"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Stew683
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Stew683 »

You can blame it on a lot of things, but they all point back to the QNAP imo.
WD Red drives worked for 600 days and now only number 3 doesn't work. Complete scan using WD test confirmed 100% on the drive.
Happened continuously after firmware update.
I'm about ready to take my chances with an ebay backplane if I can find a compatible one. I had to take out my upgraded memory so I was about 85% there to replacing the backplane. Just another one of those email that ended with "I will be able to process your RMA".
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

QNAP has found the correct information and has issued my RMA. They say 7 day turnaround time once they receive it.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

my nas never returned (the failure might be with the reseller, not qnap, i dont know). i was given full credit for my nas and will buy a new one now. all good finally.
ojschmidt
First post

Post by ojschmidt »

Hi kommisar,
great analysis of the issue.
I have just the same problem with my TVS-463. After identifying the cause, it's perfectely operating with external power supply for slot 3 since 3-4 weeks now.
Unfortunately it is too old for RMA. Dealer says, it is not worth to repair it.
To be honest, I'm not familar with soldering.
Is there anyone in the south-bavarian area of Germany that could help here?
Regards, Oliver
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

Finally got the RMA and returned my NAS as directed. Turnaround time was 1 week as stated. So far unit has been running for 48 hours and no issues. The backplane board looks to be the same or is the same as the original, I don't know. It is still a version 1.0. Maybe they made a correction to it. I will have a closer look once I reinstall my upgraded memory.
Triforcecwp
New here

Post by Triforcecwp »

Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.
mike85
New here

Post by mike85 »

Stew683 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm You can blame it on a lot of things, but they all point back to the QNAP imo.
WD Red drives worked for 600 days and now only number 3 doesn't work. Complete scan using WD test confirmed 100% on the drive.
Same story from my side. Not good past to QNAP support - I noticed such once the problem ~2 years ago (just when I started to use TVS-873), and QNAP support blamed my HDD ("return it to vendor"). I removed this HDD it from NAS and the disk is still ok and I use it in desktop. But then it started to happen again (not too often, and RAID6 was giving feeling of "safety" - when disk was detached, it was reappeared again and in 1 day RAID was rebuilt).

But now I came to the forum because since 2-3 months (maybe because of recent updates of firmware) the hardware problem with slots causing much more troubles. From one side I'm happy with device (when it works). From another - I could not trust it at the moment (e.g. now I'm making additional backups of all things I have on the device, as out of 7 disks in RAID6, 2 are gone and NAS is not capable to accept them in slot #3 and #4 to rebuild RAID).

Waiting reply from QNAP to my ticket.
TVS-873, 8 x 4TB WD4002FYYZ [RAID6]
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

So I finally got around to reinstalling my memory upgrade. The NAS has run for 17 days with no issues. I would say that the problem has been resolved. The backplane is still v1.0 and I cannot see any modifications to the part. I am getting a message to update my firmware as it doesn't match the hard drive build. I really don't want to do this with the lastest firmware update as I no longer trust that the firmware didn't kill my NAS last time. I would like to update soemthing from this year just not the lastest (realeased 3/16/2019) until it has been tested rigourously among user. I do not know how to install an older update, but google and QNAP can help mew figure that out.

All and all the RMA process was pretty good, yes I did get upset and vented my fustrations, with the daily grind of conducting test to prove that I had an issue that wasn't caused by my drives or memory. The turn around time was exactly 7 days from the time they recieved the unit as they quoted.
stereotaipei
New here

Post by stereotaipei »

I have the same problem of HD 3 error on my TVS-473 (changed disk, etc). I have an old 8 disk Qnap NAS lying around. If I would put all 6 NAS disks into this old NAS, would it work or Raid 5 structure get lost in the transfer? sorry for the newbie question....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

how do you have 6 nas disks in your 473?

check then qnap migration guide to see if you can move the disks
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

Triforcecwp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.
Hi,

Indeed there is a fix to the NAS HW which solves the root cause of the issue for good. You will void warranty and there is always a chance to damage your NAS. If you would like to do that anyway, provide your contact information I will sent you instructions (there is no PM on this forum )
riawie
New here

Post by riawie »

I experience the same problem with Disk 1 on a TS-1273U-RP since about 15 hours and it happens almost hourly on an 6 Disk Raid 6 Pool :-(
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you make sure it's not the disk ? (swap the disk)
riawie
New here

Post by riawie »

yes

I just ordered a new TS-1273U-RP NAS, which will arrive on tuesday.
If it is here i will install ist, swap all disks and then RMA the faulty one.

