"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Beddhist
Getting the hang of things

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Beddhist »

Postscript on my patched TS-431 units: one of them today spat out disk 3 & 4. This despite the bypassed chips. It all went downhill from there. Reboot brought the disks back with green status, but the array offline. Following the usual guides I managed to re-assemble the array, but it seems like the contents has been nuked.

These NAS are easily my worst ever IT purchase. To top it off, 4 of the 8 WD Red disks have already developed errors. All out of warranty now, of course.
maeffjus
Starting out

Post by maeffjus »

I don't give a ** now, my insurance paid for a new one and then I bought the same TVS-473e just with a total of 5 years of warranty :D
msuser92
New here

Post by msuser92 »

Before I read 10+ pages of this thread, does anyone know if this thread is applicable to a TS-251+, purchased 12-2017. This morning started with this
abnormal sector.JPG
. I rebooted the server and tried a rapid test of the hard drive and am now getting a complete read failure for the drive. I have read through some of this thread, but a lot of it is over my head (I'm not that techie). I may try and remove said drive and check it in an external enclosure. Drive is a Seagate Ironwolf 2 TB (x2 in the Qnap) with a DOM 11-2017, so I think it might be under warranty.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-251+
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

Unfortunately, the tooltip in your picture covers the actual values, so we can't infer anything from it. However, your symptoms seem to point to a dead drive. You are on the right track with your diagnostics. You should be able to download a program from Seagate's web site to help you with that.

Now a postscript for my own 2 x TS-431: one has been running without any problems since the 'repair' and with faulty drives to boot. The other (with 4 good drives) has just failed for the 2nd time and again the RAID array is left in an unusable state. Either my repair man has not soldered correctly, or there is sth. else going on in my NAS. QNAP are working on it. Last time it took them a week to re-assemble the array. (As a non-paying home user I am not complaining.)
msuser92
New here

Post by msuser92 »

I believe the value is/was 7 (if I'm understanding your post). I have since shut down the NAS so hopefully the second drive is OK with no data loss.

Matt
TS-251+
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you fear dataloss rethink/create a backup strategy...raid is not a backup
exilestrife
First post

Post by exilestrife »

Have the newer NAS's from QNAP released recently fixed/addressed the bad blackplane issues, or are they still happening with the latest models?

My TS-831x is slowly losing it's usable ports. One went earlier this year (port 1), and last night another just failed (port 6). I have six drives in mine so I'm down to not having any more room for failure. I'd love to get this problem addressed rather than just prolonger a little further.
msuser92
New here

Post by msuser92 »

Update from 10-29-2020

I pulled the drive and checked it with SeaTools and it came back as a bad drive, but also shows as under warranty. I read the last 10 or so pages of this thread and don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it was just the drive and not the backplane. This was from slot 1 which doesn't have the MOSFET. Time will tell. Bought another drive and installed it and the RAID rebuilt with no problems. Turned the fan to high from smart fan, and although it is a little louder I have a computer fan in the back of the cabinet beside this one that runs all the time and is just as loud.
dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 pm if you fear dataloss rethink/create a backup strategy...raid is not a backup
Thanks. I've had an external drive that I've been wanting to backup to and have never got around to it. I did go ahead and back up what would fit on the drive and when the warranty replacement comes, that drive will go in there.
TS-251+
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

Please see the following for my experience with a similar/same issue.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=157355

TLDR: Qnap repaired it (replaced the back-plane) under warranty.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
jackams9@aol.com
New here

Post by jackams9@aol.com »

So today my TVS463 had disk 4 drop out again after replacing the MOSFET back in August. It has run flawlessly since the previous repair. I replaced both MOSFET`s this time for bay 3 and 4, we are now all back up and running. Something I have noticed though, the drives go in to "sleep mode" about every 30 mins, and within 5 mins spin up again. I found under the general settings and the Hardware tab there is an HDD sleep setting - mine was set to 30 mins. I have now disabled this setting on the hunch that the constant drive sleeping and spinning up again potentially 44 times a day is maybe what is killing the MOSFETs. I’m going to see how this goes, if this still causes issues, then i have found some SOIC-8 break out PCBs and relocate the MOSFET`s on to the back panel facing the system fan with extension cables and some sort of heat sink to try and dissipate the heat better. Oddly my TS470Pro is running like a champ (touches every bit of wood i can find) about 6 years old and never missed a beat. 8)
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

Hi,

does anyone knows which exact backplane model fits into a TS-453A ? I have mine ejecting disks on bay 3 and 4. QNAP support says it's a backplane fault, but their prospect bill for a repair costs almost as much as buying a new one (given shipping and the reduced warranty to just 6 months on the repair, and given the NAS is already a few years old).

BR
Peppe
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

I think I found it out here: https://www.servethehome.com/qnap-turbo ... as-review/, it's a QX67.

It looks like a whole single piece for ... everything. How do you look for a used replacement (if it's easy enough with no electronics skills and tools like e.g. soldering) ?
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

A used part has the same design fault. I don't see any way around patching it, replacing the MOSFETs or getting a new one.
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

Beddhist wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 pm A used part has the same design fault. I don't see any way around patching it, replacing the MOSFETs or getting a new one.
Thanks for pointing it out, I understand the point. However, being unable to patch it, is there a way to get a new one other than sending the whole NAS in for repair (which would cost about 350 EUR) ?
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

I think you already have the answer from QNAP support. From what I have read they refuse to sell parts.

Why can you not patch it? I cant solder this small stuff, either, but I took a picture from these pages with me on my phone and an electronics tech in our small town soldered the jumpers on for me. Better still, somebody in an earlier post found a supply for the chips and replaced them. I would glue a small alu heat sink on and turn the fan speed up for good measure.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”