"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Beddhist
Getting the hang of things

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Beddhist »

Update on my 2 TS-431 units:

1 has been working flawlessly since having the chips bypassed.

2nd spat out 2 disks again, nuking the RAID5 in the process, TWICE. Unit swapped with the other one and ran fine with 4 individual volumes - until I removed one disk and swapped another into another slot. It now ejects disks 2, 3 & 4.

Both are in the process of being replaced with an OMV server (Pentium Silver, TDP 10W, 32GB RAM, 12 SATA ports). I'm so over all these problems I don't think I'll ever buy another NAS.
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

For the last two months I was using an external PSU to power a HDD, and used a SATA data cable to connect the HDD to the backplane. That worked for a while and so I thought I too had this MOSFET backplane issue.
However since yesterday, that external PSU solution is suffering from the same symptoms. I.e. the NAS starts up with the 4 drives detected, then starts to rebuild the RAID but then the same HDD drops out.
If this was a power issue then why is the NAS still dropping the disk, even when the backplane isn't powering the HDD
NAS : TVS-471
CPU : i7-4790T
RAM : 16GB
HDD : 2 x 10TB + 1 x 6TB + 1 x 4TB
SSD : 2 x 500GB (used for SSD Cache)
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

Interesting subject. I also had a disk 3 failing at 99,8% RAID-5 rebuild (about a month ago). It also was WD EFRX (2 TB in my case). I run 4.3.3.1432 build 20201006. No memory upgrade in my case. Model TS-419Pii.
I changed all disks to Ironwolf 3 TB and am rebuilding the NAS from scratch (and backups). Seems to be rocksolid again. It appears that the combination EFRX - memory - firmware version needs some deeper insights from QNAP-support side.
xtreme
Starting out

Post by xtreme »

bruce_miranda wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 pm For the last two months I was using an external PSU to power a HDD, and used a SATA data cable to connect the HDD to the backplane. That worked for a while and so I thought I too had this MOSFET backplane issue.
However since yesterday, that external PSU solution is suffering from the same symptoms. I.e. the NAS starts up with the 4 drives detected, then starts to rebuild the RAID but then the same HDD drops out.
If this was a power issue then why is the NAS still dropping the disk, even when the backplane isn't powering the HDD
Sorry about that. Yours sounds like there is now some other problem than those MOSFETs.

On my case I had changed the two MOSFETs and now one of them broke some weeks ago (Disk 3 / MOSFET on the left side). It was running cool (up to +37C which isn't that much) but still it broke. I've been running it with external PSU to confirm that it's the MOSFET again.

I read from other forum that the 3 & 4 have (Dual) MOSFETs for both +5 and +12V lines. Those MOSFETs are controlled by those small SOT-23 MOSFETs. So I've been wondering if there is even more MOSFET damage than the APEC AP4957AGM ones.
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

Has anyone had a stand alone drive fail due to a backplane issue, or is it always part of a RAID?
I am wondering if the RAID settings has something to do here.
My drive slot 1 and 2 are in a RAID. And I have always had the drive 2 give me a problem. At first it use to work for a few days after the RAID rebuilt. But then in Jan it never booted up with disk 2. Moved to the external PSU and SATA cable, everything works for 2 months until I pulled out a USB device and that ejected the Drive 2, even though it was using the external PSU.
Drive 3 and 4 are just stand alone volumes and are completely unaffected.
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

Finally on 5th restart attempt the HDD with the external PSU has stayed connected and the RAID has rebuilt completely. Let's see how long it stays this way before ejecting again. Something tells me there is more at play here than just faulty power MOSFETs. Because with an external PSU there was no reason for the HDD to be ejected. All I did was pull out and plug back in a USB device. Unless this issue has some correlation with overall power management.
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

Everything stayed put for a few days, until I downloaded some new content and played it from a media player that accesses the NAS. The externally powered HDD ejected at the end of our watching session. It was just too coincidental. So if I had a MOSFET backplane issue, why did my HDD eject, even though it is no longer powered by the NAS.
dkarhu
New here

Post by dkarhu »

An update on my issue related to a new TS-1232XU-RP unit. Also, I want to give my impression of how QNAP handles this in a warranty situation, and to summarize, they handled it terribly, basically doing their best to avoid having to do any work.

I bought a new 12 bay TS-1232XU-RP unit, together with 12 HGST hard drives, from QNAP back in September. Very quickly afterwards, drives started showing offline, various slots, very frequently - device was basicaly unusable. I submitted tickets. QNAP's position regarding this is that the drives are NOT their responsibility, even though they sold the unit with the drives. Interesting position, right'? They did however note that the issue was the firmware of the hard drives. So they basically admitted to selling hard drive not compatible with their system, but refuse to rectify the matter.

QNAP referred me to Toshiba for support, which I spent some time trying to get through to. Toshiba's position is they do not support the end user with hard drive firmware upgrades, period. When I told QNAP about this, they basically shrugged and maintained that I needed to talk to Toshiba and that there is nothing they could do.

So what I ended up doing is reseating all the drives, rebuilding the array, and the system worked for a couple months. The system was used to hold backups of backups - that is all I could really do with it. Then after a couple of months, same problems.

