Hard drive access never stops ?!

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
NeilR
New here

Hard drive access never stops ?!

Post by NeilR »

I have a TS-251+ with a 2 x 2Tb WD Red drive RAID. It's all good but the disk activity NEVER stops, and I mean never.
I can come down in the middle of the night and the drives are still whirring away. What on earth is going on ? I haven't installed any apps, updates or new files for weeks and yet it's constantly flashing away doing something ... any ideas on how I can track down what's going on ? I can't see the disks lasting if they're being hammered 24/7.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hard drive access never stops ?!

Post by dolbyman »

did you bother to read other threads in here ..?

this is a recent one

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=133516

NeilR wrote:I can't see the disks lasting if they're being hammered 24/7.
NAS drives are made for 24/7 usage so they should be fine
NeilR
New here

Post by NeilR »

I did do a search for 'disk continual access' or somesuch, nothing much came up .. The search on these sort of forums isn't too clever.

Anyway, this isn't a case of the disks spinning down. Lots of disks remain spun up 24/7 but these are constantly being written to / read from. Both disks.
Chattering away the whole time.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the link above points to a program that can identify the write/read access culprits
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Download station or other P2P programs enabled?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
voy13k
Starting out

Post by voy13k »

My WD RED is doing the same thing. I put it down to the HDD firmware feature, can't remember what it's called, which during idle periods keeps constantly reading the disk to find and correct/relocate bad sectors, ahead of them being needed by the system.

The reason I think it's HDD firmware rather than QNAP is that with drive spin down enabled on QNAP my drives actually do spin down, even though I can hear the HDD "chatter" immediately before that. If it was QNAP doing anything I wouldn't expect HDDs to spin down.

With the spindown disabled I can hear the drives working at all times, including dead of night.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Are either of you running Plex?

Plex on QNAP does not allow Spindown, which means your drives will spin 24/7 even if they're set to Spindown after a certain period of “inactivity”.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
KubazQNAS
New here

Post by KubazQNAS »

I am no expert but it seems kind of weird for a "green" NAS to spin all drives at maximum RPM 24/7. In hardware there is a setting to put the drives to sleep and they don't. Obviously, something is not working. My other old NAS OF A different brand only spins the drives up when they are accessed and it's been around for 5 years with no issues. I love everything bout my new QNAP except the constant sniping noise which makes it sound like it's about to take ff to an outer space but despite what the experts say in these discussions, I am not convinced this is normal. The vibrations the NAS gives off when 3 8TB WD Red drives are spinning at their maximum rpm travel up my wall and i hear and feel the constant hum all the time. It NEVER stops even when there is NO activity at all and nothing is connected to it. I disabled everything i could, prevented it from accessing the internet and still it's constantly spun up - all drives at max speed all the time. Funny thing is when i set it up in at my office i remember it being very quiet, the i brought it home and it never stops. So I brought it back to the office to test it and wouldn't you know it - goes idle after exactly the time its set to go idle. when i access when its on my office network it is spins up then after the set time it goes idle. Brought it home and connected it to my home network and it spins all the time and never goes idle. I don't have the know-how to troubleshoot this but what I do now is that something on my home network is causing to constantly spin.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

99% of all harddrive models just have one speed...so yes..that would be max

maybe some device is access it at home..run the standby test to find out (in helpdesk app)

you can also try a foam pad to isolate the nas from.your furniture

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”