Destroyed qts/config by erasing one disk via ssh

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
elixnap
New here

Destroyed qts/config by erasing one disk via ssh

Post by elixnap »

Dear forum,

it looks like that I did a big mistake. I have a QNAP TS-228 and cannot connect anymore to it. I've applied two my second disk

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k count=1
to reset it before sending the disk back to the support.

After removing the second disk and booting my NAS nothing works anymore. I cannot access any folder or the QTS/Webgui. Chrome Console throws "ReferenceError: QTS is not defined". But I still can ping it. When I try to connect via ssh it asks for a password but does not accept my password anymore and also not the initial password. It looks like that erasing disk 2 affected as well disk1 or at least the config.

Is there anything I can do to get my qnap back to live without loosing my data?

I can reach the Smart Installation Wizard but I believe that following the wizard will delete anything on disk1.

Any hint would be helpful.

Thank you and kind regards

Felix
Last edited by elixnap on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Destroyed qts/config by erasing one disk via ssh

Post by dolbyman »

are you sure it was a RAID1 ? .. why would you even delete your drives when sending the NAS to support ? take the drives out .. and why no backups ?
elixnap
New here

Post by elixnap »

Hi,

It was definitely RAID1 with two disks. And maybe my post was not clear enough. The second disk has some errors and I will send back the second disk to WD and keep the NAS. That is why I want to delete the data on the disk before sending it back.

The good thing is that I have a backup. But I would prefer to get the NAS config working again without the need to backcopy all data from my backup.

Kind regards

Felix
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

maybe through some "swipswapping" sdb was actually disk in slot 1 ? so you killed the wrong disk ?
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

dolbyman wrote:maybe through some "swipswapping" sdb was actually disk in slot 1 ? so you killed the wrong disk ?
Yes, but the remaining disk of a RAID1 should still allow the NAS to be usable in degraded mode. Even though it has some errors, there is no indication that the NAS "ejected" it.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
MrVideo
Experience counts

Post by MrVideo »

elixnap wrote:I've applied two[sic] my second disk

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k count=1
to reset it before sending the disk back to the support.
In a later post you said that it was done to delete the data. 1MB isn't going to erase squat on the disk, other than the partition table. But, why bother? WD isn't going to extract any data and sell it on the open market. You'd be a millionaire if they did that. :mrgreen:
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Turn it on without drives, then seat the working drive, it should then boot to the GUI.
elixnap
New here

Post by elixnap »

HI,

thank you for the hint. But it was not successfull. I've tried several constellations. Just disk1, disk 1 and disk 2 together, only disk 2 and as well disk2 on position 1 (to see if there was a "swipswapping") and also with starting without drive and inserting it afterwards.

In some cases I get the wizzard offered, sometimes not. Sometimes I can access via ssh and initial password, sometimes it does not let me in - also not with the correct password from before...

Is there any way to mount the drive when I'm in the console with initial password to see if there is any data left? Or any way to reconfigure the settings from the console?

I mean I have a backup now and it is not so hurting if I need to recreate and reimport the data - but I would have a better feeling to see that I can bring the NAS also back to live without a backup.

Kind regards and thank you

Felix
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

You could try via SSH point 7 only, is it equivalent to a reset.
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... d-firmware

I think it's because you wrote random data to the disk and this has been mirrored to the other OS partition. You should have just deleted it. Or not mess at all!
elixnap
New here

Post by elixnap »

Hm. I've tried to reinitialize my QNAP and start from scratch. It looks like that there is another issue. I've run the smart wizzard and during formatting 100% nothing was going on. Then the WebUI lost its connection to the NAS. After a reboot the GUI is still not coming up. But I can connect via ssh.
Would it maybe help to reinstall the firmware through ssh? Is the QTS WebUI somehow damaged?

Kind regards and thank you

Felix

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”