"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
oleg
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by oleg »

oleg wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:39 pm How to remove it and fix this glitch?
I can't remove this via web-interface, because page isn't loaded (only 58% - see 02.png)
Resolved:
First, I safely detached volume3. Then the delete button appeared in the management of legacy volume. Pressed it, but phantom-volume don't disappeared. After reboot, it disappeared. Finally, I restored volume3 and now everything is in order even after a reboot.
P.S. Also I switched the fan to smart mode to maintain the 35-45C range. All ok.
xtreme
Starting out

Post by xtreme »

oleg wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:38 am Resolved:
First, I safely detached volume3. Then the delete button appeared in the management of legacy volume. Pressed it, but phantom-volume don't disappeared. After reboot, it disappeared. Finally, I restored volume3 and now everything is in order even after a reboot.
P.S. Also I switched the fan to smart mode to maintain the 35-45C range. All ok.
Good to hear that.

I've had problems with my MOSFETs and replaced them and one broke later again.
I did a lot of tests and discovered that MOSFET (damaged one) seems to behave when the temperature reached certain level:

System temp. 40°C HDD3 Drop off -> System temp. 36°C HDD3 Came back

After the problems I also switched to same setting:
Automatically adjust fan speed (recommended):
low speed 35°C / full speed 45°C
sheepthief
First post

Post by sheepthief »

So, what's the root cause of the mosfet failures? The issue seems to be spread too far over time for it to be a bad batch of devices, which suggests that they're being run too close to their limits, or beyond. In other words it would seem to be a design fault. :-(
yann35
Starting out

Post by yann35 »

Good day all,
I have a TVS-471 and I am also impacted with this issue. I am sorry but I have no electronic knowledge but I have some good experience of IT hardware.

Based on the previous posts I understand that this issue is coming from a bad mosfet that needs to be replaced. Also, I have seen that most you have been impacted on the second half of your bays (i.e bays 3 and/or 4).

In my case it is the bay #2 that is not recognised (no power on it at all). Since I have a 4 bays device, I am a little bit lost. I am attaching a picture of my SATA board.

Could you please tell me what faulty part(s) on this back panel need(s) to be replaced and if possible the reference of the faulty part(s) ?

I have opened a ticket with QNAP but they are proposing a RMA with a $620 charge... I cannot accept it especially if the solution is just to replace a small part on it. I know someone who could replace such a faulty part but I need to know which one to replace on this board.

Thanks a lot for all your help and have a great day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtreme
Starting out

Post by xtreme »

sheepthief wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:54 pm So, what's the root cause of the mosfet failures? The issue seems to be spread too far over time for it to be a bad batch of devices, which suggests that they're being run too close to their limits, or beyond. In other words it would seem to be a design fault. :-(
As far as I've read this thread it's caused by a design failure. They clearly haven't acknowledged how wide spread it is and they have only partially admitted it (meaning some of their workers have admitted this). They haven't acknowledged it?!.. please note that the latest models also suffers from the same failures. :cry:
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

I have a TS-453Mini with one bay suffering from this defect.
I would have replaced the MOSFET myself had I only been able to locate it on the backplane.
Even if QNAP refuse to take responsibility for this, they could at least provide some guidance to those of use who are willing to attempt repair ourselves. WIthout schematics or at least PCB layout, I'm lost.
ImageImageImage
eskiqn21
First post

Post by eskiqn21 »

I had this failure on TS-1273U-RP nas in slot 11. After checking that disk(s) are fine and verifying that NAS is out of warranty, so next step was to gamble. Nothing much to lose so I made soldering hack around 4957AGM MOSFETs. After that slot 11 did not have errors and rebuilding raid 6 array in slots 5-12 was fine. During tests slots 9-10 and 12 suffered same disk not exist etc errors. Not much lose and hack for slot 11 did work, so I soldered hack to all MOSFETs for slots 5-12. Preventive work for 5-8. Looks like that for slots 1-4 they got power thru backplane bridge from motherboard, so not fix there.

MOSFETs do not feel hot so this could be age thing. This was triggered when new disk were plugger. Originally nas had disk in 1-4 and 9-12. Adding disks to 5-8 did trigger this issue or it was just a coincidence.

So far raid scrubs and tests show no errors. Attached picture of the backplane after fix. It is not pretty, but it is not stupid if it works :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MooseyZone
New here

Post by MooseyZone »

OK read 90% of post here, so there is no actual solution to the problem?
I have just bought a TS-451DeU and put 4 10tb WD GOLD drives in, within a day they all failed one by one, 2 went to RMA due to Cyclic something error the disks were un mountable. *yea I lost the entire RAID,, who loses 2 disks in 24hrs?
I thought maybe the GOLD drives were inferior or incompatible (since there are now discontinued)
If u ever used RMA from WD, you already know, I went and bought 3 more WD RED, and put those in, I dont think it even last 4 hours and the drive 3 fail (disconnected), put the dead drive in a computer with some software and it is completely F*ckd, bad sectors massive. so is this a bad luck getting faulty drives from WD? or is it the Qnap NAS?
The TS451 is presently running with 2 Red and 2 Gold, and doing disk by disk check for bad sectors.(about 14 hrs a disk)

I certainly wouldn't trust any data on this rig until it performs for a month or so.

