"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Trexx »

Neilo wrote:Hopefully, they respond to you TREXX. One person is already confirmed having to send their unit in twice for the same issue. I'm too worried about the reliability. Of course, i have backups in my strategy so I'm safe. Very frustrating when my older qnap I sold never had a single issue all the years and now only having the TVS-473 for six months and this happens. Yikes!

Runinng 4.3.4.0435 build 20171230
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having. I have previous had (2) 4-bay QNAP's and now have a 673 & 877 and never had any hardware issues with them.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
michael_canny
New here

Post by michael_canny »

In the interests of trying to see if there is a pattern I just wanted to add that I've lost another TVS-463 running 4.3.3.0262 build 20170727 today - that takes my total to seven of these units with this issue.
Trexx
Ask me anything

"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Trexx »

michael_canny wrote:In the interests of trying to see if there is a pattern I just wanted to add that I've lost another TVS-463 running 4.3.3.0262 build 20170727 today - that takes my total to seven of these units with this issue.

What make/model hdd’s are you running? Seems to be WD Reds are the most common that I have seen having the issue. I have always run HGST on mine (even my 4 bay models) and never had the issues described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Neilo
Getting the hang of things

Post by Neilo »

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with the HHD's models. I'm running the Seagate ironwofl's and have suffered the same issue.
michael_canny
New here

Re:

Post by michael_canny »

Trexx wrote:
michael_canny wrote:In the interests of trying to see if there is a pattern I just wanted to add that I've lost another TVS-463 running 4.3.3.0262 build 20170727 today - that takes my total to seven of these units with this issue.

What make/model hdd’s are you running? Seems to be WD Reds are the most common that I have seen having the issue. I have always run HGST on mine (even my 4 bay models) and never had the issues described.
It's WD Red Pro WD2001FFSX's across all of these units.
NASTom
New here

Post by NASTom »

Same issue here :(

TS-1231XU FW:4.3.4.0435
12x WDC WD6002FFWX 83.H0A83(WD Pro Red)

Drive 5, 6, 9, 10 unplugged if qnap has high IOPS.

Does a downgrade fix this issue ?
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I would call support and have them RMA the unit. I tried everything, reverting to older firmware, to resetting the Nas to default and the issue progressively got worse to the point were the bay wouldn't ever read the drive anymore. Save your self some time and frustration! Get in touch with Support. Be sure to back up.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I firmly believe the issue is related to firmware or a driver issue. But Qnap hasn't acknowledged this issue Publicly! There are many different NAS models being affected here. They told me its likely the Back Plane but will know more when they actually find it. They said they would advise me once the issue was resolved. When I see it I'll believe it. LOL.
NASTom
New here

Post by NASTom »

Thank you ! I create a Support Ticket...
AGTDenton
Starting out

Post by AGTDenton »

So glad this post exists and that I am not alone.
I would like to add to this list of "Disk Failed" & "Disk Unplugged" issues when there is nothing wrong with the disks at all, SMART checked on QNAP and another PC both come back fine.

Here are my Specs:

TVS-663
Firmware: 4.3.4.0435
DISK 1 = ST1000DM003 (Seagate)
DISK 2 = ST1000DM003 (*)
DISK 3 = ST1000DM003 (*)
DISK 4 = ST1000DM003 (*)
DISK 5 = HDN724030ALE640 (HGST)
DISK 6 = WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (WD)

Disk 1-4 is in RAID 10
Disk 5 & 6 are JBOD

Battery Backup = EATON Ellipse ECO 1200
External USB Drive = 2TB WD Red

So far this issue has happened twice in 2 weeks and only on the JBOD's thank god. We get errors on DISK 5 1st then DISK 6 joins in about 7 seconds later.
The previous firmware that it happened on was 4.3.3. Our original out of the box firmware, 4.2.2 did not have this issue for over a year. The reason we upgraded was because 4.2.2 could no longer get app updates so I upgraded and all the problems began.

