Is RAID scrubbing update safe? (tech advis July 25)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jscottsmith
New here

Is RAID scrubbing update safe? (tech advis July 25)

Post by jscottsmith »

Hey all. I have a TS-831X with 4TB Deskstar NAS drives. I received the tech advisory on July 25 about the critical update, stating I should update to QTS 4.3.3.0238 Build 20170703, and scrub the RAID.

This sounds important, but I didn't want to pull the network down and risk trouble in our heavy production time. I'm tempted to run it now (over the weekend actually since it sounds like it takes a while), but I'm nervous about data loss. I tried searching the forums, but there's just way too much noise about topics that may or may not be related. Can anyone tell me whether or not there is any risk of loss in performing the recommended service?

Thanks!
Scott
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Is RAID scrubbing update safe? (tech advis July 25)

Post by dolbyman »

if you are worried about data loss, you apparently have no backups (otherwise you would be more worried about downtime) ... start thinking about backups asap

scrubbing has caused some data loss in the past, but only data loss that would have effectively happened on a RAID rebuild anyways (that was the issue why scrubbing was introduced)
jscottsmith
New here

Re: Is RAID scrubbing update safe? (tech advis July 25)

Post by jscottsmith »

Well, my active projects are backed up in the cloud. Many of my archived projects are backed up, but not all. I had hoped that could happen in the could as well, but that's another story.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”