Now I finally get an email from QNAP saying they will try to get Toshiba to help me. I am not holding my breath.

I am never ever buying a QNAP product again. The gall to sell a system with the hard drives, then admit that the hard drives had incompatible firmware, then refuse to help rectify this is simply beyond anything I have experienced with. The warranty is WORTHLESS when it comes to the hard drives if you bought a complete system!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

dkarhu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 am I bought a new 12 bay TS-1232XU-RP unit, together with 12 HGST hard drives, from QNAP back in September.
You can't buy a NAS from QNAP because they don't sell them - "authorised" resellers do. So, your issue is with the reseller. Which one is it?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

I am now convinced my issue is something else beyond just a power mgmt problem on the backplane. As I mentioned before I now have my HDD (which is part of a RAID 1) sitting outside the NAS enclosure using its own PSU and I get the drive still disconnect and drop off the RAID. The other thing I have noticed is that a simple Restart will not pick up the disconnected drive again, I have to Shutdown and Power up again for the disconnected drive to be redirected. Its always the same drive which is in the RAID.
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

bruce_miranda wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 pm The other thing I have noticed is that a simple Restart will not pick up the disconnected drive again, I have to Shutdown and Power up again for the disconnected drive to be redirected. Its always the same drive which is in the RAID.
I'm not that firm on electronics, but doesn't that suggest a mosfet (or something) error. As they will stay loaded while reboot, but loose the power if shutdown completely.
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
bruce_miranda

Post by bruce_miranda »

holger_kuehn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm
bruce_miranda wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 pm The other thing I have noticed is that a simple Restart will not pick up the disconnected drive again, I have to Shutdown and Power up again for the disconnected drive to be redirected. Its always the same drive which is in the RAID.
I'm not that firm on electronics, but doesn't that suggest a mosfet (or something) error. As they will stay loaded while reboot, but loose the power if shutdown completely.
Why do the MOSFETs come into play, if the drives are actually being powered by a PSU external to the NAS.
What I am suggesting is that there is something else that is causing the drives to get disconnected. It's not just a power management issue.
BrodVictor
First post

Post by BrodVictor »

Hi.... I have PC ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so I have chosen to format.I have two separate hard circles that are a similar brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, every 500 gb limit. Before I chose to design , one of my hard disks(that is my segment D) began to make weird commotions and it was not recognized,but I was utilizing my PC without issues in light of the fact that my windows was introduced on my other hard circle (that is my parcel C).So now my inquiry is this :

After I designed them both I do not understand which one is which ?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BrodVictor wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:57 pm Hi.... I have PC ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so I have chosen to format.I have two separate hard circles that are a similar brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, every 500 gb limit. Before I chose to design , one of my hard disks(that is my segment D) began to make weird commotions and it was not recognized,but I was utilizing my PC without issues in light of the fact that my windows was introduced on my other hard circle (that is my parcel C).So now my inquiry is this :

After I designed them both I do not understand which one is which ?
Do you have a QNAP NAS?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
humanoid1
New here

Post by humanoid1 »

Hi guys this is my first post as think I am having the same issue reported within this thread which started this morning and currently freaking as to what to do - I have a TS-653A with 6x WD Red 8tb drives which I purchased in 2018. I use it for home/personal use including games/music/films/photos as well as for my personal business files. I have never really explored any of the more technical stuff the NAS can do as only have very basic knowledge as really needed the NAS only to access at home for accessing by or streaming to my devices.

Long story short drives 3 through 6 are all showing as disconnected and I am unable to access the majority of my data (about 16tb worth) - and I don't have a backup.....I had thought running it as RAID5 would give me enough protection so I really am hoping there is some way to recover my files.

I noticed last night my streaming app wasn't working and when this has happened in the past it's because the app needs updating - I logged on via Qfinder and got a message about a firmware update which I did. Everything seemed OK and was able to access my streaming app (although didnt watch anything. I did'nt notice any other warnings but I wasn't looking and then went to bed. This morning I noticed some warnings on my NAS unit so logged onto Qfinder and saw drives 3,4,5 and 6 were all disconnected with RAID Group 1 not active and only 2 of the 6 files showing. I could not actually get disk management to open to check health of the disks other than from the summary in the top right corner.

I restarted the NAS and initially all seemed OK but then got a notification that the file system was not clean - I had noticed issues of thumbnails being generated for some of my media and so ran the cleaner but it failed not long after with the disks being disconnected again. I had to go out so turned everything off. When I got home turned it all on and noticed on the boot up there were a couple of unual things including the green lights above the disk drives flashing on and off for drives 3 to 6 but after each alternating set of flashing, the light above disk 4 remaining black. After everything had booted I tried to access my folders via Network on my PC, I could access the top level folder but not the main subfolder with all my media. Instead I got the following message

"Folder not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A device attached to the system is not functioning"

I have not had any issues with the NAS although at some point each of the 6 disks I believe has failed over the time I have had it and has been replaced by WD - the most recent being about a month ago. Is there any way to fix this given the unit is now of warranty but most importantly, is there anyway to recover my data as it was RAID5 and only 2 disks are showing as working under QFinder? i have submitted a note at the QNAP support website but no reply as yet.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”