I hope it will not affect other disks until then.

This one Disk i now just have physically unplugged.

unfortunately i can not afford to shut down the whole nas until the new one arrives, so i cross my fingers until then ;-)
thefan
Starting out

Post by thefan »

Hi people

Hope you can help me out, so i could get my data back. I think my tvs-873 may have the backplane issue. It started with disk 3, and 4 going simultaneously offline. I thought my disk 3 just errors because it gave me io error on disk 3 ONCE. Then i took out that disk, and my raid 6 array started to work again. Then i shut down the nas, and rebooted it a few days later. Then my disk 4 AND 5 stopped working. This is now fixed when i take out my disk4. However i could not get the raid array online again, and i believe i may have broken something myself, or hopefully not.

I was a bit stupid and used putty and logged in the raid, and typed /etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh and now even though md_checker says there are 2 raid arrays i cannot see volumes listed in storage and snapshots.

When i go to disks it shows them in raid groups, but storage/snapshots do not show i have any volumes.

md checker shows the two different md metadata raid volumes. How do i get these two raid volumes online? md checker shows they would be online, but they are not according to storage/snapshots. Actualyli dont think there was any volume created for raid1 group, but is there any command i could try and get the md1 online, that i had made a volume for? I believe i just messed things up with using that init command.

4.3.6.0875 is my version, and im running raid6 with 8hdd, but one errored about a month ago, and i took it out, so i can only handle one more drive malfunction.

RAID metadata found!
UUID: 70556b72:651a6d52:5b0c7484:a917ee9b
Level: raid1
Devices: 2
Name: md2
Chunk Size: -
md Version: 1.0
Creation Time: Dec 19 00:17:03 2017
===============================================================================
Disk | Device | # | Status | Last Update Time | Events | Array State
2 /dev/sda3 0 Active Apr 21 18:11:58 2019 318 AA
1 /dev/sdb3 1 Active Apr 21 18:11:58 2019 318 AA

RAID metadata found!
UUID: d947e897:121a50d5:9c74626c:6ca71ee8
Level: raid6
Devices: 8
Name: md1
Chunk Size: 512K
md Version: 1.0
Creation Time: Dec 18 22:55:51 2017
Disk | Device | # | Status | Last Update Time | Events | Array State
3 /dev/sdh3 0 Active Apr 21 15:58:12 2019 1263396 AA...AAA
4 /dev/sdg3 1 Active Apr 21 15:58:12 2019 1263396 AA...AAA
-------------- 2 Missing -------------------------------------------
-------------- 3 Missing -------------------------------------------
7 /dev/sdd3 4 Active Apr 21 15:54:37 2019 1263395 AA.AAAAA
8 /dev/sdc3 5 Active Apr 21 15:58:12 2019 1263396 AA...AAA
9 /dev/sdf3 6 Active Apr 21 15:58:12 2019 1263396 AA...AAA
10 /dev/sde3 7 Active Apr 21 15:58:12 2019 1263396 AA...AAA

I am currently in the process of running data life guard diag for one "faulty" wd red drive, and atleast the quick scan did not show it has any errors. Now i am running extended test. I believe the qnap unit is faulty not the disks, but how can i get the volume online so that i can backup my data?

Strangely enough, even the "faulty" drives if i just insert one drive to the nas work perfectly fine. I think there is some issues with the nas, but i also think i made the problem worse, because i still cannot view my volume and backup my data. Help would be much appreciated . Should have not run /etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”