Array degraded with spare

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
knowles13088
Starting out

Array degraded with spare

Post by knowles13088 »

I have a TS-563 with 5 hard drives installed. Drive are configured in RAID 5 array, with Disk 1 set as spare. Disks 4 and 5 have failed. DIsks 1,2,3 are still showing good, but the spare is not coming online to rebuild the array. Array is showing as read only.

I don't see where the setting is to bring Disk 1 into the array and start a rebuild.

Current firmware is 4.3.3.0154 (2017/04/13)

Where do I go from here?

Thank you.
Don
Guru

Re: Array degraded with spare

Post by Don »

If you have two failed disks in a RAID 5 array there is no way to recover it.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
knowles13088
Starting out

Post by knowles13088 »

It seems coincidental with 2 drives failing simultaneously. Using enterprise rated drives (Seagate ST2000NM033). Spare did not have time to come online/rebuild.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Open a ticket with QNAP to see if they can diagnose what happened and if they can recover your array.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
knowles13088
Starting out

Post by knowles13088 »

Update.
As the QNAP only contains system backups, I decided that I could be aggressive in dealing with the situation. I rebooted the NAS. All drives showing as good and the array is rebuilding.
I'm going to locate a readable file and see how usable it may be. Initial peek into some of the folders appear promising.
I'm going to let the rebuild complete and then do some investigating.
knowles13088
Starting out

Post by knowles13088 »

New update:
It appears the TS-563 failed two drives in the array within moments of each other. The drives are Seagate enterprise class drives, so not a slouch approach.
Running the long (SMART) tests on the failed drives still indicated failures. Added two new drives to the system. Long tests on the 3 good original and new are so far showing good.

Other forum topics are causing concern:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=134212 and viewtopic.php?f=182&t=125803

I'm leery of accepting two near simultaneous drive failures.

I have a working ticket with QNAP supoprt and awaiting their input
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

knowles13088 wrote:New update:
It appears the TS-563 failed two drives in the array within moments of each other. The drives are Seagate enterprise class drives, so not a slouch approach.
Running the long (SMART) tests on the failed drives still indicated failures. Added two new drives to the system. Long tests on the 3 good original and new are so far showing good.

doesn't matter if enterprise or not, even they too have MBTF. what are their condition, are they brand new? or are they old and heavily used? :? are they still under warranty? when you bought them were they factory sealed or 2nd hand (which i never recommend :shock: ).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
knowles13088
Starting out

Post by knowles13088 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:

doesn't matter if enterprise or not, even they too have MBTF. what are their condition, are they brand new? or are they old and heavily used? :? are they still under warranty? when you bought them were they factory sealed or 2nd hand (which i never recommend :shock: ).

Drives are/were new in March last year, so I am sure under warranty. Heavily used? Not unreasonably so. We use it to do image backups from three small-ish servers nightly, and to store some archived information. I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
I'm retrieving the subject drives tomorrow for further evaluation. My frustration is with the loss of the array (and its archived data) in what I still think is a suspect series of events.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

knowles13088 wrote:I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
well not charles xavier, i don't know your background thats why i asked anyway :mrgreen: but good to know.
knowles13088 wrote: Drives are/were new in March last year, so I am sure under warranty. Heavily used? Not unreasonably so. We use it to do image backups from three small-ish servers nightly, and to store some archived information. I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
I'm retrieving the subject drives tomorrow for further evaluation. My frustration is with the loss of the array (and its archived data) in what I still think is a suspect series of events.
ok so rougly a year old enterprise drive and 2 failing at same time. okay thats sounds rather dodgy :? i'd be skeptical too.

guess checking if it's a false positive on qnap side makes sense. but only technical support can really help you with that assessment :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
knowles13088
Starting out

Post by knowles13088 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
knowles13088 wrote:I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
well not charles xavier, i don't know your background thats why i asked anyway :mrgreen: but good to know. :lol:
knowles13088 wrote: Drives are/were new in March last year, so I am sure under warranty. Heavily used? Not unreasonably so. We use it to do image backups from three small-ish servers nightly, and to store some archived information. I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
ok so rougly a year old enterprise drive and 2 failing at same time. okay thats sounds rather dodgy :? i'd be skeptical too.

guess checking if it's a false positive on qnap side makes sense. but only technical support can really help you with that assessment :)
That's the plan! :)
seagate_surfer
Starting out

Post by seagate_surfer »

knowles13088 wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:

Drives are/were new in March last year, so I am sure under warranty. Heavily used? Not unreasonably so. We use it to do image backups from three small-ish servers nightly, and to store some archived information. I know drives fail, no matter what one might expect (been in IT for decades :D )
We are sorry to hear you're running into trouble here. Since you mentioned the drives may be under warranty and you've got an ongoing situation via the QNAP ticket, we just wanted to make sure you know that you can go to our Warranty Validation tool if you decide to look into doing an RMA on the drives down the road, and that you can get in touch directly with Seagate Customer Support if needed.
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”