"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
kommisar
Starting out

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by kommisar »

OneCD wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 am Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
kommisar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 am For some reason control circuit disables high-power MOSFET for a moment and it starts chain of event leading to the disk to be unplugged. Sudden loss of the power also makes HDD to produces loud "click" mentioned earlier in this thread.
Good find!
kommisar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 amTo summarize, the issue is HW related. At this stage there is no SW/FW fix.
Will this require QNAP to replace the affected board with a newer version?

I own one of the older versions of QNAP NAS for many-many years and to have the new and expensive one failed so quickly teased my curiosity. Results are above:)

My NAS backplane revision is 1.4. I know there is at least one updated version 1.5. But I I don't know is it affected by the issue or not. Probably someone with NAS fixed by QNAP can post his backplane revision. It is visible with disks removed in left bottom corner of the bay.
ey96
New here

Post by ey96 »

Hi Kommisar,

I got exactly the same issue on Disk 3. It was operating fine for 1+ year and then boom, it happens. Changed new disks, same phenomenon. It's been degraded for the last 6 months or so. I've decided to do a hardware modification on the backplane of my TVS-473 as it is difficult for me to send RMA all the way to QNAP as I am overseas. Can you email me the methods to tonyycng@gmail.com ? I will take my own responsibility.

Rgds.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

i am waiting for 7 weeks now for Qnap to send back my TVS-673 (backplane error, slot 3). 7 WEEKS!!!! i am starting to get angry.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 pm i am waiting for 7 weeks now for Qnap to send back my TVS-673 (backplane error, slot 3). 7 WEEKS!!!! i am starting to get angry.

I would call them and tell them about your frustration. Seven weeks seems excessive and maybe having to face you on the phone will spur some action on their part. Assuming you arranged the RMA with QNAP directly and not a reseller, then you're in for whatever their policy is.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:44 am
Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 pm i am waiting for 7 weeks now for Qnap to send back my TVS-673 (backplane error, slot 3). 7 WEEKS!!!! i am starting to get angry.

I would call them and tell them about your frustration. Seven weeks seems excessive and maybe having to face you on the phone will spur some action on their part. Assuming you arranged the RMA with QNAP directly and not a reseller, then you're in for whatever their policy is.
i (had to) arrange RMA with the reseller, that is what Qnap told me, so i did. i brought my Qnap back to the reseller and the reseller sent it to qnap the very next day. since then, nothing. that is what i call customer care for a 1400$ device.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Flotsch123 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:31 pm i (had to) arrange RMA with the reseller, that is what Qnap told me, so i did.
Yes that's how it work in Europe for most (if not all?) products, the resellers are responsible for warranties.

The advantage is that the customer don't have to pay for the normally more expensive overseas shipping to the manufacturer, the disadvantage is that it mean another layer complicating the communication. :cry:

It doesn't help but at least you have my sympathy...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

ey96 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm Hi Kommisar,

I got exactly the same issue on Disk 3. It was operating fine for 1+ year and then boom, it happens. Changed new disks, same phenomenon. It's been degraded for the last 6 months or so. I've decided to do a hardware modification on the backplane of my TVS-473 as it is difficult for me to send RMA all the way to QNAP as I am overseas. Can you email me the methods to tonyycng@gmail.com ? I will take my own responsibility.

Rgds.
Hi,

Just to be sure my recipe will help you, can you please follow "external PSU" procedure described in my original post?
If yor slot 3 back to life, it means the issue is the backplane failure related to SATA power. Let me know and I will provide the fix description.

Again, because the fix is HW change to the QNAP device, I urge you to consider other options! You need to have some skills to do that.
Last edited by kommisar on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ey96
New here

Post by ey96 »

Hi,

I've got the skills to do the necessary soldering, etc. Not worried bout it, and I'm ready to fix the hardware. No other choices. I've tried to downgrade my firmware back to last year's but nothing works. Changed hard disk too. So, it has to be back plane. Thinking of upgrading to TS-877 but before that I'm going to try this hardware fix and then use this for storage only.

Rgds.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

waiting now 8 weeks for RMA my tvs-673 with backplane error. 8 WEEKS!!!
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm waiting now 8 weeks for RMA my tvs-673 with backplane error. 8 WEEKS!!!

I guess on the plus side these eight weeks are giving you plenty of time to post about it in multiple threads.

(one thread is plenty)
compusger
Starting out

Post by compusger »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:14 pm
Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm waiting now 8 weeks for RMA my tvs-673 with backplane error. 8 WEEKS!!!

I guess on the plus side these eight weeks are giving you plenty of time to post about it in multiple threads.

(one thread is plenty)
Well, what is your problem with that ?
I think its a valid point that those long RMA turnarounds are simply unacceptable !
And it might give other, potential buyers a valid headsup of what might come up in the future...
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

compusger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 am Well, what is your problem with that ?
I think its a valid point that those long RMA turnarounds are simply unacceptable !
And it might give other, potential buyers a valid headsup of what might come up in the future...

I guess it's just general forum etiquette not to spam multiple threads with the same information.

As to helping other users, all we know is that an RMA through his reseller (did he say who it was?) in his country can take a long time. We have no idea how long QNAP has had it (versus sitting with the reseller or riding on a ship across an ocean or sitting in a warehouse waiting to for a truck to pick it up etc...) or if the length of time they had it is typical given they had availability issues for that line of products to begin with.

I have no problem with him providing all those data and more but spamming it in multiple threads just isn't necessary.
compusger
Starting out

Post by compusger »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am
compusger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 am Well, what is your problem with that ?

I guess it's just general forum etiquette not to spam multiple threads with the same information.

As to helping other users, all we know is that an RMA through his reseller (did he say who it was?) in his country can take a long time. We have no idea how long QNAP has had it (versus sitting with the reseller or riding on a ship across an ocean or sitting in a warehouse waiting to for a truck to pick it up etc...) or if the length of time they had it is typical given they had availability issues for that line of products to begin with.

I have no problem with him providing all those data and more but spamming it in multiple threads just isn't necessary.
Well, i didnt check if there have been multiple threads, thats soemthing diferent yes.
But hey, why so protective against QNAP "Thisisnotmyname" ? :-)
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Definitely not protective, you can check out the various issues I've had in my post history :-) I've only had a QNAP device for a couple months. I've been generally happy with it but it definitely has its faults. They're not my favorite storage vendor by a long shot though.

That said, I still think it's silly when anyone believes ANY technology should be flawless and wants to blame all the ills of the world on the company that makes it. i.e., a hardware company using largely open source software getting attacked by bad actors with malware and "OMG!! Do something QNAP!!" lol

In this situation is ** that a hardware component failed and has to be RMAed. I don't think we can automatically judge QNAP on this lengthy RMA period though given the author is going through a third party to process the RMA. We don't know how long QNAP has actually had it in their possession and - at least with this issue - there could be supply chain constraints to them in receiving a replacement component (making this abnormal and understandable). I've dealt direct with QNAP in USA to get some minor replacement parts and they drop shipped them the next day so I know this isn't a universal case of QNAP RMA department being unresponsive. Anyway, if there are multitudes of people dealing with lengthy return periods I'd like to know that, even this guys situation being a one off (that we know of) it's data and I'm not against it in any way, my complaint was that he cross posted.
elite76
New here

Post by elite76 »

Goddamit I just got this with my TVS-873. Disks 6-8 all report 'disk unplugged' errors, despite brand new disks.

My nas is 1 month out of warranty.

I've sent in a support ticket but won't hold my breath.

FML

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”