"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
shirec
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by shirec »

If anyone was following my thread..... I bought a completely new 8 bay NAS put all the drives in and it began working great again. Fast forward 1 or 2 weeks and bang 1 of 5 8TB Seagate Archive drives drop out. I contacted Seagate and managed to RMA the first drive. Before even receiving the RMA'd drive back a second hard drive dropped out. Raid 6 everything is still ok..... Until my partner is watching something on PLEX and it cuts out mid way through. I check the server and yep, 3 of 5 of my drives are now dusted. I contacted QNAP as surely this is not longer the drives. The chances of 2 failing at the same time would be crazy but 3.... QNAP service tell me to run a full diagnostic test of the hard drive using PC software and not the QNAP services. I use Seagate tools and run the Generic long test. 19 hours later it passes fine of course as all the other drives in the past have done. I want the server back up so I hot unplugged the drives and put 4 of the 5 drives back in. After a reboot everything is working fine. No resync probably because its still missing 1 of the 5 drives.

So now I have 2 full qnap 8 bay servers and 5 x 8tb Seagate archive drives. All failing.

The only possible thing I can assume at this stage is that it has to be QNAP software related. I will attempt to find some year old version of the QNAP software, put it in my old QNAP server once I resync the new drive and see if it ends up being a software thing.

pretty ridiculous how badly this thing is getting and its no doubt a common problem as there seems to be posts elsewhere about this. If I can get a refund I probably will and end up building a freenas server which I didn't want to do originally.

In a previous post I put ebay links to cheap parts to test if its the power issue as previously stated. Do the power test with the parts before considering any other attempts at anything else. Mine was not a power issue...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why are you running archive drives in a NAS?..completly wrong environment for them
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Brand new TS-453b with 4 new WD Red's. Everything runs fine until I upgrade to QTS 4.4.x firmware. From then on - I've had all kind of weird problems. Last now is that the NAS begins to reboot randomly. sometimes 3-4 times in a row, other times just once daily. At the end I run an 8 hour resynch followed by a full scrub and finally a file Check. All Pass. No log entries to examine. Nothing.
I'm still in the dark. Perhaps I should go back to 4.3 ?
ImageImageImage
Shmal
New here

Post by Shmal »

oyvindo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:13 am Brand new TS-453b with 4 new WD Red's. Everything runs fine until I upgrade to QTS 4.4.x firmware. From then on - I've had all kind of weird problems. Last now is that the NAS begins to reboot randomly. sometimes 3-4 times in a row, other times just once daily. At the end I run an 8 hour resynch followed by a full scrub and finally a file Check. All Pass. No log entries to examine. Nothing.
I'm still in the dark. Perhaps I should go back to 4.3 ?
You may want to create a new thread for this to attract more attention to it. Doesn't look related to the disconnect issue / hardware fix theme here. That being said, if rolling back to 4.3 fixes your issue, definitely submit it as a bug to QNAP support.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Shmal wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:32 pm You may want to create a new thread for this to attract more attention to it. Doesn't look related to the disconnect issue / hardware fix theme here. That being said, if rolling back to 4.3 fixes your issue, definitely submit it as a bug to QNAP support.
Yes, you're right. I posted here because I was mislead to think this perhaps was a Disk related issue. But it isn't. I reverted back to 4.3 and now everything runs just fine again.
ImageImageImage
rawbar
Starting out

Post by rawbar »

I have a TVS-463. About 9 months ago the drive in bay 3 "Error Message NAS HDD3 Ejected". Running 4x3TB WD Reds. Contacted both QNAP and WD. they pointed fingers at each other. I removed the drive from the QNAP and ran the WD diagnostics which passed fine, but I could not get the QNAP to accept the drive back. I bought a new 3TB WD Red and replaced it. The other 3TB drive replaced the drive in my wifes iMac when her drive died and the Mac has been running fine for 9 months.

Once replacing the drive on the QNAP, the new drive worked fine for 9 months until I got the same ejected message.

I opened a ticket with QNAP and sent the QNAP diagnostic info. At the same time I ordered a Seagate 8TB (I know only 3 will be available but over time I figured I'd upgrade the storage capacity). The QNAP accepted the Seagate, started a raid rebuild and after about 30 minutes it ejected the Seagate.

QNAP wants $350 to replace the backplane. I'm guessing with the same hardware rev that has the existing issue.

QNAP isn't being very smart about this, people that choose QNAP are usually tech professionals that are often recommending or purchasing products for friends and clients. They're going to create a whole lot of new Synology customers with their approach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rawbar
Starting out

Post by rawbar »

So far the taking off the cover and blowing a fan into it technique seems to be working. I don't have a steady enough hand to try to solder the mosfet. I always make a big blobby mess when I solder. I was shopping synologies last night but if the fan thing works, then I guess I'll stick with that. RAID array is currently rebuilding. Normally the bay 3 drive would have been ejected long ago.