When I upgraded to the latest firmware it automatically fixed DISK 6, and made DISK 5 readable again but is now stuck on 'Warning' without providing any information whatsoever.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ST..DM drives are notorious for that(and other) behaviour..so watch out.. they are not recommended in NAS applications (also see compatibility list)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@dolbyman,
I agree about the Seagate DM (when will people stop using those horrible desktop disks in NASes?) but in this case it was the HGST and the WD Red that dropped.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

P3R wrote:but in this case it was the HGST and the WD Red that dropped.
yeah I saw that .. quite a mix in that machine .. also is it a spanning jbod or just single drives? .. spanning jbod with dropping disks would make for quite some more trouble than just single drives failing
AGTDenton
Starting out

Post by AGTDenton »

dolbyman wrote:
P3R wrote:but in this case it was the HGST and the WD Red that dropped.
yeah I saw that .. quite a mix in that machine .. also is it a spanning jbod or just single drives? .. spanning jbod with dropping disks would make for quite some more trouble than just single drives failing
Just to clarify we are not having any problems with the Seagates.
We've had no trouble with the ST..DM disks but other Seagates we have in the past on a different storage solution, as they fail we will move to WD Reds.

The HGST & WD are not spanned.

Here is what we use it for: Day to day data sits on the RAID10, backups of the data are copied to the HGST 4TB, this allows us to get any accidentally deleted files, the backups are then copied to the external drive for off site in case of fire etc...

The WD drive is for other workstation backups.
boogie1313
New here

Post by boogie1313 »

1.5months after I reported i still battling issue with my qnap. long story begin

- sent in unit for RMA and back in 2 weeks (sent to TW). Apparently they changed the backplane but still experienced the HDD unplugged issue

- sent in unit for 3rd RMA and return in another 2 weeks. They told me they changed the motherboard but i can still login with my previous credentials and my previous raid configuration still exists so I am not sure what they changed. Disk4 unplugged issue resolved.
However, upon running the unit for 30 min rebuilding the RAID, it shut down by itself and cannot be boot up. LCD display showing "system booting >>>>> " error.
Thought it was my 16gb x 2 ram issue, i swap the original 4gb x 2 ram back. The same symptom occurred.

- Sent in unit for 4th RMA .. local support tested with no disk and was able to run for a few days.
HINTED to me that it was my HDDs issue OR issue with my house power supply... (i was wondering why my previous unit before RMA can ran 4 months without any power issue).
So i took back few days from local support and thought it may be my HDDs RAID issue which I did not redo after 3rd RMA.

Tested again at home.. managed to factory reset the unit and upon re-initializing the first round, it went off again. Took out all the HDDs and it cant boot up again with "system booting >>>>> " error on the LCD.

tested second day, let it run without HDDs.. it went off again and not able to boot up.

my original HDDs setup was Ironwolf 4TB x 4.
before 3rd RMA, I used a Seagate Barracuda 2TB, WD Red 3TB and another new 10TB HGST drive for testing

Seriously i am not sure if i can trust my data on this unit even if it works after RMA. Also I was in IT line for more than 15 years managing few hundreds of server/network equipment and i am pretty confident that this is the qnap unit issue.

Good luck to myself.. :roll:

boogie1313 wrote:RMA back 2 days ago, first rebuild took 5 hours and was successful. however this issue occurred again today .. qnap ticket raised.. qnap quality, i have nothing to say...

Host: Disk 4 Read I/O error, ILLEGAL REQUEST sense_key=0x5, asc=0x21, ascq=0x4, CDB=88 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 2d b0 00 00 00 08 00 00 .

boogie1313 wrote:Reporting my issue. I owned a TVS473-8G upgraded to 32GB with 4 Ironwolf 4TB in Raid 5 configuration. Latest firmware. I owned the NAS since Jul 2017

2 week ago, my slot 4 had the Disk Unplugged error. Performed a diagnostic using another computer which reported no issue.
Plug in again to rebulid, but failed. So I RMA the Disk. A week later, replacement disk back and still failed when I tried to rebuild it.
Just 2 days ago, i sent in the NAS for RMA. Forgot to check the forum for similar issue.

This was the 2nd time that i sent in my NAS for RMA for a short time of 4 months.. the 1st was due to eth4 issue.
I owned another synology NAS DS413 which i owned it for the last 5 years.. never sent in for RMA before.. sad..

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”