Data Recovery: Should I plug NAS HDs to external eSATA/USB enclosure?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
SergeGardien
Starting out

Re: Data Recovery: Should I plug NAS HDs to external eSATA/USB enclosure?

Post by SergeGardien »

Ericnepean wrote:Hi Serge, I guess that the volumes with your data are not mounted and will have to be mounted manually.
I'd wait until QNAP support is available to help you directly.
Thanks Eric. Indeed, I'm waiting for them.

Cheers
SergeGardien
Starting out

Post by SergeGardien »

MrVideo wrote: It is a little more narrow minded than that. Take for example the following script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
for d in /share/Public/FourSeasonsTheatre /share/Public/W2K-SATA-F
do
rsync -av --delete $d /share/Backup-HDD-01
done

for d in /share/Public/videos/B[o-z]*
do
rsync -av --delete $d /share/Backup-HDD-01/videos
done
When the 2nd rsync is being done in the for loop, after the 1st rsnc in the for loop doesn't have its data deleted, because none of the files in the first path are in the 2nd path.

When the 2nd rsync is being done, all of the files from the 1st rsync for loop are not deleted. In the 2nd rsync, only files that fit within the range of B[o-z]* that are no longer in the source are removed from the target. I really didn't need a 2nd for loop, as there was only one path being worked on. Copy-n-paste habit.
Many thanks for your post MrVideo but I'm not sure I fully understand your example and the little comprehension I have makes me think it is not strictly relevant to my situation.

I think that something like:

#!/bin/sh
do
done

do
rsync -av --delete $d /share/videos
done
would have been a touch more relevant. In this case I would have said that /share/Backup-HDD-01 doesn't get deleted by the 2nd rsync and at the end of the bash script execution I have a double copy of both, /share/Public/FourSeasonsTheatre and /share/Public/W2K-SATA-F, in /share/Backup-HDD-01 and /share/videos.

This outcome would be a nice-to-have for my particular situation and indeed is what I'm expecting to see soon as I can access my NAS file-system.

Do you agree?
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

SergeGardien wrote:Many thanks for your post MrVideo but I'm not sure I fully understand your example and the little comprehension I have makes me think it is not strictly relevant to my situation.
I was just tyring to show that the --delete option is not broad reaching.
I think that something like:

#!/bin/sh
do
done

do
rsync -av --delete $d /share/videos
done
would have been a touch more relevant. In this case I would have said that /share/Backup-HDD-01 doesn't get deleted by the 2nd rsync and at the end of the bash script execution I have a double copy of both, /share/Public/FourSeasonsTheatre and /share/Public/W2K-SATA-F, in /share/Backup-HDD-01 and /share/videos.

This outcome would be a nice-to-have for my particular situation and indeed is what I'm expecting to see soon as I can access my NAS file-system.

Do you agree?
No. Why would you want to have a 2nd copy on the NAS itself, eating up space? Rsync is meant of external backing up.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
SergeGardien
Starting out

Post by SergeGardien »

MrVideo wrote:I was just tyring to show that the --delete option is not broad reaching.
I see. That seems a good thing for my situation :wink:
MrVideo wrote:Why would you want to have a 2nd copy on the NAS itself, eating up space? Rsync is meant of external backing up.
I wasn't suggesting to have a 2nd copy on the hard disk. I put forward the example to conjecture that /share/Backup-HDD-01 doesn't get deleted by the 2nd rsync, a situation which would have been perfectly equal to mine one. I was asking your opinion on that specific hypothesis, not on the double copy.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

Ah, hypothesis correct.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
SergeGardien
Starting out

Post by SergeGardien »

MrVideo wrote:Ah, hypothesis correct.
Good :DD

A QNAP Engineer checked my NAS and he has not been able to detect any superblock on the HDDs. As a consequence I need to recover the data by connecting the HDDs to my Mac directly (with a USB-SATA adapter, DAS or the likes).

As advised I'll follow the guide at: http://qnap[REMOVE_THIS]support.net/teknik-destek/qnap-nas-cihazlarindan-veri-kurtarma-felaket-senaryolari/raid-1-single-disk-yapisindan-veri-kurtarmak
Last edited by SergeGardien on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That domain was hacked, all page referrals other than search endings forward to spam sites
SergeGardien
Starting out

Post by SergeGardien »

dolbyman wrote:
That domain was hacked, all page referrals other than search endings forward to spam sites
Actually the URL I've posted earlier has been modified by the forum. I didn't post the address unofficialqnapsupport.net but qnap[REMOVE_THIS]support.net.
It seems that if I attach the two words [qnap] and [support.net] the forum doesn't like it.

Anyway, QNAP support suggested me that address.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

SergeGardien wrote:Actually the URL I've posted earlier has been modified by the forum. I didn't post the address unofficialqnapsupport.net but qnap[REMOVE_THIS]support.net.
It seems that if I attach the two words [qnap] and [support.net] the forum doesn't like it.
Yes, this forum performs that address mod automatically. The other site can be a little hit-and-miss with the accuracy of their info and I guess QNAP want to distance themselves from it. Well, except for the odd QNAP support tech. :S

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SergeGardien
Starting out

Post by SergeGardien »

OneCD wrote:
SergeGardien wrote:Actually the URL I've posted earlier has been modified by the forum. I didn't post the address unofficialqnapsupport.net but qnap[REMOVE_THIS]support.net.
Yes, this forum performs that address mod automatically. The other site can be a little hit-and-miss with the accuracy of their info and I guess QNAP want to distance themselves from it. Well, except for the odd QNAP support tech. :S
Thanks OneCD. You have strikethrough my doubt :wink:

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”