"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
RoyZATQ
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by RoyZATQ »

Dear all,

After a post I did I have been redirected to this topic.
Although I have not read all 32 pages of comments I see some common problems with my Qnap.
I also get the "disk failed" and then "disk unplugged" error (after a while).
I tried numerous things (disk swap for different type, complete rebuild the system) but after a while the problem returns.
Does any one have the same Qnap TS-431p and found the solution?
I read some about soldering, and as the Qnap is not 100% working I would not mind to try that given I have to know what to solder out and what to solder back in (I can of course attach pictures)
Any one with the solution, I would really appreciate!
Thanks,
regs Roy
Beddhist
Getting the hang of things

Post by Beddhist »

You will have to go backwards through this topic. Kommissar and others have documented what needs to be done.
RoyZATQ
New here

Post by RoyZATQ »

Ok,

I have read the posts and the explanation of Kommissar but also Shmal>
I see people have an almost similar board, and on that board the 4957AGM is the one causing the problem.
Also it is stated to see if external power to the disk solves the problem, however at this moment I don`t have the tool at home to check that, will see if I can get them as soon as possible.
However, if the 4957 is the problem, I have got 2 of them located on my board, how would I know which one to bridge? Next to that oh man those things are tiny!
I would like to upload 3 pictures of the board maybe some one can tell me what I need to change, however as I am not used to fora...how can I upload the pictures? Edit; Thanks for the explanation!!
Hope to hear from you soon

ow my qnap info:
TS-431p
Version 4.4.2.1320
Raid 6
4 x WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 2Tb each
Board states: QY44 Rev:1.0 E243739 s/n 21703003270 TS-431x BP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RoyZATQ on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you go to the full reply page...the file upload option is below the text area
RoyZATQ
New here

Post by RoyZATQ »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 pm if you go to the full reply page...the file upload option is below the text area
appreciate it, pictures uploaded, many thanks!
xtreme
Starting out

Post by xtreme »

Hi. I have QNAP TVS-463 (bought late 2017) with BP TS-463 V1.00. I use to use it with only Slots 1 & 2 occupied and had no idea of this backplane design flaw.
About year later (12/2018) I occupied the Slot 3. About six months from that (2019) I added the 4th drive and the 3th drive started getting ejected constantly. On Slot 3 and 4 there was a HGST 12TB drive.
QNAP technician inspected remotely and told me that "This might be fourth drive rebuilding cause error. The repair of this will cost you around 360 USD. Please note that the repair cost includes the inspection cost, labor cost, and one-way shipping cost.". I couldn't go with that as shipping the device back would have costed me 123 USD (yes, I'm in the country with maybe the most expensive postal service).

I wonder what caused the MOSFET 4957AGM to keep up too hot (and then give up)? I found this interesting forum post: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/thr ... ost-541440 .
I have read the workaround (thx kommisar) for this but something (a design flaw for sure) is causing the problem in the first place. Is there some idea how to prevent the MOSFETs from damaging again (if the MOSFETs get replaced first)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patrikr
First post

Post by patrikr »

Hi all,

Add me to the list of people affected by this... My TS-231 worked great for 3½ years, but a few days ago it suddenly reported that disk 2 failed. I replaced it with a new WD Red, and that one "failed" 3% into rebuilding the RAID 1. Then I found this thread through a Google search. A big thank you to all the knowledgeable people here who have discovered and explained the root cause!

My question now is: has QNAP learned from their mistakes and fixed the backplane in their newer models? I'm looking at maybe buying a TS-231K as a replacement, it was apparently released a few months ago so hopefully it's improved?

Or should I give up on QNAP and get a Synology instead?
RoyZATQ
New here

Post by RoyZATQ »

In the emeanwhile I was able to get an external power supply and m/f sata data cable see pic below
System now is running without a problem, so must be the same problem as everybody else has.
Anyone who can tell me which of the both 4957AGM I need to bridge?
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

@RoyZATQ: I think you have 3 options:

1. Fit a heat sink on both chips and, if necessary, turn up the fan speed. Fan speed alone worked for me, but I got both of my boards soldered anyway, as I found full speed too loud.

2. Use a multimeter and check for continuity between the MOSFET's legs and the SATA power connector.

3. Employ the services of an electronics technician.
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

xtreme wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:46 am Is there some idea how to prevent the MOSFETs from damaging again (if the MOSFETs get replaced first)?
Fit heat sinks. Increase the fan speed.
RoyZATQ
New here

Post by RoyZATQ »

I just checked the disk temps: 41c/105f
I don`t mind using the additional power supply as the system will go in some closet (where I also will not hear the fan ;-)
But to be honest I just want the system to work as it should so in the 2 options;
1. -Heat sync, you mean the same thing as on the processor in a computer with the special "glue"? Are those available for such small chips? And what are the odds of success (low - average - good)
2. -multimeter should I check for currency between the MOSFET and the SATA connector on the board? I am not exactly sure how an what you mean.

3.-...I will ask around at my work if 1 and 2 don`t work...maybe someone can help me

Or...just keep the external power running, will cost some extra power but don`t think a lot more...

Thanks for your advice!
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

I have almost no electronics knowledge, so all I can use is common sense.

Since these chips supply power to the drive one side will be connected to a pin on the power connector. So I would put my multimeter on resistance and check which of the legs has 0 resistance to one of the power connector pins. When you find the one connection you have identified which chip supplies the slot in question.

Near the beginning of the topic somebody used small heat sinks on the chips. I take it by 'glue' you mean heat paste. You can't use that, because it will not hold the heat sink down (it's not glue.) On my two units just turning up the fan speed made the problem go away, so all you want to do is make it run cooler. If the noise level doesn't bother you I suggest trying it with the fan speed turned to max and leaving everything else alone. It may be all that's needed. It worked for both my units, but I don't want the noise in the lounge.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is sticky thermal glue and also thermal adhesive pads
microsolder
Starting out

Post by microsolder »

EasyGo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm I do have a question for microsolder -- what scope did you use to do the data logging? It looks expensive (ha) but I'm going to purchase something to be able to do that. My old analog stuff just doesn't cut it any more.
Hi! The "scope" seen in the images is actually Keithey DMM6500. https://www.tek.com/tektronix-and-keith ... er/dmm6500
RoyZATQ
New here

Post by RoyZATQ »

Update;
before shutting down the system I have set the fan to high.
I inserted the disk in the casing, but whilst starting the system already reported the raid to be degraded and disk 4 missing.
As the electronics are not my best I will probably go with the external power supply.

Thanks

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”