HowTo Remote start and stop NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
gga33
New here

HowTo Remote start and stop NAS

Post by gga33 »

I'm new to QNAP and tried to find this out via docs:
I want to use this NAS (TS-431P) in a SOHO environment, where the PC's (W7 and W10) rarely use NAS-contents.
But if, I want to start the NAS from the PC (WOL?) and stop it when the PC shut's down (batch? But how to adress such a command to the NAS).
Any idea how to manage this?

Off topic: is the internal file system robust enough to deal with sudden power outages (RAID5)?

thanks in advance!
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: HowTo Remote start and stop NAS

Post by storageman »

Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Protect your NAS from power lose with a UPS.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
gga33
New here

Post by gga33 »

Thx.;
the program you point to is just another application I have to start (and not forget) to shutdown a Qnap-system.
What I'm looking for is something that can be included in a Windows PC shutdown process...
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

I see
Maybe you can script SSH
https://superuser.com/questions/736665/ ... batch-file

[~] # /etc/init.d/services.sh stop
[~] # /etc/init.d/poweroff
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Why not leave it running 7 x 24? They are designed to run 24 hours a day. You will putting more wear and tear on the unit and especially the drives with all of the power ups which will lead to premature failure.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”