"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
frankie191
First post

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by frankie191 »

kommisar wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:02 am
Triforcecwp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.
Hi,

Indeed there is a fix to the NAS HW which solves the root cause of the issue for good. You will void warranty and there is always a chance to damage your NAS. If you would like to do that anyway, provide your contact information I will sent you instructions (there is no PM on this forum )
Hi can you send me instructions how to fix it ? I have a QNAP 451 droping disk 3 and 4 thank you!
shumr2261
First post

Post by shumr2261 »

would be interested in the solution also..
riawie
New here

Post by riawie »

My Case as reported in viewtopic.php?p=712328#p712328 was finally resolved by Qnap.

to be fair, not all the Time which it lasts goes on to Qnaps Account.

12. April I opened a Ticket at helpdesk.qnap.com
12. April I also ordered a new identical NAS via Amazon
15. April (which was an Monday) Qnap Helpdesk responded and told me to better first contact my dealer or i have to pay for the ship in by myself
18. April the new ordered TS-1273U-RP arrived, and i replaced the defect one, but as it was about easter Holidays i deciedet that i would not take any further action befor Easter is over.
19. April an automatic helpdesk mail tolt me while absent that they close my Ticket if i would not reply until Sunday Morning
22. April i've seen that automatic mail and sent an mail back that this was not as intended and not helpful while official hollidays
23. April i goot an Answer and Message that the Case was reopened.
23. April i sent in the RMA form waiting for an RMA Number
24. April became the RMA Numberm, packed the NAS without drive Trays (as advised) and call UPS for a pickup
25. April UPS picked up the packet
29. April UPS delivered at Qnap Repair Center
08. May Qnap helpdesk asked me to made an vote how the service was, which i wold not do, as i heard nothing 7 working days since my RMA was delivered at repair Center
08. May i asked at helpdesk what is going on and when i become my NAS back
08. May helpdesk told me repair center has applied for a new unit as an replacement which should bei received in 1 to 2 weeks
15. May i finally received a brandnew Unit with complete accessories and drive trays
15. May I completed the customer satisfaction survey

So in total when i substract one week which goes on my account it lasts 3 and a half week until my cases was fully resolved.
That would have been mostly acceptable when there would have been some more transparancy what is going on at repair Center and if i had not to ask behind them when i would got my NAS back.

In total i can live with the outcome and have put the new NAS as an cold spare to storage space after doing a quick test that it is fine.

I will observe if the socond NAS at some point has the same Problem or if everything is o.k. with that.

But I i coldn't afford to guy me a second NAS it would be a really long time to wait for this solution and i am not sure If i not would have be fine with that...
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

frankie191 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 am
Triforcecwp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.
Hi,

Indeed there is a fix to the NAS HW which solves the root cause of the issue for good. You will void warranty and there is always a chance to damage your NAS. If you would like to do that anyway, provide your contact information I will sent you instructions (there is no PM on this forum )
Hi can you send me instructions how to fix it ? I have a QNAP 451 droping disk 3 and 4 thank you!
Hi, the fix in the subject is for x73 family of QNAP NASes. As far as I remember the issue on the x51 family can be fixed with FW update. Please read this thread from the beginning.
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

shumr2261 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am would be interested in the solution also..
The idea of the fix is to make power to the failing slots 3,4 etc. permanent by bypassing the power MOSFETs. See my original post for background info.
Triforcecwp
New here

Post by Triforcecwp »

Hi,

Thanks for the info sorry for my slow response Ive had some events in life come up.

My email is Kyle.Middleton@gmail.com

yeah I'm fine with working on the hardware took electrical engineering in college, i should be okay to do this.
beaverm
Starting out

Post by beaverm »

Can I get that hardware info too?

mark@beaverfamily.com

Thanks
rothman78
First post

Post by rothman78 »

kommisar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 am ...
It is possible to modify the control circuit to lock the high-power MOSFET in open state permanently and fix the issue for good. I will not provide exact instructions what to do to avoid unnecessary casualties. But if you have right set of skills, info above is more than enough to figure out offending part and right fix procedure.
Please e-mail me with details to: qnap at rothman.it

TS-563, running with no problems for 3,5 year. Then disk 4 and 5 went offline/online/rebuild array/offline/.... Then I pulled out disk 4, disk 5 get back online.
Even then, before investigating on forums I was quite sure something had to do with power supply and the back plane.

