"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by dolbyman »

a RAID is never a backup ... it does not help on file deletion or NAS defect (you just found that out)

if you need to get your files back, try to repair your NAS or migrate to a new one
https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration
humanoid1
New here

Post by humanoid1 »

An update - QNAP have advised it appears that there is an error on one of the SATA controllers. It can the the chip on the back plane or it could be a hardware issue on one of the disks that cause the SATA controller to behave like this. I also noticed on the error log that 4 of my 6 disks had a NCQ disabled timeout error message which may explain why my NAS only reportd 2/6 disks and in good health but with Volume full.

QNAP support have advised to take out all disks and boot the NAS and to add the disks 1 by 1 in order a few mins apart to see if things start acting up to diagnose if a back panel of hdd error. Booting the NAS without any hdd I tried to login via Qfinder but it asked to initialize - assumed no as this may wipe my data. I added hdd1 and a few mins later added disk 2 and had messages saying on the NAS they had been added, but still could not logon via Qfinder without the initialization. Tried adding disk 3 and had a flashing green light above it and no message of it being added whereas the first 2 hdds had solid green lights. Same when I then added disks 4 through 6 where all have flashing green lights above them except disk 4, which only flashes green far less frequently. This HDD was replaced about 6 weeks ago and seemed to have been working OK.

Not sure if this means backpanel failure or HDD issue as I couldnt actually logon via Qfinder to monitor any other notifications whilst adding each drive, but either way my main concern is whether there is anyway to get and backup the data from my RAID5 HDDs?

humanoid1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am Hi guys this is my first post as think I am having the same issue reported within this thread which started this morning and currently freaking as to what to do - I have a TS-653A with 6x WD Red 8tb drives which I purchased in 2018. I use it for home/personal use including games/music/films/photos as well as for my personal business files. I have never really explored any of the more technical stuff the NAS can do as only have very basic knowledge as really needed the NAS only to access at home for accessing by or streaming to my devices.

Long story short drives 3 through 6 are all showing as disconnected and I am unable to access the majority of my data (about 16tb worth) - and I don't have a backup.....I had thought running it as RAID5 would give me enough protection so I really am hoping there is some way to recover my files.

I noticed last night my streaming app wasn't working and when this has happened in the past it's because the app needs updating - I logged on via Qfinder and got a message about a firmware update which I did. Everything seemed OK and was able to access my streaming app (although didnt watch anything. I did'nt notice any other warnings but I wasn't looking and then went to bed. This morning I noticed some warnings on my NAS unit so logged onto Qfinder and saw drives 3,4,5 and 6 were all disconnected with RAID Group 1 not active and only 2 of the 6 files showing. I could not actually get disk management to open to check health of the disks other than from the summary in the top right corner.

I restarted the NAS and initially all seemed OK but then got a notification that the file system was not clean - I had noticed issues of thumbnails being generated for some of my media and so ran the cleaner but it failed not long after with the disks being disconnected again. I had to go out so turned everything off. When I got home turned it all on and noticed on the boot up there were a couple of unual things including the green lights above the disk drives flashing on and off for drives 3 to 6 but after each alternating set of flashing, the light above disk 4 remaining black. After everything had booted I tried to access my folders via Network on my PC, I could access the top level folder but not the main subfolder with all my media. Instead I got the following message

"Folder not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A device attached to the system is not functioning"

I have not had any issues with the NAS although at some point each of the 6 disks I believe has failed over the time I have had it and has been replaced by WD - the most recent being about a month ago. Is there any way to fix this given the unit is now of warranty but most importantly, is there anyway to recover my data as it was RAID5 and only 2 disks are showing as working under QFinder? i have submitted a note at the QNAP support website but no reply as yet.
Juza-xy
New here

Post by Juza-xy »

hi
I share my experience.
Qnap: Ts-451A
Problem: 4* bay - "Disk Failed" - "Disk Unplugged" errors

1st attempt: hard disk powered with external power -> the hard disk disconnects
2nd attempt: MOSFET (4957AGM) replacement
q.jpg

with the replacement of the mosfet I solved the problem.
thank you
bye
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sp7ukl
First post

Post by sp7ukl »

Juza-xy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:50 pm (...)
(...)
is it the only way for TS-451A?
Juza-xy
New here

Post by Juza-xy »

I would say yes.
maybe you could try to solder the contacts near the mosfet :!: :?:
Crazzir
First post

Post by Crazzir »

sp7ukl wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:46 am
Juza-xy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:50 pm (...)
(...)
is it the only way for TS-451A?
I recently bridged the B1,B2,B3 and B4 on my TS-451A backplane (TS-451II BP V 1.0), bypassing the two MOSFETs. So far I've had no disks dropping out.
bruce_miranda
Getting the hang of things

Post by bruce_miranda »

I had a very similar issue where one HDD was constantly getting disconnected. I connected it to an external PSU and SATA cable. It appeared to work better but even then after a few days/weeks that same HDD would disconnect. Same symptoms as the MOSFET back plane failures.

