How re-add the drive which was "safely detached"

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
EshkinCat
New here

How re-add the drive which was "safely detached"

Post by EshkinCat »

Hello,
I used "safe detach" feature in my TS-453Bmini to take HDD out of NAS (it was set up as a single volume). Then I inserted it into HDD doc-station to attach it to the NAS as an external disk. I was surprised that the NAS can not see the files from this HDD.

How can I re-add it to the NAS without losing my data?
P3R
Guru

Re: How re-add the drive which was "safely detached"

Post by P3R »

EshkinCat wrote:I used "safe detach" feature in my TS-453Bmini to take HDD out of NAS (it was set up as a single volume). Then I inserted it into HDD doc-station to attach it to the NAS as an external disk.
Why on earth did you do that?
I was surprised that the NAS can not see the files from this HDD.
If you had searched the forum you wouldn't have been surprised.
How can I re-add it to the NAS without losing my data?
Have you tried reinserting it?
Last edited by P3R on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
EshkinCat
New here

Post by EshkinCat »

I inserted it back but I can not see this single volume with files (screenshot is attached)
This HDD is shown as "free"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Please contact Qnap support and see if they manage to get it recognized again.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

You can try

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/init_lvm.sh
which is about a 50/50 chance of bringing it back, and it will not delete any data on your disks.
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
EshkinCat
New here

Post by EshkinCat »

Support replied that after connecting HDD via USB, NAS no longer recognizes HDD.
That is really fantastic! NAS can not read his own disks via USB and makes them unusable. Now I have to use R-Studio to recover my data.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

What you did isn't documented as a valid procedure so unexpected results are to be expected. When doing things out of the ordinary it's better to ask before doing it.

A NAS isn't a standard Linux computer so previous experience may not always be applicable.

Backup copies of all important data on a separate system is always strongly recommended with any data storage, especially when doing experimental stuff like this.

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

I put in a secondary drive into bay 5 of my 5 bay NAS and was running a backup script to it. I found out later that when ejecting out, and later inserting the drive back in, it cannot read it to save its' a$$!! So moral of the story is, any true backup must NOT be associated with anything QNAP or NAS! Rsync to a totally different machine as QNAP will screw ya. Yeah, you would think dropping a drive into another bay and backing up would work, but it doesn't!!
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

This thread is very sad but still a good reminder to everyone else that using internal disks as backup is for several reasons a bad idea. It may in some cases work but it's still a bad idea.

The moral of the story:
  • A NAS isn't a simple file enclosure where disks should be swapped out and in (and if they are anyway, it's very risky using the disks elsewhere in the mean time)
  • Backups are best done to disks connected externally with USB or over the network
  • It's a good idea to search this forum and learn about best practice before doing things out of the ordinary
  • A NAS isn't a standard computer so previous experience may not always be directly applicable

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”