Replacing all drives in TS-659 Pro

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
cmdwedge
New here

Replacing all drives in TS-659 Pro

Post by cmdwedge »

Hi guys,

My faithful TS-659 Pro has been serving me well for something like 6 or 7 years. It's currently filled with 1.5TB Samsung Green drives. Yesterday, drive 3 finally failed, after giving me SMART alerts a couple of months ago. So I've pulled the trigger and purchased 6 new 4TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives - ST4000VN008.

I know that an online RAID expansion is out of the question as it's limited to 16TB volumes, and I'll be up around the 20TB mark with RAID-5 on this NAS. I've got enough storage to backup everything in my existing ~7TB NAS to external drives, but I want to keep everything the same - I don't want to reinstall apps, reconfigure Plex (and rebuild my library etc). I know that QNAP has a method for transferring NAS -> NAS and for expanding an existing NAS, but is there a valid way for me to essentially backup my entire NAS and move it to some external storage, then 'restore' that backup onto a fresh set of disks in the same NAS?

Really appreciate any advice you can give me. NAS is currently powered off and I'm awaiting delivery of the new drives.

Thanks very much, Phil
Don
Guru

Re: Replacing all drives in TS-659 Pro

Post by Don »

Need to start over from scratch.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”