QNAP had looked at my logs and they too said it was a back plane failure.

But having the drive still getting disconnected with an external PSU made look at other possibilities.
Ordered a new HDD and put that in and everything seemed to start working again.
The offending HDD shows absolutely errors or issues when put through the diagnostic tools but yet fails to keep spinning after a while of functioning fine.
So don't always assume it's the back plane.
NAS : TVS-471
CPU : i7-4790T
RAM : 16GB
HDD : 2 x 10TB + 1 x 6TB + 1 x 4TB
SSD : 2 x 500GB (used for SSD Cache)
jericho63
New here

Post by jericho63 »

Hello,

i have a TS863 an the disk on the bay 5 to 8 are see plugged then pass to state unplugged .
bay 1 to 4 are ok

i have tried with several disk , same resultat see plugged , begin the raid repair then pass to state unplugged

Is the TS863 (2016 warrantly expired ) have the same issue with mosfet for the sata power?

Thank you
bruce_miranda
Getting the hang of things

Post by bruce_miranda »

The only way to be certain is to power these disks via a separate PSU and plug them into the backplane via a SATA cable. Then leave them for a few days/weeks and see what happens.
NAS : TVS-471
CPU : i7-4790T
RAM : 16GB
HDD : 2 x 10TB + 1 x 6TB + 1 x 4TB
SSD : 2 x 500GB (used for SSD Cache)
jericho63
New here

Post by jericho63 »

hello,

I have no extra psu under the hand, i will get one.

this morning the disk on bay 5 is green and the raid is repaired.... yestereday i let the thing with only one disk on bay five in state disk unplugged.. the nigh havee helped him !
this evening i will try to add an another disk, but i think there is a power issue with this bays
i will certain when i get an extra psu to try.
Thank you, i keeep you update.

jericho
charlieOZ
First post

Post by charlieOZ »

I had a similar issue. I replaced a failing drive with a cheapo just for the time being. When I got the warranty replacement from WD the web interface showed that the cheapo was still there and when I tried manually to rebuild, nothing happened.
I powered down and restarted and it immediately started to rebuild.
chirag11
Starting out

Post by chirag11 »

Juza-xy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:50 pm hi
I share my experience.
Qnap: Ts-451A
Problem: 4* bay - "Disk Failed" - "Disk Unplugged" errors

1st attempt: hard disk powered with external power -> the hard disk disconnects

q.jpg

with the replacement of the mosfet I solved the problem.
thank you
bye
Hey there!
I’m having this same issue, but with slot 1 (closest to the pcie connector)
Which mosfet do I replace? The one closest to the SATA connector for slot 1 (top left of the image)
Also did you follow any testing steps before replacing the mosfet? How about any special tools besides soldering iron?
oleg
New here

Post by oleg »

Hello everybody!
I have a 5 drive NAS and 4 separate drives.
First, one disk (the fourth) disconnected, I successfully returned it with commands "mdadm -AfR /dev/md4 /dev/sXXX" and "/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh".
Then one more (third), but he did not want to work in any way.
I set the fan speed to maximum and the problem went away, but a new one appeared.

After the return of the third disk, an unknown volume appeared (see 01.png). After rebooting the NAS, DataVol3 gets an error, but it is fixed by the command (/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh). However, the unknown volume remains. If delete DataVol3 (with the disk unplugged), then both of them disappear. But when the disk is returned, the unknown volume appears again.

How to remove it and fix this glitch?
I can't remove this via web-interface, because page isn't loaded (only 58% - see 02.png)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
docwoelle
New here

Post by docwoelle »

I have a TS-431P with the same fault on bay 2.
Replaced the E6P02-Mosfet with SI4925DDY-T1-GE3 and added a (small) heatsink to it.
Works like a charm - problem seems to be solved.
Juza-xy
New here

Post by Juza-xy »

chirag11 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:56 am Hey there!
I’m having this same issue, but with slot 1 (closest to the pcie connector)
Which mosfet do I replace? The one closest to the SATA connector for slot 1 (top left of the image)
Also did you follow any testing steps before replacing the mosfet? How about any special tools besides soldering iron?
Hi
The mosfet you should replace is U8 at the top left of my photo.
I used a soldering station with a digital microscope.
I did not do any tests to bypass the mosfet, I immediately replaced it.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”