"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Stew683
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Stew683 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:48 am

I don't remember what mine came with, I think it was 2GB. I upgraded to 8GB using two 4GB modules. At first I bought whatever was cheapest, that didn't work out so well. So I ended up getting whatever manufacture was the original, I think it was ADATA. The system ran fine for over 500 days.
Going back through this thread it's hard to believe possible backplane failure, given my symptoms, but QNAP is ready for me to send it in as soon as I verify it's not a memory issue.
#1. I'm using WD Reds.
#2. Although it had a hiccup on old firmware which lead me to upgrade firmware, it started doing it daily after upgrading firmware.

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 am

Replaced original memory, didn't even make it an hour into the rebuild. Wondering if QNAP is going to have me run some other test before allowing me to return it. I have version 1.0 backplane, wish I knew if I could just buy a newer version of this part. From comments on here doesn't sound like sending it off is going to be a pleasant experience.

elite76
New here

Post by elite76 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 am

Credit to QNAP. Despite being (just) out of warranty, I submitted my logs as per the ticket request, and was granted a replacement unit.

The TVS-873 is end of life, so they gave me a TVS-873E instead, with extra memory.

Cant complain!

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Credit to QNAP, I still haven't gotten a RMA. I feel like I'm being strung along. Every emails ends with "if you can do this I will be able to process your RMA". The latest is "Could you double check the serial number you've provided? I think you're made a typo. I should be able to process this for RMA repair once I check the warranty status.". I feel like I'm so close, funny thing is I submitted the ticket and all the information that the unit provided them electronically. I never sent them a serial number. BTW...the serial number they sent me.....is the one on my machine.

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm

You can blame it on a lot of things, but they all point back to the QNAP imo.
WD Red drives worked for 600 days and now only number 3 doesn't work. Complete scan using WD test confirmed 100% on the drive.
Happened continuously after firmware update.
I'm about ready to take my chances with an ebay backplane if I can find a compatible one. I had to take out my upgraded memory so I was about 85% there to replacing the backplane. Just another one of those email that ended with "I will be able to process your RMA".

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 am

QNAP has found the correct information and has issued my RMA. They say 7 day turnaround time once they receive it.

Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:21 pm

my nas never returned (the failure might be with the reseller, not qnap, i dont know). i was given full credit for my nas and will buy a new one now. all good finally.

ojschmidt
First post

Post by ojschmidt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi kommisar,
great analysis of the issue.
I have just the same problem with my TVS-463. After identifying the cause, it's perfectely operating with external power supply for slot 3 since 3-4 weeks now.
Unfortunately it is too old for RMA. Dealer says, it is not worth to repair it.
To be honest, I'm not familar with soldering.
Is there anyone in the south-bavarian area of Germany that could help here?
Regards, Oliver

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 am

Finally got the RMA and returned my NAS as directed. Turnaround time was 1 week as stated. So far unit has been running for 48 hours and no issues. The backplane board looks to be the same or is the same as the original, I don't know. It is still a version 1.0. Maybe they made a correction to it. I will have a closer look once I reinstall my upgraded memory.

Triforcecwp
New here

Post by Triforcecwp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am

Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.

mike85
New here

Post by mike85 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Stew683 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm
You can blame it on a lot of things, but they all point back to the QNAP imo.
WD Red drives worked for 600 days and now only number 3 doesn't work. Complete scan using WD test confirmed 100% on the drive.
Same story from my side. Not good past to QNAP support - I noticed such once the problem ~2 years ago (just when I started to use TVS-873), and QNAP support blamed my HDD ("return it to vendor"). I removed this HDD it from NAS and the disk is still ok and I use it in desktop. But then it started to happen again (not too often, and RAID6 was giving feeling of "safety" - when disk was detached, it was reappeared again and in 1 day RAID was rebuilt).

But now I came to the forum because since 2-3 months (maybe because of recent updates of firmware) the hardware problem with slots causing much more troubles. From one side I'm happy with device (when it works). From another - I could not trust it at the moment (e.g. now I'm making additional backups of all things I have on the device, as out of 7 disks in RAID6, 2 are gone and NAS is not capable to accept them in slot #3 and #4 to rebuild RAID).

Waiting reply from QNAP to my ticket.
TVS-873, 8 x 4TB WD4002FYYZ [RAID6]

Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 am

So I finally got around to reinstalling my memory upgrade. The NAS has run for 17 days with no issues. I would say that the problem has been resolved. The backplane is still v1.0 and I cannot see any modifications to the part. I am getting a message to update my firmware as it doesn't match the hard drive build. I really don't want to do this with the lastest firmware update as I no longer trust that the firmware didn't kill my NAS last time. I would like to update soemthing from this year just not the lastest (realeased 3/16/2019) until it has been tested rigourously among user. I do not know how to install an older update, but google and QNAP can help mew figure that out.

All and all the RMA process was pretty good, yes I did get upset and vented my fustrations, with the daily grind of conducting test to prove that I had an issue that wasn't caused by my drives or memory. The turn around time was exactly 7 days from the time they recieved the unit as they quoted.

stereotaipei
New here

Post by stereotaipei » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:41 pm

I have the same problem of HD 3 error on my TVS-473 (changed disk, etc). I have an old 8 disk Qnap NAS lying around. If I would put all 6 NAS disks into this old NAS, would it work or Raid 5 structure get lost in the transfer? sorry for the newbie question....

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 pm

how do you have 6 nas disks in your 473?

check then qnap migration guide to see if you can move the disks

kommisar
New here

Post by kommisar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:02 am

Triforcecwp wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 am
Contacted Qnap, and my device was out side the warranty period so im SOL, looks like ill have to take it apart and fix it my self, if anyone has any documentation for doing that i would greatly appreciate it. :(

kommisar, you mentioned you had a solution, if you could provide more details that would be fantastic.
Hi,

Indeed there is a fix to the NAS HW which solves the root cause of the issue for good. You will void warranty and there is always a chance to damage your NAS. If you would like to do that anyway, provide your contact information I will sent you instructions (there is no PM on this forum )

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”