TVS 1282 / HDD Tray Compatibility / M2-SSD-Initial-OS-Install and System-Cache / PowerSupply

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tasse321
New here

TVS 1282 / HDD Tray Compatibility / M2-SSD-Initial-OS-Install and System-Cache / PowerSupply

Post by tasse321 »

Hello,

we are planing to purchase a TVS 1282 (i7-32GB) with 8X10TB HGST Ultrastar (general Data-Storage-Volume, RAID 6 or RAID 10), 4x250GB SSD (2 x VM-Volumes, each as RAID 1 ) and 2x500GB M2-SSD (RAID 1 - System Cache?).
I would be thankful, if the following questions could be answered:

1) HDD Tray for 10TB HGST Ultrastar
10TB HGST Ultrastar is on the QNAP compatibility list, but the compatibility list is stating, that a different drive carrier would be needed (due to the different hole positions for the big SATA drives).
Is this information still valid for the TVS 1282 that is sold currently. If yes, could you please provide a link, there to buy these special HDD trays, that fit with the 10TB HGST Ultrastar.

2) M2-SSD Initial OS Installation and System Cache
QNAP recommends in the TVS-x82 Series Datasheet to "...deploy the QTS (NAS operating system) on the M.2 SSD to increase overall system performance and responsiveness."
Is it done by installing/starting the OS at first time, only with the two M.2 SSD installed and then combining them into a RAID1 (would that be best practice?)?
Could the RAID1 of the M2-SSD after installing the OS on it, also be used as System Cache afterwards.

3) Power Supply
The TVS 1282 is not providing a redundant Power Supply. Then running a system 24/7, and the power supply stops working, can the user replace the builtin power supply with a standard one, or must one buy/order a original power supply from QNAP.
Should we, if planning to run the system 24/7, buy a replacement power supply together with the TVS 1282 in advance?

Best
Tasse
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: TVS 1282 / HDD Tray Compatibility / M2-SSD-Initial-OS-Install and System-Cache / PowerSupply

Post by MrVideo »

tasse321 wrote:we are planing to purchase a TVS 1282 (i7-32GB) with 8X10TB HGST Ultrastar (general Data-Storage-Volume, RAID 6 or RAID 10)
Do not use RAID10, use RAID6. If you lose the wrong two drives, the RAID is toast. With RAID6 you can lose any two drives and the RAID is still functional. With RAID10 you give up 50% of the RAID to the mirror. With RAID6 you only give up 20% to RAID overhead.
10TB HGST Ultrastar is on the QNAP compatibility list, but the compatibility list is stating, that a different drive carrier would be needed (due to the different hole positions for the big SATA drives).
Is this information still valid for the TVS 1282 that is sold currently. If yes, could you please provide a link, there to buy these special HDD trays, that fit with the 10TB HGST Ultrastar.
QNAP will charge an arm-and-a-leg for trays. Not sure if you can get them anywhere else. Maybe you can drill the required holes and save a ton of money.
3) Power Supply
The TVS 1282 is not providing a redundant Power Supply. Then running a system 24/7, and the power supply stops working, can the user replace the builtin power supply with a standard one, or must one buy/order a original power supply from QNAP.
Should we, if planning to run the system 24/7, buy a replacement power supply together with the TVS 1282 in advance?
You are basically betting that the power supply is going to croak. Something may end up dieing first. You'll find very few postings here from users about about replacement power supplies because theirs died.

I personally do not know if that unit uses a generic supply or if you have to buy theirs. Ask sales, or support.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS 1282 / HDD Tray Compatibility / M2-SSD-Initial-OS-Install and System-Cache / PowerSupply

Post by P3R »

tasse321 wrote:...we are planing to purchase a TVS 1282 (i7-32GB) with 8X10TB HGST Ultrastar (general Data-Storage-Volume, RAID 6 or RAID 10)
RAID 6 is more reliable, offer more available storage and is in many applications faster.
...4x250GB SSD (2 x VM-Volumes, each as RAID 1 )
Why two volumes?
Is this information still valid for the TVS 1282 that is sold currently.
The models mentioned in the article linked to in that note are all old and not sold any more. TVS-1282 isn't mentioned.
I wouldn't.

Given what we see reported here in the forum I think that the main board is more likely to break than the PS.

If the system is extremely critical, I would rather plan for a backup/fallback system than stock spare parts.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tasse321
New here

Post by tasse321 »

First of all:

thanks for the answers.

