"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rejojo
First post

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by rejojo »

I have exact the same issue as redboot except that, i have the issue with disk 4.
Furthermore i also have the QNAP TVS-473
redboot
Starting out

Post by redboot »

Rejojo,
I would suggest you use the Helpdesk app (assuming your QNAP GUI is still available; install the App if you don't have it) and submit a clear description. What I posted here, I posted to the Helpdesk. They responded within 24 hours. They had me run a disk test (required downloading a Western Digital tool and using a USB disk reader) to prove it wasn't the disk and then sent it via RMA. The language THEY put on my RMA was:
Bay 3 keeps
ejecting drives / If issue is not reproduceable, please replace MB, BP and PSU.
My UPS ground shipping cost $53.95. They received it Monday (4 days ago and 7 days after their first email response) and I've not heard back on any progress.
And cross your fingers. Mine still are.
bax2003
New here

Post by bax2003 »

QNAP TS-431 (4.3.3.0262), disk 3 failed and uplugged ?!! - repalced with brand new unpacked spare drive, which also failed after few hours.
Both drives are 100% healthy. I just lost two days rebuilding and torturing the drives.
Bravo for QNAP !
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

bax2003 wrote:I just lost two days rebuilding and torturing the drives.
Having disks spin, store and retrieve data isn't torture, it's exactly what disks are designed to do.

But I understand your frustration so please contact Qnap support and let them investigate the issue to see if the NAS is faulty.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bax2003
New here

Post by bax2003 »

P3R wrote:
bax2003 wrote:I just lost two days rebuilding and torturing the drives.
Having disks spin, store and retrieve data isn't torture, it's exactly what disks are designed to do.

But I understand your frustration so please contact Qnap support and let them investigate the issue to see if the NAS is faulty.
Torture is unnecessary rebuild (two times) of 3TB data on RAID5 array in middle of night when NAS is usually idling. Please don´t tell me that 12 hours RAID rebuild is actually equals normal usage of mostly reading data.

Of course I submitted a ticket after realizing that both of my "failed" drives are fine.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

bax2003 wrote:Please don´t tell me that 12 hours RAID rebuild is actually equals normal usage of mostly reading data.
It's one write on each replaced disk and read only twice on the other disks. It's not normal usage but by far not any torture either. More importantly, it won't kill your disks.
Of course I submitted a ticket after realizing that both of my "failed" drives are fine.
You're welcome!

We look forward to your valuable contributions to this user community in the future.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bax2003
New here

Post by bax2003 »

P3R wrote:
bax2003 wrote:Please don´t tell me that 12 hours RAID rebuild is actually equals normal usage of mostly reading data.
It's one write on each replaced disk and read only twice on the other disks. It's not normal usage but by far not any torture either. More importantly, it won't kill your disks.
You're welcome!

We look forward to your valuable contributions to this user community in the future.
Oh sure, it won´t kill them right away but it sure will shorten their lives. Not to mention that - disks are totally fine but QNAP NAS renders them useless and initiate 12h rebuild:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UOeC ... sp=sharing
(Exaclty the same errors for new and used drive)
whoslistening
New here

Post by whoslistening »

I have the same issue.

TS-451
WD Red 3 TB x 4
Firmware: 4.3.3.0262 Build 20170727

In my case, it's Bay 4 that is showing this issue. SMART is completely normal, tested on another machine as well. I took the disk out and reinserted it, and it popped back up as normal and started rebuilding the array. It failed again about halfway in, with the same "disk unplugged" error.

I bought the NAS in 2014, so it's definitely out of warranty, so I haven't filed a ticket with QNAP Support - not sure if I want to spend money on repairing this. I assume that QNAP will charge me for any repairs (maybe I'm wrong here, and I will eventually open a ticket if nothing works for me).

I unplugged the drive and waited a day, and have just reinserted it - the rebuild process has started.

If my rebuild fails again, I'm going to try the following things

1. Downgrade the firmware
2. Blow away the volume and recreate it

I'm not too worried about the data since I have full backups both locally and offsite, but I hope that this is a software issue related to the firmware. If it's a hardware issue.. well, then I'll probably have to buy another NAS unless QNAP extends the warranty or something.

I'll post back with updates.
antoniovm
New here

Post by antoniovm »

I have the same issue.

I have the same problem.

TS-563 (5 bays)
WD Red 2TB x 5 (Raid5)
Firmware: 4.2.2 Build 20160823

In my case the problem occurs on disks 4 and 5 (SPARE).
SMART is normal.
I replaced the 2 discs with new ones, but the problem reappears right away.

NAS is 2016 and it's really strange this thing!
I opened a tiket, let's see what they say by the assistance.

On identical machine with Firmaware 4.2.1 does not happen (fortunately!)
antoniovm
New here

Post by antoniovm »

I figured that updating the firmware (as recommended by the qnap technical support) could solve, but now reading the 'whoslistening' post I'm afraid the problem has not yet been solved by this latest version of the firmware.

Anyone can give me some suggestion?
whoslistening
New here

Post by whoslistening »

Update - the RAID rebuild worked and the array is healthy again. The drives aren't showing any SMART errors. I checked the volume through storage manager and the check completed successfully as well. Everything seems to be working now. I have no idea why this happened and why it apparently fixed itself. I hope it doesn't happen again.
tvbcrsa
New here

Post by tvbcrsa »

Same thing here. TVS-473, firmware 4.3.3.0262. Drive #3 randomly failed then unplugged.

Tried two brand new drives from two different vendors (WD & Seagate; both drive models on the compatability list) and both failed within and hour of starting the RAID rebuild. No SMART errors on the original drive or either of the two brand new ones but lots of `ata.*` errors in syslog.

Ticket filed will report back. Has anyone else who has filed a ticket found a resolution?
tvbcrsa
New here

Post by tvbcrsa »

Update: QNAP had me run one single test (try a good known drive from another bay in bay #3 -- which also failed) and RMA'd it almost immediately.
limbo0311
First post

Post by limbo0311 »

I have the same issue.

I have a TVS-473 with firmware version 4.3.3.0262 Build 20170727. I have 4x6TB Seagate Ironwolf drives. Drive 3 showed a failure and ejection. I have tried removing the drive and reinserting it, but the same problem occurred. I thought it was an issue with the drive and replaced the drive with a new 6TB Seagate Ironwolf drive. Using the new drive, the problem persists.

I really hope this is just a firmware issue. I am not looking forward to RMA'ing this....

A ticket has been submitted.
tvbcrsa
New here

Post by tvbcrsa »

Spoke to a rep today that said they've personally handled four failures like this just this week on top of mine. I think it's official this is "a thing" now.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”