1 in this NAS mirroring the other drive previously and i stopped using it. But that does not explain why its capacity once installed is only 2Gb instead of 2Tb. Note that i had installed another 4Tb drive (yes on the supported list) and the same result! 4Tb hdd once installed showing only 2Gb available! So the problem is not the warning on the drive.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

marcflo wrote:@dolbyman, yes the drive has a warning on it. It was part of a raid 1 in this NAS mirroring the other drive previously and i stopped using it.
How did you stop using the RAID 1? Reinstalled the NAS completely from scratch?

Did you clear this 2 TB disk from it's content before reinsterting it into the NAS?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
marcflo
New here

Post by marcflo »

I stopped using the raid1 some years ago after migrating to another NAS. So in answer to how did i stop using it i cant remember.
The hard drive installed was setup as a single drive and I started using it! Then I added the second drive installing it the same way ... formatting it etc

However the question is why is it the same for any additional drive I install into the NAS whether it be a 2TB or 4TB. I format the drives once inserted into the NAS in preparation for use.
Do they need to be formatted outside the NAS?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

marcflo wrote:I format the drives once inserted into the NAS in preparation for use.
Do they need to be formatted outside the NAS?
Preferably yes if being reused from something else.

Absolutely yes If having been used in a Qnap and are added to an already configured and running NAS. Otherwise you'll introducing a second, possibly conflicting, configuration into the same NAS. That I imagine could very well lead to unpredictable behaviour.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Actually, any drive added to the NAS should not be formatted at all. There should be no partition tables. When the NAS "sees" that the HDD is partition table free, it will treat it as new and do the partitioning needed for the NAS.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MrVideo wrote:Actually, any drive added to the NAS should not be formatted at all.
Preferably yes but a single formatted partition also works. That's possible for almost anybody to achieve regardless of previous computer experience or operating system used.
Last edited by P3R on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcflo
New here

Post by marcflo »

Thanks P3R, could be then that the drive needs formatting outside of the NAS.
Looks like i had better invest in a USB HDD doc so i can format the drives.
Or is there another way to format the drive using the NAS without introducing unpredictable behaviour.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

marcflo wrote:Looks like i had better invest in a USB HDD doc so i can format the drives.
A USB disk dock/enclosure is a very good thing to have anyway.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

marcflo wrote:@dolbyman, yes the drive has a warning on it.
As dolbyman points out the disks you use are WD Green that are known to cause issues in NAS/RAID applications. Already that is reason enough to replace them both with compatible disks (I would avoid desktop disks completely).

Additionally the warning indicate some more issues with disk 1 that I would investigate before using the NAS for any data storage.

What does the SMART information for the disk in question tell you?

marcflo
New here

Post by marcflo »

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.
This was a temporary solution as a backup for migrating data temporarily.
As it all got a bit too hard I worked out another way to do it.
The WD Green drives are not part of my normal NAS config, its just what i had lying around one of which has some errors.
My regular NAS drives are WD REDs

Looking forward to my new Qnap NAS ... once i decide which one to get.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”