Problems with File access on NAS (Finder)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ovbg
Know my way around

Problems with File access on NAS (Finder)

Post by ovbg »

Hi there, I have a QNAP TS-219P II which I have connected to my Mac via WiFi (The NAS connects directly to my router via Ethernet and from there WiFi to my Mac)

I can easily connect to the NAS using Qfinder Pro and if I use FileStation 5, I can access all the files I moved across to the Multimedia folder.

However, when using Finder, it generally fails. I can access the Multimedia Folder in Finder, but when I drill down to the folder which has my data, it rarely shows any files (maybe 1 in 30 times it successfully shows the files).

I am connecting via AFP as an administrator.

What could be wrong as the WiFi connection to the NAS is good (and it works fine via FileStation 5) but I need Finder to work?

(I have updated the NAS to the latest firmware)

Thanks
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Problems with File access on NAS (Finder)

Post by Trexx »

Are you using the latest Finder version as well? I never navigate the NAS via Finder. It's sole purpose in life (for me at least) is to do an initial setup of NAS. After that, not much use.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
ovbg
Know my way around

Post by ovbg »

Hi Trexx, thanks for your reply.

Finder version 10.12.5.

Normally I just used the NAS for a Time Machine Backup, but I am trying to find a better solution for external storage. I have a MacBook that has become my main computer. When at home it sits permanently connected to a monitor and has two external hard drives (connected via USB3). The problem is, when I sleep the MacBook, it keeps firing up all the time, so I have to switch off the monitor. When I do that, the MacBook and hard drives disconnect and I get the warning about disconnected drives without unmounting them.

I was hoping to just use the NAS which should always connect to the laptop but not have this problem.

This is why I then need it to connect to Finder.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I am sorry.. was thinking Qnap's QFINDER.

I would do a manual update to the new 4.3.3 build 262 that came out today. See thread in the forums as there are alot of fixes for SMB in it.

I connect to my mac via SMB or AFP both of which are visible in finder on the left side. Assuming you have SMB and AFP configured properly on the QNAP side, make sure in Finder Preferences you have "Connected Servers" checked on the General tab.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
ovbg
Know my way around

Post by ovbg »

No probs Trexx, thanks for getting back. I have Connected Servers checked. How can I check if SMB and AFP are configured properly on QNAP?
fredtsai
Getting the hang of things

Post by fredtsai »

I'm not expert but in my experience, most of the time SMB provides much faster connection than AFP.
I mean in my case, my staff work in an internal network, I simply ask then to use SMB instead of AFP.

Most of the time, if you did not change anything, by default SMB and AFP should be working without much further configuration.

If SMB gives you correct access to your files but AFT won't, I suggest you should submit a ticket for QNAP to look around it.
==============================================================
[list]TS-451 8GB Memory FW: 4.4.1.1216 Build 20200214 - As company data server
4 disks in Raid5 (Seagate Ironwolf 10T*4)
Services / OpenVPN server / Notes Station / Cloud Drive Sync / Unifi Controller /
[list]TS-653A 8GB Memory FW: 4.4.2.1262 Build 20200402 - As personal media server
6 disks in Raid6 (Seagate Ironwolf 4T*6)
Services / Notes Station / Plex Media Server / Backup Station / Cloud Drive Sync /
ovbg
Know my way around

Post by ovbg »

Thanks :) So how do I know I am connecting via SMB? I see two options in Finder, one says AFP, the other just has the name of the NAS. That seems likely to be the SMB.

Is there a setting on the NAS for SMB?
fredtsai

Post by fredtsai »

I haven't turn on my old Macbook air for a while... let me get some screen shot for you.
Due to work have to change to Windows OS... Give me a while and I'll provide you some info soon.
Services / OpenVPN server / Notes Station / Cloud Drive Sync / Unifi Controller /
[list]TS-653A 8GB Memory FW: 4.4.2.1262 Build 20200402 - As personal media server
Services / Notes Station / Plex Media Server / Backup Station / Cloud Drive Sync /
fredtsai

Post by fredtsai »

ovbg wrote:Thanks :) So how do I know I am connecting via SMB? I see two options in Finder, one says AFP, the other just has the name of the NAS. That seems likely to be the SMB.

Is there a setting on the NAS for SMB?
Back to your question, YES. The one that you see is "NOT" AFP will be SMB connection.

OK, I tried some quick screenshots from my macbook air.
Sometimes in case your server does not show at the "shared computer", you can always do it manually and this will provide you SMB connection 100% for sure.

Select Finder, and then on your tool bar, select "Go" and then "Connect to Server".

Then you may manually input your server address, which will be sure that it will connect based on your wish.
In my case, if begins with afp or smb or vnc, it varies the connection method.

MacOS will ask you which volume that you would like to mount, select one and click OK.

Then at your finder, you'll be able to find the "server" that you just connected. Your Mac Os should be asking your login id and password before that.
In case you would like to change login user, you can disconnect and then connect again with the user id/password you want.

Hope I'm helping at some point.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”