Storage Pool & Volume Setup for TVS-882

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
seanbob
New here

Re: Storage Pool & Volume Setup for TVS-882

Post by seanbob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:41 am

I set up my NAS like this in the end:

Storage Pool 1 - Volume 1 - SSD x 2 (RAID 1)
- Purpose: QPKG Applications, Virtual PCs, etc.
- Thick-Provisioned
- 20% Snapshot Reserved (Adjustable Based on Need)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~50% to Max (As Needed)

Storage Pool 2 - Volume 1 - SATA x 6 (RAID 6)
- Purpose: Data Storage (Multimedia & PC Backups)
- Thick-Provisioned
- 10% Snapshot Reserved (Will Adjust as Needed or Reduce if Unused)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~70% Drive Size to Max (As Needed)

The separate storage pools really seem to make sense to me as I was looking to more clearly separate OS/Apps drives from the Data drives. I have yet to really play with the setup yet, but so far managing two pools has not been very cumbersome and everything is working as I had hoped. The ability to make changes to storage pools without necessarily affecting the other, or setting up snapshots differently, provision drives differently, etc., makes it a more flexible option in my opinion. I am taking it slow and not dumping lots of data on the drives yet, so I can test the setup to my satisfaction and still make big changes without any serious consequences. Might be worth setting it up similarly if your use case matches mine and see how you like it for a week or so before fully committing.

I don't plan on using M.2 SSDs or SSD cache, so I can't really speak to that topic.

flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you for the update seanbob. Glad to hear it's working as you had hoped. Some testing is definitely in the plan. May even try out the thin provisioning.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
QTS Version 4.3.4.0695 Build 2018/08/30
Storage Pool 1 - HDD Volume1 - Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Thick-Provisioned
NAS backup to WD Red 8TB via USB Dock
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network

jeeper_atx
Starting out

Post by jeeper_atx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 am

MrVideo wrote:I'm not sure what snapshots will get you here. I don't use them, as I prefer to use all my space for storage. Other users can add insight about snapshots.

seanbob wrote:* Vol1 - System/Apps/Virtual PCs - I set up the SSD drive as a thick-provisioned volume and set aside the standard 20% reserved space for snapshots. A separate system partition on the drive stores OS-related files.

Hi - I am setting up my T-882 that has 1TB x 2 M.2 RAID1 for QTS/System and 6x6TB RAID6 for data. I'm trying to decide between static vs thick for each and curious why you decided to have the thick provisioning on Vol1?

Also :
flagator wrote:Thank you for the update seanbob. Glad to hear it's working as you had hoped. Some testing is definitely in the plan. May even try out the thin provisioning.

Any update on your setup?

I'm migrating from a 2009 4 drive 'plug-and-play' NAS, so have been trying to quickly move up the learning curve!!

jeeper_atx
Starting out

Post by jeeper_atx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am

MrVideo wrote:I'm not sure what snapshots will get you here. I don't use them, as I prefer to use all my space for storage. Other users can add insight about snapshots.

seanbob wrote:* Vol1 - System/Apps/Virtual PCs - I set up the SSD drive as a thick-provisioned volume and set aside the standard 20% reserved space for snapshots. A separate system partition on the drive stores OS-related files.

Hi - I am setting up my T-882 that has 1TB x 2 M.2 RAID1 for QTS/System and 6x6TB RAID6 for data. I'm trying to decide between static vs thick for each and curious why you decided to have the thick provisioning on Vol1?

Also :
flagator wrote:Thank you for the update seanbob. Glad to hear it's working as you had hoped. Some testing is definitely in the plan. May even try out the thin provisioning.

Any update on your setup?

I'm migrating from a 2009 4 drive 'plug-and-play' NAS, so have been trying to quickly move up the learning curve!!

flagator
Know my way around

Post by flagator » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 pm

jeeper_atx wrote:Any update on your setup?

