Filestation 5 gives no status on a copy or move task

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
hubb_99
New here

Filestation 5 gives no status on a copy or move task

Post by hubb_99 »

QNAP 431P with latest firmware.

So I'm trying to find a way to effectively move a rather large number of files from a USB 3.0 external Drive and using Filestation. When I do a copy or a move task there is no status or progress indicator. In fact it doesn't even refresh the source window, I have to do that manually. Still I have no way of knowing if the files copied successfully or not. I've tried this through the web management portal, through the Qmanagement apps, directly to the filestation webportal. All have the same operation.

viewtopic.php?f=174&t=16731

Here in this FAQ post this first suggestion is "1. Built-in Web File Manager". Unless I'm missing something that's not a viable option. What's the deal here? I have to say, overall I have found the QNAP software incredibly clunky and buggy. I'm really considering trying another brand of NAS.
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: Filestation 5 gives no status on a copy or move task

Post by MrVideo »

hubb_99 wrote:QNAP 431P with latest firmware.
That means absolutely nothing. You must list your firmware version and build date.
So I'm trying to find a way to effectively move a rather large number of files from a USB 3.0 external Drive and using Filestation.
How about using backup station and rsync?

I do all my backups and big file manipulations via the ssh admin login, i.e., command line. So, I can't give you any specific tips on how to use it. Others here can.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
hubb_99
New here

Post by hubb_99 »

FW Image: 4.3.3 0299 (2017/09/01)

Not sure backup station with rsync would help much. As I understand it, that's for syncing folder to a remote server.

As an update I did a restart and was able to see the background tasks briefly. Moved and copied a couple small folders and the tasks went ok, everything seemed to work out ok, started a rather big copy for overnight and this morning have no task history on the app (Qfile) or the webpage for filestation. So I have to go into the folder and look at the file count etc. That's just ridiculous. Of all the pieces of software that you would expect to work right in a NAS this is pretty crucial. I realize there are other ways to accomplish this (WinSCP, etc) but c'mon....the filemanager built in to the NAS should at least work.

Really thinking pretty seriously about returning this NAS before my 30 days is up and jumping over to Synology or WD. I had a 451 for a couple days before I returned it fior this one and found it's software to be even more buggy. Get with it QNAP!!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

hubb_99 wrote:Not sure backup station with rsync would help much. As I understand it, that's for syncing folder to a remote server.
Nope. I use rsync to do my backups to my external USB connected drives. If need be, I can go from the USB drives to the NAS. I have done so. But, I do not use backup station. I have my own personal scripts.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”