Getting details of why new drives show as abnormal

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
davidfor
New here

Getting details of why new drives show as abnormal

Post by davidfor »

I have a TS-651. I have been running with a RAID 5 group using two 3TB WD Red (WD30EFRX) and two 2TB WD Green (WD20EZRX). Yes, I know I shouldn't be using Greens, but they were bought at a time when finances were tight and the Reds were bought to replace failing drives. I recently decided to replace the greens and bought two more 3TB WD Reds to replace the greens. Unfortunately, this didn't go well.

Firstly, before starting, I restarted the NAS and let it upgrade to the latest firmware. This meant I was on 4.2.4 Build 20170313. Everything seemed OK. The other two bays have an older 500GB drive that is in it's own pool (really just there while I was experimenting and I hadn't gotten around to removing it), and the last bay was empty. And, of course, I made sure the backups had run OK.

So, I pulled one of the 2TB greens, and installed the first of the new 3TB Reds. The NAS beeped a few times and drive appeared in Storage Manager with no errors. Then the raid group started rebuilding. In the morning when I looked, the rebuild process had finished. But, there were problems. The state of one of the original Reds showed as "Warning". When I looked this had some SMART errors. I was annoyed by this and thought I should have run a test on these drives before starting. But, the real problem was that the state of the new drive was "Abnormal". But, there were no SMART errors on it. And when I ran both the quick and the full test, it didn't report an errors. In any case, I pulled that drive and installed the other new drive. This showed as Abnormal immediately. Again, no SMART errors and the tests were fine. There was nothing I could see to tell me what the problem with the drives was.

After a lot of fiddling, and checking the backups were OK, I ended up deleting the group, going back to the Greens, except now I have one 3TB Red with three 2TB greens. I'll replace them when I have a chance.

Now, the question is, why does the NAS report the new drives as bad? After removing them from the NAS, I tested the two new drives in a desktop with no errors. That was under Win 10. I ran HD Tune to test them. No errors. I plugged them into the external SATA port of a laptop running Ubuntu, and again, no errors. Using the laptop I wiped on of the drives completely, added a partition and formatted that. Again, no errors. So, I put it back into the NAS in the spare bay, and it comes up as abnormal.

What I want to now why the NAS thinks the drive is bad, and everything else thinks it is fine. I'm hoping there is a log somewhere that gives more details. Or something I can run to see the details. I'm not expecting to be able to use the drives in the NAS, I just want to know what is going on. Plus, I'd like to know before I replace them and to work out if I can make a warranty claim.

Any suggestions?
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: Getting details of why new drives show as abnormal

Post by MrVideo »

You are going to have a hard time getting a warranty claim, since all of the other tests show nothing wrong. WD will end up with the same results and send them back to you.

Open a helpdesk ticket with QNAP and have them look at the system with one of the drives installed in the spare slot. Maybe they can figure out what is going on. Point them to this thread.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
davidfor
New here

Re: Getting details of why new drives show as abnormal

Post by davidfor »

I agree with you about the warranty claim. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them, plus the hassle of making the claim. I'll find a use for them somewhere.

I figured I would end up with support, but there might have been something obvious that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”