Constant disk access by /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rpg1966
New here

Constant disk access by /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd?

Post by rpg1966 »

HI all, my once-quiet TVS-871 now has disks chuntering away 100% of the time. After much searching for answers, or for methods of investigating what's going on, I installed an app called IOtop. The only disk access it shows is these; sometimes two lines, sometimes three lines; see https://imgur.com/a/WlrTh

I know virtually nothing about Linux. Can anyone suggest why these processes would be accessing my disks 100% of the time?

The only observation I can make is that an extra copy of this process is added if I manually play a video or song from the NAS on my Windows PC. I have a drive mapped in Windows Explorer, although I only use that mapped drive at night for file copies.
This happens even if I go to AppCenter and stop every app, although the only apps I have installed are Plex and Emby; see https://imgur.com/a/MFRks

(I tried submitting images with the [img] tag but I kept getting the error message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.")
Last edited by rpg1966 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Constant disk access by /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd?

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
rpg1966 wrote:(I tried submitting images with the Image
I don't have an answer for your first problem, but with regard to Imgur, ensure you "Copy" the address for "Direct Link", then surround it with the Image
Last edited by OneCD on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rpg1966
New here

Post by rpg1966 »

Thanks OneCD; I tried that, and the error resolved to "Your images may only be up to 1024 pixels wide". But at least I know for next time!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

A way around that is to use one of the thumbnail sizes instead. I posted your image as a "huge thumbnail". ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

any strange processes running via "top"

?
rpg1966
New here

Post by rpg1966 »

No, nothing at all on "top" that's > 0% apart from the IOtop process and usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd.

But I've noticed that as soon as I disconnect the drive mapping from WIndows, the disk access stops. Maybe it's something like Windows trying to index the drive - but I don't have that mapped drive selected in the WIndows indexing tool.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Windows virus scanner?

rpg1966
New here

Post by rpg1966 »

Good question. I'm not sure how to disable Defender to check that out, but I'll get looking.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”