Did I have 3 of 7 disks bad? or is this NAS a POS?

Mosfets? yea sure but that's a manufacturing defect, this is literally 1 month old, I will say, somewhere in this thread there was a cooling issue, My TS451 is in a closed rack, was about 90F, i put an extra fan and it is now 81F and it hasn't failed yet about 48hours. heating issue??
The thing is , when a drive fails it almost always corrupts the disk, it has to be a power issue, I had a TS421 for years with zero issues
So is this a write off? seems Qnap isn't warranty friendly (from what I read here),what can I do?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The mosfet issue would not cause physical defects on the drives..so whatever is happeneing shouldn't be caused by that
djcristi
Starting out

Post by djcristi »

had this issue with ts-531x , it was running for 4 years with 4tb skyhawks with no issue, and sudden it showed this error. replaced disk with a new one first, i tought it was a disk failure but same, after 5 minutes plugged it stopped/respinning. Replaced the mosfet (4957AGM , in picture) and now working fine. It was the only solution for me, since the backplate is not available to order and this nas is no longer produced. Migrating to a new one was gonna be a pain, a new investment, and this one does the job good for my needs. Thanks to the ones that contributed to this topic, you saved me :) I ordered 15pcs mosfet so in the future i know what to replace. hope for a long time service. cheers!
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-30 at 14.29.57.jpeg
NAS newbie , ts-531x
Tori
First post

Post by Tori »

Hello there ,

I have the same problem with a TVS 673, with random failure on bay 5 and 6 and of course, out of warranty.

· Does anyone have the Mosfet scheme so I can change it at my own risk?·
· Or the legs of the mosfet to be bypassed?

Many thanks in advance to all. This problem should not be solved by the users but by the manufacturer, but it is not their business.
Franna-ZA
New here

Post by Franna-ZA »

Have the same problem on my QNAP TVS-682 with HDD3 and HDD4 disconnecting randomly. Please help me find the MOSFETs that must be bypassed:

IMG_2884.JPEG
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG

Server name QNAP
Model name TVS-682
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU 3.70 GHz (2 cores, 4 threads)
BIOS version QX77AR31 (2017/09/18)

TVS-4282 BP V1.3
20Z04-A01105-YS-00-RS
QX77
acerimmer
New here

Post by acerimmer »

Hey all
i have a TS-EC1679U-RP, slot 7,8 and 14 don't detect drives has this happened to anyone else with this model?

running latest firmware
bruno@Landnet.ro
New here

Post by bruno@Landnet.ro »

Hi,

Have the same problem with an TS-431xeu. It worked fine from April till 2 weeks ago.
On 2nd Nov it suddenly lost disk 3 from RAID. I thought the drive failed so I was going to buy a new one. But first I plugged out the drive and reinsert it. Surprise: it rebuilt the RAID volume and worked fine until 4 Nov.
On 4 Nov a firmware update happened (Updated system from version 4.5.3.1652(20210428) to 4.5.4.1800(20210923)) and Disk 1 failed right after reboot! Same procedure (out and back in) solved the problem.
Today disk 3 failed again after rebooting from a firmware update (Updated system from version 4.5.4.1800(20210923) to 5.0.0.1850(20211111)).
NAS is still under warranty, so I'll send it to RMA.

Bruno
MooseyZone
New here

Post by MooseyZone »

bruno@Landnet.ro wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm Hi,

Have the same problem with an TS-431xeu. It worked fine from April till 2 weeks ago.
On 2nd Nov it suddenly lost disk 3 from RAID. I thought the drive failed so I was going to buy a new one. But first I plugged out the drive and reinsert it. Surprise: it rebuilt the RAID volume and worked fine until 4 Nov.
On 4 Nov a firmware update happened (Updated system from version 4.5.3.1652(20210428) to 4.5.4.1800(20210923)) and Disk 1 failed right after reboot! Same procedure (out and back in) solved the problem.
Today disk 3 failed again after rebooting from a firmware update (Updated system from version 4.5.4.1800(20210923) to 5.0.0.1850(20211111)).
NAS is still under warranty, so I'll send it to RMA.

Bruno
if you look a few posts up, will see my TS-451DeU-2G mainly having your exact problem,I found that the smart fan kept the whole unit fairly hot.
Check all the disk temperatures that they ure under 40c(this seems to be the cut-off point for disconnects) , These large disks have operating temps in 50c, which is fine for the disk but the NAS overheats.
Long story short.. I turned off smart fan, set manual speed at about 65% and disks are now 37 -39c and everything seems ok now.

IMO: poor design by Qnap, I am replacing this NAS with something that can handle large disks and heat, I think I will put some 4tb Reds in this 451 as they run under 30c, otherwise I will be buying fans every year.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”