"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by sirivanhoe »

It's just not my thing, I should search for someone experienced as you did in the town (not where I live). If there's no other way around, I'll try to read deeper the process before and see if it's something I can show and/or explain.
Beddhist
Getting the hang of things

Post by Beddhist »

I don't know whether your particular model has already been referenced in this topic. If not, finding out which components are faulty will be the hard part. But again, a TV repairer will probably know which component is which just by looking at them. The rest is really simple, if delicate due to the small size.
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

Hansaplastique wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:01 pm My TVS-873 (bought in 2017) finally gave up completely on bays 3, 4, and 5.
After some back and forth haggling with QNAP support, my NAS now is at QNAP for repair ($590).
Even though QNAP claims that this is not a "known issue", they do have a test procedure.
Support stated that there isa 90% chance they'd send me a new one.
Hi, just wondering if they were referring to a new backplane or a new NAS. Did you eventually find out ?
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

Celser wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:17 am So which MOFSET do I need to jumper?, Nothing on back.
Hi Celser, did you eventually find out ?
Hansaplastique

Post by Hansaplastique »

sirivanhoe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:11 am
Hansaplastique wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:01 pm My TVS-873 (bought in 2017) finally gave up completely on bays 3, 4, and 5.
After some back and forth haggling with QNAP support, my NAS now is at QNAP for repair ($590).
Hi, just wondering if they were referring to a new backplane or a new NAS. Did you eventually find out ?
They did not specify. When I asked, they said they'd try to fix the issue or replace the unit in case they could not fix it. The support guy right away admitted that the chance was pretty good that I'd receive a new unit, considering the issue. So in the end I got a new unit (a newer version of the model I used to have) - it is much more quiet and stays a lot cooler than my previous TVS-873, so I'm happy with it. Since the newer model did not have a USB3 PCI card, they even mailed me a separate card (after asking about it).

Note: When asking for just the backplane they told me the didn't sell them separate. I checked with several outfits and they all gave me the same answer.
NAS: QNAP TVS-873, TS-869 Pro
QNAP Guides: English: QNAP articles at Tweaking4All, Nederlands: QNAP artikelen op Tweaking4All
xtreme
Starting out

Post by xtreme »

I think some of you have been lucky to get theirs replaced by QNAP. They asked me for 360 USD (plus I would need to pay extra 134 USD to get the QNAP shipped from my local post office). Cound't do that and QNAP refused to replace just the backplane.

Mine has been running smoothly for months with external PSU.
I will proceed to change the MOSFETS and build a better cooling solution.
Beddhist

Post by Beddhist »

Even setting the fan speed to medium helped on mine. That, perhaps new chips and some small heatsinks glued to them may be all that is needed. For my two I just got the chips bridged. One has been running flawlessly, the other kept losing 2 disks from time to time, nuking the RAID array every time. QNAP got me to swap the two units around and they have been stable ever since.

It's good to read that there are now newer versions of some units, so perhaps they have finally squashed those bugs. Doesn't help us folks out of warranty much. Another thing is, the whole story has made me very suspicious of mdraid, seeing I kept losing my array, even if only one drive had "failed".
sirivanhoe
Starting out

Post by sirivanhoe »

Did anyone manage to find the culprit MOSFET and patched it (either by shorting or replacing it) in a TS-x53A series ? I perhaps found someone who's not so much akin to this kind of jobs, but perhaps guided someway it might work out.
s22101
First post

Post by s22101 »

I have a TS-873 with defective MOSFET. But when i replace the MOSFET, it probably gets defective soon, because its driven out of specification? Is there a chance to replace with another MOSFET that won´t get defective?
bialejac
First post

Post by bialejac »

