CPU usage near 100% all the time

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: CPU usage near 100% all the time

Post by dolbyman »

if you expose any parts of your NAS to the web, you might want to run the malware remover .. just in case
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

Doing some research, top command doesn't show kernel processes.
this appears to be why the high CPU usage only shows on the GUI. Nevertheless, the CPU is being thrashed to death and I still don't know why. It can't be good for the lifespan of the thing.
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

dolbyman wrote:if you expose any parts of your NAS to the web, you might want to run the malware remover .. just in case
Oops, I didn't see your post.

Nope, I'm behind firewall, but per your recommendation I did run both the built in clamav antivirus and the malware remover from the app store when I got home, then rebooted and let it sit overnight. Unfortunately, no effect.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I would install Entware qpkg (not sure if there is an ARM version so may need to search forum) and then install htop package. That will have a toggle for showing Kernel Threads which you can then filter/sort on.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

Trexx wrote:I would install Entware qpkg (not sure if there is an ARM version so may need to search forum) and then install htop package. That will have a toggle for showing Kernel Threads which you can then filter/sort on.
I agree

This feels an AWFUL lot like I have malware (maybe some kind of CPU miner?). When my CPU is maxed out despite nothing obvious running, and any attempt to find the offending PID reveals nothing...I get suspicious.

I installed it. Unfortunately, i don't understand how to use it....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

aspomwell
Know my way around

Post by aspomwell »

There have been a few threads about similar problems. When I experienced it, it had to do with a bug in my network port.

If you disable SMB (windows sharing) does it drop down to normal levels? The tech had me move my network cable from port 1 to port 2 and the problem disappeared. I haven't heard anyone else on the forums having that particular problem, but the support guy I talked said a developer suggested it, so they've at least seen it internally.

I believe some of the other causes involved shares with spaces in them, you can try checking that too. Change the names if you have any to remove the spaces.
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

aspomwell wrote:There have been a few threads about similar problems. When I experienced it, it had to do with a bug in my network port.

If you disable SMB (windows sharing) does it drop down to normal levels? The tech had me move my network cable from port 1 to port 2 and the problem disappeared. I haven't heard anyone else on the forums having that particular problem, but the support guy I talked said a developer suggested it, so they've at least seen it internally.

I believe some of the other causes involved shares with spaces in them, you can try checking that too. Change the names if you have any to remove the spaces.
That's certainly worth a try. I will try as soon as I get home. I just reinitialized the thing and setup from scratch, and I'm still seeing high CPU usage. Tech support is stymied as well, and I think I got a good one as she was hacking code like a demon looking for running processes.

No big deal to reinitialize in my case, because there's just 2 gigs of media (mostly movies and music) that I have backed up in several places, and I'm essentially the only user. Everyone is just going to have to live without plex for a few hours!
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

Yep, thanks! Fingers crossed!
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

aspomwell wrote:There have been a few threads about similar problems. When I experienced it, it had to do with a bug in my network port.

OK - GOLD STAR FOR YOU! SOLVED!

You saved me quite a bit of money as well (I was ready to upgrade to an Intel CPU unit, which would be a waste / overkill in my network and may not even have worked)

In the hopes that this may help someone, once again I have:

TS-431P
4.3.3.0299 Build 20170901

I had both NIC's plugged into the same switch, both receiving an IP via DHCP from one of my servers. I literally just unplugged one of the cables, and my CPU load dropped like a stone. Currently 4%.

Dolbyman - sincerely, thank you for sticking with me for two days through this. I learned a few things which is always a good thing, and it's good to know that there's people out there taking the time to help a stranger.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

YUP... that will cause issues.... MORE is not always better.. (if not configured properly).
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

Trexx wrote:YUP... that will cause issues.... MORE is not always better.. (if not configured properly).
Indeed. getting those two adapters configured correctly was on my to-do list.

I must have really screwed up that config though, because my CPU tried to commit suicide over it!

All's well that ends well.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

schbillme wrote:
Trexx wrote:YUP... that will cause issues.... MORE is not always better.. (if not configured properly).
Indeed. getting those two adapters configured correctly was on my to-do list.

I must have really screwed up that config though, because my CPU tried to commit suicide over it!

Glad you were able to find the root cause.
Paul

aspomwell
Know my way around

Post by aspomwell »

schbillme wrote:

You may not have screwed anything up. There was literally a bug in mine. I wasn't double-teaming the nics or anything. Just had a single ethernet cable plugged into eth0. Moved it over to eth1 (and assigned a new IP address) and it went to normal. Of course, maybe you did mess something up! :twisted:
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
schbillme
Starting out

Post by schbillme »

aspomwell wrote:
schbillme wrote:

You may not have screwed anything up. There was literally a bug in mine. I wasn't double-teaming the nics or anything. Just had a single ethernet cable plugged into eth0. Moved it over to eth1 (and assigned a new IP address) and it went to normal. Of course, maybe you did mess something up! :twisted:
Yeah, I have a tendency towards bizarre problems, and I'm the common denominator...

Anyhow, I had both mine plugged in because I was dabbling around to see if I could get the NAS to work on different networks at the same time, while still separate - as in, my linux boxes, plex servers, Kodi and other back-end stuff on one network (MY network, behind VPN), windows laptops, ipads, set top boxes, wifi routers, and phones on another (everyone else's network). I find it best if nobody else in the house can see my equipment. I hadn't gotten around to that yet, so they were both plugged into the same switch directly behind my ISP gateway.

Perhaps, just by luck I unplugged the right one, perhaps my problem is exactly the same as yours. I'd like to find out because (after struggling with it for a week) it might help someone else down the road, so I'll poke around this weekend to see exactly how to reproduce the trouble. I got a really good tech support helper over at Qnap by the name of Toni Nguyen yesterday. She poked around a bit and found a few potential culprits. They turned out not to be the case, but she taught me how to configure the NAS smarter while she was poking around so it was still a good helpful talk.

So far, so good, thanks everyone!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”