I went with a very slightly modified version of seanbob's setup he outlined in his post above. You can see it in my signature below. I'm using m.2's instead of SSDs and my box only has room for four HDD's. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

Deciding factors between static and thick-provisioning for me were the ability to take snapshots and implement QTier and thin-provisioning later without a complete do-over. Snapshots provide some protection against ransomware / they reside outside the boundaries of the storage volume. I don't have any real need to speed up Storage Pool 2 (my cold data) or over-provision so I'm staying away from QTier and thin-provisioning for now until I better understand them and whether or not there's a benefit for either in my situation. The 473 came with two USB 3.1 ports so I did get a USB 3.1 dock to help speed up backups (and restoration when needed).

Now I'm waiting and hoping for RAM prices to drop and occasionally making improvements like aggregating ports, installing Virtio drivers, and fine tuning security to meet my specific needs. Big hat tip to the pros on here for pointing out where those improvements should and can be made.
Dan

TVS-473-8GB
QTS Version 4.3.4.0695 Build 2018/08/30
Storage Pool 1 - HDD Volume1 - Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Thick-Provisioned
NAS backup to WD Red 8TB via USB Dock
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
Gigabit home network

jeeper_atx
Starting out

Post by jeeper_atx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dan, that's helpful to know. I'm primarily going to be using the NAS as Plex Media Server, along with the associated accessories (Sonarr, SABNZB) and as music/photo repository. Perhaps having the M.2 thick provisioned is better if only to have the advanced features available at a later date.

Off topic - but your system is very similar to mine: I have two Samsung EVO 850 1TB M.2 in RAID 1 for system, apps, Plex Library and possible future VMs. Also, I have the CyberPower OR700LCDRM1U (which I still need to configure).

Per your last comment, I will need to continue reading the forum, I had not seen anything about Virtio drivers. I do have LACP from QNAP to L3 switch. VLANs and other network improvements are TBD - I just installed a pfSense router and have a major learning curve with that, also.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:04 am

seanbob wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:41 am
I set up my NAS like this in the end:

Storage Pool 1 - Volume 1 - SSD x 2 (RAID 1)
- Purpose: QPKG Applications, Virtual PCs, etc.
- Thick-Provisioned
- 20% Snapshot Reserved (Adjustable Based on Need)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~50% to Max (As Needed)

Storage Pool 2 - Volume 1 - SATA x 6 (RAID 6)
- Purpose: Data Storage (Multimedia & PC Backups)
- Thick-Provisioned
- 10% Snapshot Reserved (Will Adjust as Needed or Reduce if Unused)
- Will Increase Volume Size from ~70% Drive Size to Max (As Needed)

The separate storage pools really seem to make sense to me as I was looking to more clearly separate OS/Apps drives from the Data drives. I have yet to really play with the setup yet, but so far managing two pools has not been very cumbersome and everything is working as I had hoped. The ability to make changes to storage pools without necessarily affecting the other, or setting up snapshots differently, provision drives differently, etc., makes it a more flexible option in my opinion. I am taking it slow and not dumping lots of data on the drives yet, so I can test the setup to my satisfaction and still make big changes without any serious consequences. Might be worth setting it up similarly if your use case matches mine and see how you like it for a week or so before fully committing.

I don't plan on using M.2 SSDs or SSD cache, so I can't really speak to that topic.
i'm also considering this setup.

should i use 2 pools? 1 for the QTS in ssd OS, and the other pool for the digital content storage files? So even if QTS fails, only the ssd raid is affected, but not the raid for the storage files? is that how it works?

also whats the difference between having 2 pools vs 1 pool? :'

all i could find was this
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146863&p=706014&hi ... ls#p706029
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=91999&p=507715&hi ... ls#p453872
"The Storage Pools feature is designed to aggregate physical hard disk drives into a large storage space and to provide enhanced RAID protection for it."
but thats the thing. i don't think it's a good idea to aggregate the SSD with the HDDs. that's why i would follow the TS suggestion of creating 2 separate pools to separate them out. Does this make sense? :' sorry i'm newbie in regards to this.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”