I order 2 new drives, replaced drive 4, now it offline all the time. Have not touched disk 5 yet. All is working fine, file share and my virtual machines, running array in RAID-6 was a good move.

Support ticket to QNAP resulted in
According to all the info you provided, unfortunately this NAS unit is having hardware issue.

Please backup the data, from NAS to another location as soon as possible.

The QNAP warranty is 2 years for this NAS unit.
Soo, if I can get this working again I will not use it a primary backup device.

/Rothman
ironpink
Starting out

Post by ironpink »

hi all
i'm from (sorry for my bad english)
i've 451A (4gb ram) bought on amazon. never changed ram or anything else.
one week ago i had same problem: disk 4 was disconnected. i tried to change the old hd with same HD (both Segate) and a NEW WD Purple. NO WAY.
disk 4 is still out of order.
this evening i opened a ticket to qunap.

but, beyond what they can answer me, does anyone fixed the problem?
if so, how?

tx
raffaele
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if it has still warranty have qnap fix it
ironpink
Starting out

Post by ironpink »

hi all
here's the reply from qnap helpdesk --> obviously, nothing happened
i've asked for further instructions (the NAS is in still under warranty - i've bought it 24 July 2017..... I think is 2 years, so I've still few days :) )

if anyone has any idea is welcome
tx
raffaele

Please run a file system check: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/a ... -not-clean; once done, re-update manually your NAS to the latest available QTS by downloading the Firmware image from our website and using the Web GUI or QFinder to install it: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... s-firmware, reboot the machine, update all your apps and install Malware Remover via AppCenter and try again.

If you still have issues after following my advice, could you please send us the NAS logs for analysis?

How to pull the logs:
Open the Main Menu and select the "Helpdesk" app (Or download via AppCenter)
Navigate to "Diagnostic Tool" in the left side menu
Select the "Download Logs" option and click on "Download". The log files will be downloaded as a ZIP file.

Important: Tell us the date/time of the latest incident, include screenshots, HDD brand/reference and any other relevant information regarding the problem for review.

Also, if the error appear with new HDD, we need you to connect that faulty disk to your PC and use the HDD manufacturer tool to run an EXTENDED test. After test is done, please provide copy/screenshot of the result for reference.
Finally, also provide copy of the NAS invoice for reference.

Regards,

Carlos Mejia
Technical Support Engineer
QNAP Systems, Inc.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ironpink wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am hi all
here's the reply from qnap helpdesk --> obviously, nothing happened
What do you mean? What did you expect? If it's really a hardware fault in the NAS (which can't be determined from the information you supplied), it can't be magically fixed remotely.

They ask you to do basic house keeping to get your NAS software to a known state and if the problem persist you're asked to supply them with some basic diagnostic data. They also ask for the invoice so the obvious next step if they find information indicating that it's actually a NAS fault, is that it will be replaced.

I think it's a great response from support for someone in your situation.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ironpink
Starting out

Post by ironpink »

why do you get mad on me? :'
i wrote "obviously, nothing happened" because i had some sense of discouragement / frustration.
in my (probably wrong) thought, if the NAS see the HDD, then it must work.... I thought it was some loop in the firmware or in the system... even if i tried 3 HDD (2 old and 1 new) and i had always the same issue.

anyway, till now the service is ok and i know that they're trying to solve my problem step by step (from basic to more sophisticated). the time for reply is good too. I was absolutely not criticizing customer service and I'm sorry if you understood otherwise.

i'll keep you update for furher news
raffaele
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ironpink wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm why do you get mad on me? :'
I'm not mad. I asked what your expectations were as I could see absolutely nothing wrong with the response you got.
in my (probably wrong) thought, if the NAS see the HDD, then it must work....
More than just seeing the disk is necessary so it's far more complicated than you think.

In most cases these error messages are because of faulty/incompatible disks. Some desktop disks (Seagate DL/DM Barracudas and WD Green in particular) are known to be incompatible and cause awful problems even before they break.

There have been problems with some faulty NAS backplanes though so it may also be a NAS hardware issue. If that's the case, the NAS will have to be returned to Qnap service Center for it to be fixed. Yes it's a pain when it happens but since your NAS is still within warranty, it should work out okay in the end.
I thought it was some loop in the firmware or in the system...
I'm pretty sure we can rule that out.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Can people stop adding to the thread and start new ones.
It is getting ridiculous that people are posting a mishmash of different issues here.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”