Anybody offering a repair service if I send them the backplane to make this a more permanent solution?
rawbar
Starting out

Post by rawbar »

My array finished rebuilding with a fan blowing with the cover off. Been watching temps, bay 3 is much hotter than 1 & 2 with 4 being the coolest (but fan is also on that side). I ordered a pair of USB powered 60mm fans which look like they will fit nicely next to the power supply and also set the QNAP fan to manual-high. Hopefully this is enough to keep things running reliably, I don't trust this NAS at all any more but would prefer not to spend the $$$ this moment on another expensive one. I may take the 2x8TB drives I just ended up with and purchase a cheaper 2 bay synology to backup my backup (which is also being backed up to the cloud).
serpentello
First post

Post by serpentello »

Hi everybody!
I would like to thank everyone! Because of this forum I feel a bit less lost in this valley of tears.

My tvs-873 ran in the same problem.
I had an episode some month ago that was somehow solved taking out and back in the hard drives. But this time seems worst.
To recover the data I unmounted the nas and and following your advices I'm giving external power to the Hard Drives and everything is working now. Thank you!!!
I sent the log to Qnap Support and they confirmed it's a backplane issue and they ask 590$ to repair (or replace, who knows?!?) the nas. A bit too much.
So I ordered 6 new mosfets and I'll try to replace them in a laboratory. If that will not work I'll try to bypass them.

My question is.
What functions I will loose bypassing them?
If they are there they must have a function I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdaxiom
New here

Post by amdaxiom »

Thanks for all the info on this topic and it is quite unfortunate that the NAS devices are failing. My specific model is the 5 bay TS-563 and on my device drive bay 4 has the problem. At first I noticed the drive drop out and come back and the array rebuilt with no issues. Lasted about a week before it happened again. I just assumed the drive failed and got a new drive ordered. By the time I got the new drive the drive was failing in less time than it takes to rebuild so the rebuild would never finish. With the new drive I thought everything would be okay and then it also failed. I finally tested out both drives with no issues and then did some searching to find this is a common issue on some QNAP models (unfortunately).

Just submitted a help desk request, will see what happens and what the cost is.
rawbar
Starting out

Post by rawbar »

Ok so it looks like keeping things cool is the key at least for mine. I have had no issues at all since blowing a fan at it. Past 2 days I've added a single USB powered pair of 60mm fans (purchased on Amazon) which i placed blowing down toward the drives (they fit nicely just resting on top) and routed the USB cable out the back and around to the front USB port. I have not seen any of the 4 drives get above 87F. I've set the fan on the QNAP permanently at medium speed (I posted I had it at high before but it was too loud). I've rebuilt the array twice (1st with the 8TB drive, then decided it was pointless since I don't trust this thing, I will never be expanding it, then with the 3TB that was in there originally) without issue. I'll buy a 2 bay synology for the extra 2x8TB drives I now have to back up the QNAP.

cugg39
New here

Post by cugg39 »

Hi,

I have a dead TVS-473 for more than a year because of that Disk 4 unplugged.
Could someone (kommisar ?) send me the solution of kommisar to this address: tdb_squall@yahoo.fr ?

Kind regards,
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

solution is a few pages back .. no need for email
chripopper
New here

Post by chripopper »

Hello! I have had similar problems with my ts-451+, its 3 years old so i had no warranty...

It would not detect disks in bay 3 and 4, after a reboot one of them failed and soon the other.
I suspected a power supply issue as the disks would not spin up. Primarly in the sata backplane circuit board.

I found this thread but no backplane was similar to mine QW42 sata backplane.

However i disassembled my nas and looked closely at the sata backplane and found two separate mosfets that i thought would supply slot 3 and 4 with 12v and 5v. These where my primary suspects for the disk loss.

I noticed that there were solder joints just above and below the mosfets, and tracked the circuits on the board and did some measuring. And with my limited knowledge in electronics my conclusion was that connecting these solder joints would bypass the mosfets, feeding the disks constantly with 12 and 5v.

So i just soldered them together and the disks were fully functional again!
Attached is a photo where i did the soldering. IIRC the upper circles is 12v and the lower ones is 5v.

I just wanted to throw it out here, if it can help somebody else please let me know!
Of course this is at your own risk and only as a last resort. Always consider RMA in first hand.

By the way this is my last qnap device ever. I really liked it until this happened and i noticed how common this problem was over various model ranges. I think the sata controller board would be the the part thats least prone to failiure.
Shmal
New here

Post by Shmal »

chripopper wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am I noticed that there were solder joints just above and below the mosfets, and tracked the circuits on the board and did some measuring. And with my limited knowledge in electronics my conclusion was that connecting these solder joints would bypass the mosfets, feeding the disks constantly with 12 and 5v.

So i just soldered them together and the disks were fully functional again!
Attached is a photo where i did the soldering. IIRC the upper circles is 12v and the lower ones is 5v.
Thanks for sharing the solution for your board, nice job diagnosing it! Based on the picture it looks like the points you found were a resistor in parallel with the mosfet (I think the label is R##?). End result would be the same, bypassing the mosfet.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”