A brief feedback to some of your considerations:
The NAS will be used as an Emergency and Backup Server for our Research Department (General File Storage on the Hard Disk Raid and on the SSDs an additional virtualized DC and an additional virtualized File Server for our domain).
2 dedicated VM-Volumes for the DC and File Server to seperate Network Traffic and Disk File Access.
With around 80 Users working with small and normal sized offices files and huge amounts of small and very big research files, Read and Write Performance is very important.
And as the Hard drive reliability over the last years were always showing HGST drives to be very reliable drives and the RAID 10 REBUILD TIME is much lower compared to RAID 6, we are taking a RAID 10 also into consideration.

But back to my questions:

The information that the HDD-Tray needs to be replaced is from the TVS-1282-QNAP-Homepage (https://www.qnap.com/de-de/compatibilit ... category=1)
For the HGST HUH721010ALE600, according to QNAP, a different HDD-Tray is needed.
For the HGST HDN721010ALE604 no different HDD-Tray is needed. I am sorry, I overlooked this one.

2) M2-SSD Initial OS Installation and System Cache
No answers here so far and not much information/ clear instructions from QNAP

What I found:
- OS-Installing on SSD (recommended by QNAP). Source: TVS-x82 Series Datasheet - English (https://files.qnap.com/news/pressresour ... _D_web.pdf - see page 6 ("The use of M.2 SSD on the system").
- Storage Performance (also System Cache) - "old" from Sep 2015. Source: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... t-practice

But these information's do NOT answer my questions.
Is it best practice to create a RAID 1 out of the M.2-SSD and install the OS?
And then later use these M.2-SSd also as System Cache (or shall one ignore the topic "System Cache" as not few people -according to the forum - are having problems with this System Cache feature).

3) Power Supply
I will ask sales, if QNAP is using generic power supplies with generic connectors.

As stated in my feedback. The QNAP would be an Emergency and Backup Server, physically separated from our productive, redundant server infrastructure. and quiet enough to run a box like that in an office room.
And besides, due to lack of professional support here in Germany (no real support hotline, no real customer service for 24/7) we would never consider to run QNAP products in our productive environment.
Don't get me wrong, I think QNAP has highly competitive and clever engineers, but concerning a real customer/business service, if you urgently need it, QNAP is (still) not competitive.

Thanks in advance.

Tasse
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

M.2 nvme is the way to go for caching.
No, you can't have cache and OS on the M.2 disks.

BTW the competitiveness is all about the price you pay! If you want better support buy Netapp and pay Netapp prices.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

tasse321 wrote:1) HDD Tray for 10TB HGST Ultrastar
The information that the HDD-Tray needs to be replaced is from the TVS-1282-QNAP-Homepage (https://www.qnap.com/de-de/compatibilit ... category=1)
For the HGST HUH721010ALE600, according to QNAP, a different HDD-Tray is needed.
For the HGST HDN721010ALE604 no different HDD-Tray is needed. I am sorry, I overlooked this one.
I'm convinced that is a general note that is applied to all disks with the newer screw location regardless of what NAS model you select. When you look at the note, there is a link to the document I linked to and there are only old NAS models mentioned, probably those are the only NAS models affected.

The same note come up when I check the compatibility list for the TS-853A, that I know have the new trays.

I simply can't imagine that such a late model as the TVS-1282 haven't got the new drive trays with additional holes but please confirm with Qnap as I have no TVS-X82 around to check.
Is it best practice to create a RAID 1 out of the M.2-SSD and install the OS?
No it isn't best practise as so far most Qnap users neither have the budget nor the need for an SSD "system" volume. It's been done though and would absolutely be recommended for a high performance NAS.
And then later use these M.2-SSd also as System Cache...
You can't use the same SSDs as both system volume and as cache. Cache SSDs must be dedicated for that use only.
Last edited by P3R on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I will jump in for question #2 - SSD - Cache. You need to clarify some your meaning of "System CACHE".

To install the base QTS files (Volume1) on m.2 SATA SSD, as has been said you would create a RAID-1 set with the m.2 being the only drives installed Once that is done, those drives can't be used also for CACHE Acceleration. QTS can use them for swap space, etc.

If you are looking for redundant power supplies, generally you are going to have to go into RACK mount versions of the QNAP NAS. They do not offer that is the "desktop" versions.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”