CPU usage near 100% all the time

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Proggie
Starting out

Re: CPU usage near 100% all the time

Post by Proggie »

My TS-419P is similar but different. Noticed it only after the recent QTS 4.3.3.1315 Build 20200611 update. CPU is 100% all the time, but only if I'm logged into the web GUI. Then I see the kernel_processes and python processes taking most of the CPU, and I can't do a lot in the GUI before it becomes unresponsive. While this is going on if I ssh in (after enabling ssh temporarily) then top doesn't show "kernel_processes" just the python ones. If I log out of the web GUI then CPU goes down to anywhere between 2-40%. I have malware and antivirus up to date and a very strong password plus 2FA and have most services turned off including ssh.
TS-419P 4.3.3.1315 Build 20200611
herrcafe
Starting out

Post by herrcafe »

FWIW I had to restore the NAS to factory settings and rebuild the shares. Not the most pleasant experience.
--
QNAP 453mini 16GB RAM RAID5 4 x 6TB HGST HUS726060ALA640
QNAP UX-500P Expansion Unit RAID5 5 x 4TB HGST HUS724040ALA640
wigo
First post

Post by wigo »

I have also had a high CPU over the past few days (95-100%).
I saw this old topic but would still like to share my finding for future problems.

I have an old NAS (TS-412), which I only use for storage of movies and music.
I also have an Nvidia Shield which gets movies and music from the TS-412. The Shield is running a Plex server and the Plex player. I have mounted the NAS on the Shield and shared the folders in Plex Server.
The NAS doesn't have to do much, just pass on the data to the Shield.
A few days ago Plex had a problem that affected many users. Me too.
After one day the problem was solved but I had to reassign all folders of the NAS on the Shield (in Plex).
Then I saw the CPU skyrocket. I didn't find anything strange, no malware etc. But I still could not access data (movies of music) on the Shield because the CPU of the NAS was at 100%. So everything crashed.
Finally I found out that I had to remount the NAS on the Shield (so not only remapping the folders in Plex)!
And that solved the problem. So because Plex had a problem, my Shield had a problem and so did the NAS.
There was nothing wrong with the NAS, the Shield was the problem after they had a problem at Plex.
The solution was quite simple but you just have to discover it. Maybe my information will be useful for someone in the future.
lf.puc
New here

Post by lf.puc »

Hello

Mine is an older TS431U . The load was always higher than 20. CPU between 99 and 100%. Using top, I saw some nfsd processes running.
I disabled the NFS v4 service (kept NFS v2 and 3) and the CPU usage dropped to 25%.
Some years ago I had to disabled the antivirus. This made a huge difference as well.
Hope this will help QNAP engineers to tune nfsd for NFSv4. Maybe ARMv7 isn't enough for all the software.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This wont help QNAP at all...unless you open a ticket (QNAP support does not come here)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”