Threshold Reached Plus More

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
RCFlyer
New here

Threshold Reached Plus More

Post by RCFlyer »

I am new to the QNAS product but I am totally familiar with NAS drives as I have 5 of them by "other" manufactures. (that are getting old and are looking to be replaced by the QNAS)
I have just purchased 3-231P QNAS drives, each with WD40 Reds (4TB) each running RAID 1 and all are up and running with the total volume as static single volume running QNAS 4.3.3.0277.
I have loaded ONLY the bare required APPs which is dependent on the purpose I am using the QNAS(s) for. I am looking to keep the overall resources by the device to the absolute minimum so that I can maximize on the QNAS performance and storage.

A few questions please:(and I can appreciate general answers as those are dependent on the APPs used and the features used within them. I am using the standard loaded APPs + Download station, resource monitor, media streaming and hybrid backup sync at the most)
1- the default storage Threshold is set at 80%. Is there a particular reason that it is set at 80%? As I had reached that benchmark with still 584GB free which I upped to 90%.Which still leaves 478GB free.
2- Can I continue to use the remaining 478 TB without consequences to the QNAS?
3- how much "free" space is needed by the device? Or has this already been taken into account as part of the overhead of the QNAS OS?
4- on each of the 3-QNAS drives I always get the message "Resource Monitor" Swap memory usage is too high 279MB, along with a few suggestions to correct it. Like install an SSD or reboot. I do not see any degradation in the device performance.
5- I am looking to add an external HDD via the front USB for backup purposes. Documentation that I have read seems to be lacking in details.
5a- If I attached a 2TB drive to the front USB port, will the drive get reformatted?
5b- The same 2TB drive cannot backup the 4TB raid, so can you select the folders that you really want backed up?
5c- with the one touch button set to backup, can this also be scheduled?
5d- can this attached drive backup run in a compressed mode to attempt to backup the 4TB raid? (actually 3.54 TB)
6- Last one for now!! If you feel that the QNAS firmware needs to be upgraded (there is a newer version just released), what is the "real" risk of data loss on the RAID drives?

:) Thanks :)
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: Threshold Reached Plus More

Post by MrVideo »

RCFlyer wrote:1- the default storage Threshold is set at 80%. Is there a particular reason that it is set at 80%? As I had reached that benchmark with still 584GB free which I upped to 90%.Which still leaves 478GB free.
No idea why QNAP chose 80%. I turned mine off.
2- Can I continue to use the remaining 478 TB without consequences to the QNAS?
I've filled my TS-451A so that I was unable to copy over files.
3- how much "free" space is needed by the device? Or has this already been taken into account as part of the overhead of the QNAS OS?
The file space in question is strictly for your storage needs. There are other partitions that the OS uses.
4- on each of the 3-QNAS drives I always get the message "Resource Monitor" Swap memory usage is too high 279MB, along with a few suggestions to correct it. Like install an SSD or reboot. I do not see any degradation in the device performance.
Sorry, but I have no clue regarding this issue. I've never gotten it on either of my boxes.
5- I am looking to add an external HDD via the front USB for backup purposes. Documentation that I have read seems to be lacking in details.
5a- If I attached a 2TB drive to the front USB port, will the drive get reformatted?
No. You do the formatting. Info is in the manual
5b- The same 2TB drive cannot backup the 4TB raid, so can you select the folders that you really want backed up?
I believe so. I do not use the GUI to do backups. I've written my own scripts to do rsync backps to my external drives.
5c- with the one touch button set to backup, can this also be scheduled?
I do not know.
5d- can this attached drive backup run in a compressed mode to attempt to backup the 4TB raid? (actually 3.54 TB)
I really do not know.
6- Last one for now!! If you feel that the QNAS firmware needs to be upgraded (there is a newer version just released), what is the "real" risk of data loss on the RAID drives?
Slim. But, always have your important data backed up, as you never know.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
RCFlyer
New here

Post by RCFlyer »

Thanks so much for the replies!!

1-I have bumped up my thresholds on all of the TS-231Ps to 95% just to let me know that we are reaching capacity.
2- Good to know that maxing out the drive does not cause sudden death to the system! I only have a few APPs, just the ones that I need, so less than 4 or 5 max!
3-I would be interested to know what space has been allocated for the QNAP OS. I would assume some size for APPs and once that magic number has been reached, your need to perform some house maintenance.
4-Resource monitor even after I have done what I needed to do with the drives, every time I access the the resource monitor I get that "message". I would greatly appreciate some further information from the knowledge base out there.
5-I (finally) found some worthy documentation on the external drive. Seems interesting but I did not see anything for compression of data from the RAID to a smaller external drive. Possibly a future consideration?
6- I concur having a backup and hence the questions of 5a-d before attempting a firmware upgrade. I was looking for experience from the users on firmware upgrades. I tend to try and stay at a "stable" release unless there is some serious reason to upgrade it. Then again I do not want to get too far behind just in case a previous firmware is required for the newer firmware.

Is there a way to adjust the auto logoff time?

Is there anyway to delete/remove (hide) the unused system created folders like; WEB, Home, public etc..? as this only confuses the other non-techies in the house hold?

Really like the UPS support via the USB. A great method to add additional perfection to the QNAP!

All QNAPs are TS-231P, stock, all running 4.3.3.0277 build 2017081, WD040EFRX-68N32N0 x 2 for all 3-TS-231P, RAID 1.

!! Thanks !!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

RCFlyer wrote:3-I would be interested to know what space has been allocated for the QNAP OS. I would assume some size for APPs and once that magic number has been reached, your need to perform some house maintenance.
The OS is on its own partition, which I believe is MD9,
5-I (finally) found some worthy documentation on the external drive. Seems interesting but I did not see anything for compression of data from the RAID to a smaller external drive. Possibly a future consideration?
I do not believe you can do any compression.
6- I concur having a backup and hence the questions of 5a-d before attempting a firmware upgrade.
Formatting of an externally connected drive is controlled by you. The external drive would be completely useless if it was formatted each time it was connected.
Is there a way to adjust the auto logoff time?
No idea. I'm logged into my main data NAS vis SSH.
Is there anyway to delete/remove (hide) the unused system created folders like; WEB, Home, public etc..? as this only confuses the other non-techies in the house hold?
If the normal permission control doesn't do it, then I think not. I'm the only user, so I've never tried.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”