I had the same problems with my TS251. I started cleaning the SATA contacts, soldering the connector for fear of cold solders. I am an electronics technician, but I could break something ... Of course, the website found that the logs show a sata connector error ($$$) :) After reading the entire thread, I switched back to the firmware from 2019. The server has been working flawlessly for several days ... Welcome to the club of fraudulent companies. QNAP exposed me to data loss, unnecessary stress, the possibility of breaking the equipment myself and an attempt to extort money for the service.
greetings
Metria

Post by Metria »

Can anyone tell me the mosfit layout of a TS-563 I have a raid 5 on disks 3, 4, and 5. Drive 4 randomly drops out. Swapping drives makes no difference. convinced it's the mosfet issue. I am willing to just abandon a few slots, as this project is near it's end of life. I would to know which slots are controlled by which mosfits? I will rebuild the raid by moving the drives one by one, to working slots, but I would like to know which drives in the unit use the same mosfet so I can use it? Or are 3,4, & 5 all tied to the same mosfet, and do I need to go to raid 2 on drive 1 & 2 only? Any insight would be appreciated! (I really do not want to tear apart the nas to find out).
klabant
New here

Post by klabant »

My broken NAS is a TS-869 Pro. It worked well for years but last month the leftmost four slots suddenly went offline. The drives still got power and spun up but no green LED lighted up and of cause the drive wasn't recognized by the NAS. I found this thread and was very happy to read something about the 1.0V core supply for the Marvell controllers. There are four of them, every controller powers two SATA slots and eaych of them generates its own 1.0V supply by using the NPN transistor. Checking the related transistors revealed they didn't do anything. So I replaced them and the former broken slots now work flawlessly. Unfortunately the four slots to the right stopped working. I checked voltages of the two remaining transistors and was a bit astonished as there is a dropdown from 1.74V at the left to 1.59V at the right. I thought this should not happen and managed to find the 1.8V power supply at the lower right side of the picture. After having routed 1.8V to the transistor the green LED for the disk is back but still they are not recognized by the NAS.

I checked PCI devices by issuing a lspci command and wondered because only two Marvells (ID 1b4b:9125) were displayed. I know there is a PCI switch on the backplane, it's the chip on the left side of the image, but I think it should not hide the SATA controllers. May anyone post the output of lspci on a working TS-869 Pro please? Any ideas?

Btw. are these backplanes interchangeable between different systems?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
numeron7
New here

Post by numeron7 »

I have a TS-831X-8G 8-bay model and its motherboard seems to fail.

Issue: 5th and 6th bay HDD gets disconnected from time to time when all 8 disks are in a RAID, which leads to an often need of synchronization. It works fine as JBOD or if RAID does not include 5th and 6th bay, but still requires restarting or reinserting 5th and 6th bay from time to time to read from them again. If used without 5th and 6th bay, it works just fine, and all the other hardware and software functions properly. It's out of warranty now.

My question is, what motherboard does this model use and where and at what price can I get one? I am from Croatia.

Also, if repairing this is out of the question because of expensive repairs, how much would you value it as is or for parts? It's around 3 years old, out of warranty, and original price was $1200 or 1000 €. Conditioned very well because of OCD.
numeron7
New here

Post by numeron7 »

EasyGo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 am I guess time will tell if it holds up. If any more channels fail, I will likely first verify that the supply voltage is stable and sufficient, and if so, replace the MOSFETs.
Does your TS-831X still work after the MOSFET jumpers?

Ours is failing on Bay 5 and 6.
Last edited by numeron7 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metria

Post by Metria »

My TS-563 I metioned previously, I moved the 3 Drive Raid 5 to slots 1,2, and 3. Moved the ssd cache to drive 4 (read only), and an extra junk storage drive to Disk 5. Not one single disconnect since?

Updated. Slots 4&5 failed again, just took longer with ssd in the slot 4. But 1 through 3 work fine ever since. Just 96'd those slots until I have enough downtime to pull it apart. Since QNAP knows about this, (and they do) I asked. They should offer some sort of motherboard exchange at a much reduced price. It seems to be rampant in all models after time?
Last edited by Metria on Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”