TS-451a: power interruption caused two disks to go offline, I fixed it but shouldn't have had to :)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Arrgh
New here

TS-451a: power interruption caused two disks to go offline, I fixed it but shouldn't have had to :)

Post by Arrgh »

Hey folks,

I have a TS-451a with four 3TB Western Digital "Red" drives in it. Firmware version is 4.3.3.0262.

Until today it's been great, but this afternoon someone (possibly me ;)) accidentally interrupted its power supply. When I plugged it back in, the RAID volume was down because disks 3 & 4 didn't exist, according to Storage Manager. Obviously nothing had changed with the physical mounting of the disks, and there was no serious jostling, but I went through several shutdown, unplug, replug, restart cycles, to no avail.

Finally I logged in over ssh and tried to rescan the SCSI bus, fdisk -l, etc., no dice. I looked at dmesg and there were a couple boot messages like "md: kicking non-fresh sdc3 from array". I tried to mdadm --fail, --remove, --add, etc. and it complained that /dev/sdc3 didn't exist--sure enough the device nodes for /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, /dev/sdc* and /dev/sdd* were missing! I recreated them with mknod, rebooted one more time, and it looks like it worked.

Now, the complaint! this is a pretty common failure mode, and the system software really should be able to deal with it better. 99.5% of the population are unable and/or unwilling to go the lengths I went to to restore service.

Thanks!
Don
Guru

Re: TS-451a: power interruption caused two disks to go offline, I fixed it but shouldn't have had to :)

Post by Don »

Sudden power loss on a NAS can cause all kinds of issues. The solution is to purchase a UPS that will gracefully shut the NAS down when there is a loss of power.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Zorke
New here

Re: TS-451a: power interruption caused two disks to go offline, I fixed it but shouldn't have had to :)

Post by Zorke »

Well beyond saying that, is there anything to do? I do not know enough UNIX to follow the fix.
BTW: I do have a UPS, it failed.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”