Qnap 212+ Benchmarks Raid 0/1/JBOD/Single Vol?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
scottfree1
Starting out

Qnap 212+ Benchmarks Raid 0/1/JBOD/Single Vol?

Post by scottfree1 »

My current setup 2x2tb in raid 0 (Hitachi Ultrastar's 7K3000 64mb/7200) is ready to be blowed up ;-( Disk 1 has a bad block so it's back 0 and re-deciding if my (as usual) questionable decision making (performance over safety Always) is worth it. I raid 0 I'm getting respectable perf. nothing earth shattering but faster than a pokey old locaL 1.5TB Barracuda Green (ST1500DL003 5900RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB) can'i complain. But now that I'm starting over was wondering what the risk reward was on the various setups, and while qnap gives a butlaod of perf. charts the qnap 212+ 1gb in Raid 0/1/JBOD/Single Vol does mot seem to be one of them,,

Qnap 90/55 vs the
Old notness 65/75 vs my system drive
The new hotness 800/800
Now that's a drive! (visiontek 240gb pci-e ssd)

storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Qnap 212+ Benchmarks Raid 0/1/JBOD/Single Vol?

Post by storageman »

Bear in mind a c: drive test is not a network test so pretty meaningless in the NAS world when a 1GbE port limits you.
Still SSDs are the future.
scottfree1
Starting out

Post by scottfree1 »

Trying to decide between raid 0 and individual volumes, data safety is not an issue but convenience is and replacing a drive in raid 0 is NOT convenient.. My main thing is seq. write raid 0 vs ind. volumes??
scottfree1
Starting out

Post by scottfree1 »

storageman wrote:Still SSDs are the future.
Read is bumping the the 1gbs but there is 50gb left on the write side, since the future is now is 100mbs write on the 212+ just a matter of loading it with fast enough ssd's?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

putting SSDs is an old ARM unit seems a waste of money

I doubt it can saturate the 1GbE with regular drives (no matter what disk/RAID config)
scottfree1
Starting out

Post by scottfree1 »

I was thinking sshd "firecuda" drives can be had for $50/$80 1tb/2tb which is pretty competitive the ulttrastar's I usually go with.. And with the aveage user getting + %44 bump $100 for a 2tb r0 with 340mbs write potential, well it sounds fun, where da 10gbs nas's at??
'
http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Se ... 03vsm10357
scottfree1
Starting out

Post by scottfree1 »

dolbyman wrote:putting SSDs is an old ARM unit seems a waste of money

I doubt it can saturate the 1GbE with regular drives (no matter what disk/RAID config)
Time to upgrade anyway, this seems like a screaming deal, 4tb 10GbE $374 from amz warehouse, with $140ishiun drives alone..
BUFFALO TeraStation 4 TB (2x2 TB) RAID NAS & iSCSI Desktop Storage
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7N3YRI/ref=olcoimes _product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=]
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

scottfree1 wrote:Trying to decide between raid 0 and individual volumes, data safety is not an issue but convenience is and replacing a drive in raid 0 is NOT convenient..
It's time to step to a 4-bay then. RAID 5 give better performance than a 2-bay RAID 0 AND the reliability and convenience of a redundant disk configuration.
I was thinking sshd "firecuda" drives...
Desktop disks are not recommended for NAS use, neither by disk manufacturers nor by Qnap.
...where da 10gbs nas's at??
It's here (SFP+ so would depend on what you intend to connect it to), choosing only one from the 44 Qnap models with 10 GbE built in that I've found. I didn't bother to count those with optional 10 GbE but there could be even more of them.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”