A note about Fan Speed and about Seagate Ironwolf drives

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Ericnepean
Know my way around

A note about Fan Speed and about Seagate Ironwolf drives

Post by Ericnepean »

I just installed two Seagate Ironwolf 6TB SN6000VN0041 into my TS-251A in RAID 1. QTS 4.3.3.210 Although they are slightly faster than the WD50EFRX drives, they also run hotter.

They are slightly cooler (29C) than the WD, if the drive is doing nothing. But start some sustained activity like a disk synchronise or Malware check, and the temperature very quickly rises to 50C. The fan speed does not increase to manage it.

SMART status is still OK, and the data sheet says no more that 60C continuous, but I prefer a little cooler than that. In my career have seen too many electronics running at rather warm temperatures fail a bit early. Failure rate in general doubles every 10C.

The second comment is about fan speed control.

1) I observe that with the drives at 50C, the SMART Fan control does not increase the fan speed
2) I observe that with the drives at 50C, the fan speed profile control does not increase the fan speed
These fan speed controls seem tied to the system temperature, which is still quite cool even though the drives are hot.

3) I observe that with the manual fan speed setting at 50%, the control does not function properly after the NAS restarts
The actual fan speed is the minimum, but the speed control still says 50%. To fix it, you have to change the speed setting by 5% or more, and apply it (if you do not change the setting it will not apply)

I have requested a ticket on item 3) but QNAP has not responded yet.

I have tried to raise a ticket on 1) and 2) , but it was rejected, QNAP said that I should file a product feature request. :roll: :(
Eric in Ottawa, Canada
TS-251A with 2x 6TB Seagate IronWolf in RAID 1
TR-004 with 4x 4TB HGST in RAID 5
DS923+ with 4x10GB WD Red in RAID 5
Ericnepean
Know my way around

Re: A note about Fan Speed and about Seagate Ironwolf drives

Post by Ericnepean »

QNAP has replicated the fan issue on restart (item 3) and this has been sent to their development team.
Eric in Ottawa, Canada
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Ericnepean wrote:These fan speed controls seem tied to the system temperature...
Yes they are.
I have tried to raise a ticket on 1) and 2) , but it was rejected, QNAP said that I should file a product feature request. :roll: :(
That's logical. The NAS is working as it was designed and intended and if you want to change that design, that's a feature request.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Ericnepean
Know my way around

Post by Ericnepean »

Now I think that QNAP has politely told me to get lost.
When I submitted a ticket, the response I got from QNAP was that I should post the feature request in the "Features Wanted" forum.
Now that I have read the stickies in the "Features Wanted" forum, it tells me that QNAP do not read the forum, I should submit a ticket.
Eric in Ottawa, Canada
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Ericnepean wrote:Now I think that QNAP has politely told me to get lost.
When I submitted a ticket, the response I got from QNAP was that I should post the feature request in the "Features Wanted" forum.
Now that I have read the stickies in the "Features Wanted" forum, it tells me that QNAP do not read the forum, I should submit a ticket.
well sounds like they don't consider it a bug. so you may do like they suggest

1. create a thread in feature request for what it is you need for the fan
2. perhaps create a net ticket for feature request? then add a reference number for the previous ticket so they know what you were referring to
3. change from smart fan to manual and set your fan to the max speed or speed at which the hdds are at a preferred temp even under load?

these are my own stats using smart fan setting

Anyway these temps are pretty okay and as expected. no problem for me.

PS: my unit is rather dusty, i may have to do some cleanup in spare time. should improve the airflow :) i also don't recommend using vacuum too close to the electronics (especially hard drives). a blower usually is preferred method.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Ericnepean
Know my way around

Post by Ericnepean »

I've been pleasantly surprised (again) by QNAP. I wrote back to the QNAP who asked me to post the feature request in the forum, and he apologised for the confusion, and would send my ticket to the right queue. :D

Although Moogle has a much bigger NAS than I do, I observe two common factors 1) the system temperature is the lowest temperature of any component 2) The drives are the hottest components

I beleive there is a third common factor: the drives are more expensive than the NAS box.

I further observe that the fan speed, in smart fan mode, or in manual profile mode, are reacting only to the system temperature. (in my NAS, the system temperature is slightly below 35C and the fans will not speed up even though the drive temperatures are nearly 50C)
I also see that as drives become larger and faster, some of them run much hotter. I note particularly the difference between the Segate Ironwolf series and the WD Red series.
The failure rate of electronic components doubles every 10C.

So why are the fans not protecting hottest, most expensive components in the system?

That is the basis for my ticket.
Eric in Ottawa, Canada
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Ericnepean wrote:I've been pleasantly surprised (again) by QNAP. I wrote back to the QNAP who asked me to post the feature request in the forum, and he apologised for the confusion, and would send my ticket to the right queue. :D

Although Moogle has a much bigger NAS than I do, I observe two common factors 1) the system temperature is the lowest temperature of any component 2) The drives are the hottest components

I beleive there is a third common factor: the drives are more expensive than the NAS box.

I further observe that the fan speed, in smart fan mode, or in manual profile mode, are reacting only to the system temperature. (in my NAS, the system temperature is slightly below 35C and the fans will not speed up even though the drive temperatures are nearly 50C)
I also see that as drives become larger and faster, some of them run much hotter. I note particularly the difference between the Segate Ironwolf series and the WD Red series.
The failure rate of electronic components doubles every 10C.

So why are the fans not protecting hottest, most expensive components in the system?

That is the basis for my ticket.
If you want to get a more detailed reading, maybe q'center can keep track of historical log of your temps? as far as i know system status is only showing for current.

speaking of temps, what would HAMR hdd temps be like. Because they have a laser heating it up for writing, that will be interesting :shock:
[youtube=]m4NQJtS-Mbs[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”